News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice won't ring my Obi phone/s

Started by MikeE, November 17, 2018, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeE

I recently ported my AT&T landline to T-Mobile and then to Google Voice.  After the GV port was successful, I installed/connected my Obi200 to my landline phone and broadband cable router.  I completed the registration at obitalk.com and GV configuration shows the Obi in the Settings/ Transfer.

Obitalk shows my GV status as connected.

The problem is that I can make a call FROM my landline phone to another number, but when I call my GV number it does NOT go to my Obi landline phones to ring; it just rings in GV.

GV does NOT show any setting to enable forwarding to chat.  I have a message posted in the Google Voice forum about that difference from the obitalk guides.  In gmail I have Chat configured ON.

From other troubleshooting suggestions, I have rebooted my router, I have placed a call from google mail to another number. 

According to GV help, the Chat function is deprecated, but the tech is still there by a different name and is necessary to enable Obi connectivity.

MikeE

Currrently I can get GV to forward calls made to the GV number to a tracfone (shows as Verizon in GV) number, but when I turn the forwarding off, GV doesn't pass the ring on to the Obi connected phone/s.

I don't know if it is significant or not, but the GV settings show 2 Obi devices instead of just one in the transfer section.

drgeoff

Quote from: MikeE on November 19, 2018, 06:29:25 AM
Currrently I can get GV to forward calls made to the GV number to a tracfone (shows as Verizon in GV) number, but when I turn the forwarding off, GV doesn't pass the ring on to the Obi connected phone/s.

I don't know if it is significant or not, but the GV settings show 2 Obi devices instead of just one in the transfer section.
1.  GV will ring up to 6 endpoints simultaneously.  No need to turn off the cellphone.

2.  GV chat is gone.  Go to https://www.google.com/voice/b/0#phones.  That should show 1 OBi device and the same 9 digit number as on the bottom of your OBi.  Ensure that line is ticked.  If still not working, click on 'Edit', then on 'Show advanced settings'.  Verify that the Ring Schedule settings are appropriate.

3.  If still not working, start again from the very beginning.  See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076.  Latest firmware is build 5921 but 5898 is OK too.  Follow precisely all the bullet point steps.

MikeE

It is fixed.

The last remaining glitch was a 'faulty' 2 line splitter for which only the line 2 had been used successfully in the past and the line 1 part which had never been tested/used previously wasn't working properly.

Retrospectively, I should have done part of my latter troubleshooting differently; Obi directly to a 'simple' phone instead of a connection to half of a complex 2 line system.

I did some rearranging and simplified the system.

Thanks for the help.

MikeE

Quote from: MikeE on November 19, 2018, 06:57:54 PM
It is fixed.

The last remaining glitch was a 'faulty' 2 line splitter for which only the line 2 had been used successfully in the past and the line 1 part which had never been tested/used previously wasn't working properly.

Retrospectively, I should have done part of my latter troubleshooting differently; Obi directly to a 'simple' phone instead of a connection to half of a complex 2 line system.

I did some rearranging and simplified the system.

The 2 line splitter wasn't 'broken' - the problem was that I was inadvertently connecting the Obi to the whole house AND the AT&T system.

Now I have disconnected the unused ATT lines at the 'phone demarc box' and reconnected the Obi to the whole house line 1, which consists of 12 outlets and 7 ringing phones, 3 of which are on one outlet/wireless system, so there are 2 wireless systems (with 1 phone and 3 phones) which might power their own ringers and 3 'old fashioned' phones whose ringers need to be powered from the line they are connected.

A few days ago I had suboptimal incoming (but not outgoing) voice quality, but I discovered poor download speed on my broadband connectivity, so I believe that is fixed now.