News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Down?

Started by Jeff13664, October 10, 2019, 09:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff13664

My Obi200 stopped working with GV I see  Connecting to 216.239.36.144

I have done a hard reboot still nothing.. 

Is the GV service down right now?

drgeoff

Quote from: Jeff13664 on October 10, 2019, 09:33:53 AM
My Obi200 stopped working with GV I see  Connecting to 216.239.36.144

It is always a good idea to have a look at the titles of other recent posts before posting.

glenviewjeff

Quote from: Jeff13664 on October 10, 2019, 09:33:53 AM
My Obi200 stopped working with GV I see  Connecting to 216.239.36.144

Down for me as well (I'm in Chicago FWIW) including after reboot. My Obitalk is stuck with dashboard status "Connecting to 216.239.36.xxx" My E911 service is registered.

Ignore the unhelpful response from Geoff. Maybe Google Voice is only down for those named Jeff? :)

dblagent007

I have the same problem with both my obi200 and my obi1062. I have two GV lines and both lines say "Connecting to 216.239.36.144" on both devices.

OBiSupport

OBi devices registered to Google Voice services may be experiencing intermittent connection issues.  There is no need to restart/reboot the OBi device.  Service will restore on its own. 

OBiTALK device management services run completely independent from the voice services configured on the device. And except for first time configuration, said voice services are in no way dependent on OBiTALK service.

trboyden

"OBi devices registered to Google Voice services may be experiencing intermittent connection issues"

OK captain obvious. But why are they experiencing intermittent connection issues? My service has been down all day.

SteveInWA

Quote from: trboyden on October 10, 2019, 12:34:52 PM
"OBi devices registered to Google Voice services may be experiencing intermittent connection issues"

OK captain obvious. But why are they experiencing intermittent connection issues? My service has been down all day.

Remember:  Google Voice is not a free phone company.  Use of OBiTALK devices with Google Voice is not the primary purpose of the service, although said use is supported.  Outages or other service issues can and do occur.

You are unlikely to get an explanation as to the root cause of this problem.

Sign into the Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number, and go here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

The primary methods of using Google Voice are:  make and receive phone calls using either the Google Voice website, or the via the Android or iOS Google Voice apps, or via linking and using an actual 10-digit US land line or mobile phone number.

These methods should still be working normally.

sandb

Just that some of us are trying to DECREASE our dependence on cell phones and the cost of cell phones so we look to obi and google voice.  And unless the people you want to talk to uses the computer to make their phone calls, you can't call them or talk to them.  Linking a land line phone to your google voice number also does not work because there is enough lag time that the call quality is compromised.

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 10, 2019, 01:31:16 PM
Quote from: trboyden on October 10, 2019, 12:34:52 PM

Remember:  Google Voice is not a free phone company.  Use of OBiTALK devices with Google Voice is not the primary purpose of the service, although said use is supported.  Outages or other service issues can and do occur.

You are unlikely to get an explanation as to the root cause of this problem.

Sign into the Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number, and go here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

The primary methods of using Google Voice are:  make and receive phone calls using either the Google Voice website, or the via the Android or iOS Google Voice apps, or via linking and using an actual 10-digit US land line or mobile phone number.

These methods should still be working normally.

SteveInWA

Quote from: sandb on October 11, 2019, 02:19:10 AM
And unless the people you want to talk to uses the computer to make their phone calls, you can't call them or talk to them.  Linking a land line phone to your google voice number also does not work because there is enough lag time that the call quality is compromised.

Neither of those assertions are correct, and it suggests that you haven't actually tried to use the service.

Google Voice makes and receives telephone calls right in your browser.  You can call nearly any regular telephone number on earth.  The other person answers the call on their telephone. It is using the same back-end infrastructure as your OBiTALK device, and the calls will have the same or better audio quality.  They can call your Google Voice phone number, and you can answer it on your browser.  This is not like Skype or Whatsapp -- it is a regular telephone call.

There is absolutely no lag time when forwarding calls via a land line.  Millions of people are using this method daily.

If you don't like the service, and you don't want to use its primary calling methods, then there are plenty of alternative service providers that are easy to set up on your OBiTALK device.