News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Product: OBi200 + New OBiWiFi Set-Up

Started by Marketing, May 21, 2013, 01:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marketing

Now Available !!

Dear Forum Members,

You are the first to know about a new product called the OBi200.  Obihai will sell is now selling the OBi200 on Amazon.com for $59.99 (with free shipping),  Watch the OBi200 Amazon.com product page (link) as well as the OBiTALK forum for more information and discussion on this exciting product.  An OBi200 product page with data sheet on Obihai.com are coming soon.

Introducing the OBi200:
In a nutshell, the OBi200 features a single phone port and single Ethernet connection to the Internet. It provides much of the same call control / call routing functionality of the OBi202 including support for the OBiWiFi and OBiBT USB accessories, 4 VoIP services (Google Voice and SIP), OBiTALK and T.38 fax – when connected to a service provider who also supports the T.38 protocol.  At just under 70mm square and 27mm high, the OBi200 is arguably the smallest, most powerful VoIP device available today.

• Works with Google Voice for FREE calls in the USA and Canada - Great international rates too!
  • VoIP ATA Supports 4 VoIP Accts (SIP and/or Google Voice) for BYOD Services; Anveo, Callcentric, Sipgate, VoIP.ms, etc.
  • OBi Calling Features: Caller ID, Call Forward, Anonymous Caller Blocking, Message Waiting Indication, 3-Way Conf Calling
  • OBiTALK Portal Features: Manage Your OBi, Connect to Your Friends' OBi Devices, Add Services, Download Apps for PC, Speed Dial Up to 99 OBi Endpoints or Phone Numbers
  • Make free calls on the OBiTALK Network - Connect to other OBi Devices or use the free OBiON for iPhone and Android apps.

The OBi200 is perfect for customers who do not have a traditional telco phone service and want the savings and simplicity of using a VoIP service for all their calls.

With its support for a single line phone port, support for Google Voice and many other SIP-based VoIP providers, the OBi200 provides you with an abundance of control and convenience from the comfort of your home phone.

The OBi200 also features a built-in USB port which can be used with the OBiWiFi and OBiBT accessories.  Use OBiBT to pair up to two (2) mobile phones to the OBi200 so you can make and receive calls using your mobile phone's service provider.  Use OBiWiFi to connect your OBi200 to the Internet via your WiFi access point or any available WiFi Hot Spot - e.g. Phone + OBi200 are in the kitchen and Internet access is in the basement. Note: A USB hub is required if connecting 2 or more OBi USB accessories.

Speaking of OBiWiFi, since the OBi200 doesn't have a LAN port with which to configure the OBiWiFi access point settings, we came up with a new way to configure OBiWiFi using any WiFi enabled device with a browser.  This method will work with any of our devices that support a USB port and OBiWiFi accessory.  Here is what you do...

Before you begin, update the firmware on your OBi device, using a wired connection to the Internet.  The easiest way to do this is to dial ***6 from a phone attached to the OBi device's phone port.

Instructions for Setting Up OBiWiFi with a WiFi + Browser Enabled Device:
1.  Connect the OBiWiFi to the OBi2xx/OBi3xx USB port and power on the OBi device.

2.  From a device with WiFi and a browser, e.g. computer, tablet or smart phone, open its network settings and connect to a WiFi network called "OBiWiFi_Setup." Your browser-equipped device will automatically connect to the OBiWiFi_Setup network.  Note: If using a computer with a wired Ethernet connection, make sure it is disconnected from any wired network.

3.  Now, from your browser-equipped device go to this web page: http://obiconnect.com/wifi
    Enter the OBi device's administrative username and password to access the configuration web page. Note:  By default, the username and password are 'admin' and 'admin' respectively.

4.  After log-in, the device's browser will show a screen allowing you to select your WiFi Network Name (SSID) from the list and (if necessary), a WiFi Network Password.  Click the Connect button to complete the setup.  Allow 30 seconds for OBi device and  OBiWiFi adapter to connect to the your wireless network.  Note: You can verify if OBiWiFi is working properly by checking if the OBi device has acquired a valid IP address.  To check this, from a phone attached to the OBi, dial ***1, and listen to the IP address in the announcement.

giqcass

Obi 100 and Obi 202 had a baby?  Congratulations!
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

I am looking at the picture and I see the new device has 4 conductors for the phone line.  Does that mean it can support 2 separate phone lines simultaneously with the proper adapter?

An adapter like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Steren-4-Conductor-2-Line-Adapter-300-324/dp/B000E9U9MG

Marketing

QuoteDoes that mean it can support 2 separate phone lines simultaneously with the proper adapter?

No.  The OBi200 supports a single line (inside pair) telephone (or telephone system).

Shale

I would hope this WiFi setup method supports entering a pass phrase rather than requiring a hex number.

Ostracus

Would be something if an ObiWifi allowed one to turn that "Internet" port into a LAN port.

Mango

Will this product be available to Canadians, at prices competitive to those at American retailers?  I just checked and the OBi100 is currently $39 with free shipping in the USA, but $55+shipping in Canada.  We love OBis too!!

