News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any possible issues with buying a used Obi200 at a garage sale?

Started by SkOrPn, November 19, 2018, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkOrPn

Hello again,

Quick question. If you buy a used Obi200 from a previous user that had registered the device for use with GV, can the device's OBi number be transferred to the new owner? My neighbor only wants $10 for it, so it is very tempting but ONLY if it can be registered to the new owner. My current Obi devices have a number associated to my OBiTalk account, which makes me think you can't buy used Obi's and register them like you can with a brand new device.

So, are there any concerns with buying a used Obi200 that I should be aware of before I make the mistake? Thanks

SteveInWA

Ordinarily, I'd strongly advise against buying a used OBi, but the issue has always been regarding buying from a stranger (via Craigslist or eBay or sewn into the jacket of the guy selling Rollecks watches).  But, since you apparently know this person, and we can thus assume they're legit, then sure, go for it.  But first, that person must delete that OBi from their OBiTALK dashboard, to free up it's OBi number/MAC for use on another OBiTALK account.  So, if you can work with the neighbor to do that, then you're fine.

SkOrPn

Thanks Steve for the info. Yeah I fully trust him.

Thanks again.