News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 and faxing

Started by Randall, April 03, 2020, 11:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall

I have an Obi100 that works fine, so I bought a 202 and a WiFi adaptor to provide a phone line for a fax machine (it's actually a Canon Multifunction, but whatever).

I have a VTech cordless phone plugged into the proper port on the MFC.

I have a fax to send.

I try sending it using the Canon - it dials, but there is no ENQ/NAK and the call fails, so it tries again - and fails again.  It prints an error page which says "Busy/No Dial Tone".

I mentioned the VTech - I can dial that same fax number using that VTech handset and I get the fax tone.

What am I doing wrong?   (The Firmware is current on the 202).

ProfTech

Not sure if I can help you or not, but there may be two things to look at on the 202. 1: The 202 has a checkbox for "Fax Only" in the phone port settings section. You may want to try checking that box if you will be using the port exclusively for fax and 2: Check the codec section in use for that port. There is a complete section that deals with faxing.

Faxing over an IP connection [as opposed to a POTS line] is tricky to set up and may be iffy at best. I got it to work after 2 years. I only occasionally use it so I can't really say how well or how consistently it works.

HAS-MS

Sounds like the line and phone cords are backwards. Look carefully at which is which. If they are backwards
the fax machine gets no line to use.

Randall

Today I tried connecting the MFC to the other port on the Obi202.

It rang and I got the first part of the handshake - but then nothing.

A bit later (after it got tired of waiting, no doubt), it re-dialed.

Again, I got the first part of the handshake and nothing more.

(This is a step in the right direction - formerly I wasn't getting ANY of the handshake.)

Any ideas?

(Both ports are configured to use GV).

Moonwalker

First of all, I'm not sure why you mentioned a new wifi adapter since faxing doesn't have anything to do with wifi when dealing with fax over a 202. Everything should be hardwired through Ethernet. No wifi.

I have three different GV numbers working on my 202. Two for voice calls and one for FAX. See if this works for you:

In ObiTalk::
Set up both voice numbers on port 1.
Set one of those numbers as primary incoming and outgoing on port 1.
Set the other voice number as incoming only on port 1.
For both the two numbers leave both port 2 boxes unchecked.
Set up your fax number on port 2.
Set the fax number as primary incoming and outgoing on port 2 (leave both port 1 boxes unchecked).

Plug the phone line for your home phone into port 1.
Connect the phone line from your Canon multi into port 2.

Run whatever set ups the Canon has on the printer and/or on your computer for fax setup. I can't help you with that because my printer/fax is HP.

If you follow this setup it should work. It all works flawlessly for me with one caveat. Remember I said wifi isn't part of the picture? I can't fax unless I"m directly connected to my HP FAX via USB. Small price to pay to send massive faxes for free.

Moonwalker

It sounds like you're running your voice phone through your printer, which honestly doesn't make sense to me since you  shouldn't need to do that at all now that you have a 202. Am I misunderstanding this? If that's what your'e doing, plug the phone into port 1 on the OBI and your FAX into Port 2. Set them up as above. See if that works.

himpstergamer

Quote from: Randall on May 28, 2020, 08:30:15 PM
Today I tried connecting the MFC to the other port on the Obi202.

It rang and I got the first part of the handshake - but then nothing.
check cps
A bit later (after it got tired of waiting, no doubt), it re-dialed.

Again, I got the first part of the handshake and nothing more.
click test games
(This is a step in the right direction - formerly I wasn't getting ANY of the handshake.)

Any ideas?

(Both ports are configured to use GV).

Look carefully at which is which. If they are backwards
the fax machine gets no line to use.