Shale

Quote from: Ostracus on May 21, 2013, 01:24:48 PM
Would be something if an ObiWifi allowed one to turn that "Internet" port into a LAN port.
I presume that you could use the internet port to program the OBi200 after enabling the WAN port for that use via touchtone.

carl

I do not want to spoil the party, but I do not understand the advantages of this device. Why would somebody skip or downgrade from Obi 202, where you get for a few dollars more 2 phone lines?!
If you need a more basic smaller and cheaper device, Obi100 does the job for far less. I wish obi would have listened to improvement suggestions made on this forum rather than creating this. (Okay, I will not compare it to windows 8 ;D)

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: carl on May 21, 2013, 10:06:04 PM
I do not want to spoil the party, but I do not understand the advantages of this device. Why would somebody skip or downgrade from Obi 202, where you get for a few dollars more 2 phone lines?!
If you need a more basic smaller and cheaper device, Obi100 does the job for far less. I wish obi would have listened to improvement suggestions made on this forum rather than creating this. (Okay, I will not compare it to windows 8 ;D)

I'm not a mouthpiece for Obi marketing, however I think the features vs. the Obi100 and 110 are pretty clear: Those two devices do not allow WiFi or Bluetooth. WiFi especially makes this device with it's compact size ideal for what road warriors consider a travel router, i.e., take with you on travels and use in office, hotel room or other temp work space.  I'll predict this makes it on to the lists of 'favored tech devices for frequent travelers.'

In addition, the 100 and 110 do not do GV Multi Ring, This one does, I believe. There are other smaller differences between 100/110 and this one, 4 SPs vs 2 SPs in the 100/110, and so on and gets less relevant (more available star codes, more speed dials, richer feature set vs the 100/110...).

carl

True about the WiFi, although you can get a separate WiFi device for your existing Obi, but yes, it might be something for travellers, however for that price I doubt that.Anyway, unlike with Obi 202, where I placed my order within 10 minutes of finding out about the product, I do not feel any urge to buy this thing.

LeoKing

I agree with Carl, I'd rather pay extra money to get the OBi202 with 2 phone ports for home/office setup. For travelers who would like to bring their GV numbers along, I prefer using the Google Voice app and Groove IP or Spare Phone on my cell phone which would be much more convenient and much cheaper.

guyinsb

I would be curious as to how many OBi202/OBi200 use BT.  Few, I suspect.
My preference would be to see a one-port OBi50:  single phone port, no LAN, no WAN, built-in WiFi.
Who wants the hassle of wired ethernet at this point?

giqcass

Quote from: guyinsb on June 05, 2013, 02:42:13 PM
I would be curious as to how many OBi202/OBi200 use BT.  Few, I suspect.
My preference would be to see a one-port OBi50:  single phone port, no LAN, no WAN, built-in WiFi.
Who wants the hassle of wired ethernet at this point?

I like your OBi50 idea but I would re-imagine it just a bit further.
The Obi Travel edition is a typical phone handset with caller ID.
The Obi Travel edition can work entirely on it's own to make and receive calls but when you are at home plug it into your existing phone system and use any phone in the house.

It's an Obi built directly into a phone with WIFi.

By the way I always have a cell phone paired with my OBi.  It provides me backup calling if the internet or power fails and it only cost $3.33 per month.

Mango

Quote from: guyinsb on June 05, 2013, 02:42:13 PMWho wants the hassle of wired ethernet at this point?

Me.  My OBi, modem, and router are installed just a few inches from my demarc, so running cables is very easy.  I realize that wireless technology is quite mature, but I still think ethernet has fewer points of failure.  So when it's this easy, I'll use ethernet instead.

As for an OBi phone with wifi, wouldn't a smartphone be excellent for that purpose?  http://www.obihai.com/obiapps.html

BerkeleyUser

I successfully set up my 200 with the wifi adapter in my home office.  It has an IP from the router in another part of the house - so far so good.  Now I'd like to connect a wired-only printer and desktop PC in the home office to my LAN, which I was hoping to do via a 4 port switch on the 200's internet port, but no luck so far.  Should this setup work, and if so, what am I missing?  Thanks!

giqcass

Quote from: BerkeleyUser on June 19, 2013, 02:05:47 PM
I'd like to connect a wired-only printer and desktop PC in the home office to my LAN, which I was hoping to do via a 4 port switch on the 200's internet port, but no luck so far.  Should this setup work, and if so, what am I missing?  Thanks!

It would be cool if you could do that but the internet port on the 200 is for a connection to the internet only.  It's not a Lan port and the Obi202 is not a network extender or network sharing device.  People have tried that with the Obi202 as well.  No one has had any success so far as I know.

OZOi

toysareforboys2

Obi with USB Wifi:

I need to plug a much more powerful WiFi adapter into the USB port. What chipset does the Obi wifi adapter use? Can we use our own USB WiFi adapters? If so, do you have a compatibility list?

If not I'll have to use an access point with ethernet into the Obi, but I'd rather not have to go that route :(

Let me know ASAP please and thanks.

-Jamie M.