News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI line 1 with 2 line phone

Started by Drac144, February 27, 2021, 01:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac144

I just received an OBI202.  I have an old 2 line phone.  Both lines are connected to standard AT&T residential service.  If I connect line 1 of my OBI to one of the 2 lines of the phone leaving the other line plugged into the AT&T line the OBI goes crazy: the power light turns red and the other lights disappear or flash.

If I plug the OBI line 1 into a single line phone it works without a problem.

The kicker is: if I plug Line 2 of the OBI into that same 2 line phone with the other line still connected to AT&T - NO PROBLEM.  and I can connect OBI line 1 into a single line phone at the same time - NO PROBLEM. 

It is only having line 1 of the OBI plugged into a 2 line phone that causes an issue.  Is this a defective OBI or a design issue???

SteveInWA

The problem is that you are connecting one or both of the OBi 202's phone ports to live telephone service voltage from AT&T.  You can fry your device this way.  NEVER do that.  What are you trying to accomplish?

You apparently have one or two lines of phone service from AT&T (your description is ambiguous).  You didn't mention having any sort of Internet Telephone Service Provider(s) (VoIP ITSP) provisioned on the 202.  Do you understand how the device works?

Are you planning to get rid of your AT&T phone service and replace it with VoIP telephone service provided by Google Voice or some other ITSP?

drgeoff

There is nothing wrong with your OBi.  The behaviour you experienced is to be expected.

The PHONE1 socket of an OBi1202 is wired to support a 2-line phone.  One phone circuit is on the centre two contacts (3 and 4).  The other phone circuit on contacts 2 and 5. .

The PHONE2 jack has only its contacts 3 and 4 wired up. They are directly connected to the 2 and 5 contacts of PHONE1 jack

If you use a cable with 4 conductors between PHONE1 jack and the 2-line phone then both phone circuits of the Obi202 are connected to the 2-line phone.  If you then connect an AT&T line to the phone you are also connecting it to the OBi's second phone circuit.  Do not do that as not only does it cause the flashing LEDs etc, it can can permanent damage to the OBi. (And AT&T will not be pleased either!)

If you want the OBi PHONE1 jack on line1 of the phone and AT&T on line 2 of the phone be sure to use a cable with only 2 conductors.

Drac144

Drgeoff,

Your assessment of my situation is correct.  I have a 2 line phone with TWO connectors.  I had been using the phone with two separate connectors to two different AT&T lines.  When I connected the OBI202 to line 1 of my phone I still had an AT&T line plugged in to the second line connector.  I did not know that the OBI line 1 supported two phone lines on the one connector.  That explains why it worked fine when the phone was plugged into the OBI line 2 (which does not support 2 phone lines).  As you said I was connecting the OBI output in parallel with the AT&T line. I am surprised and pleased that I did not damage the OBI.  I have the OBI connected to a VOIP phone service and am using the OBI line 2 to connect to my 2 line phone (the other line of my 2 line phone is still connected to an AT&T line. I am using the OBI line 1 to connect to a FAX machine.