News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Config Update issue: Getting "False" Warning to upgrade device

Started by BigJim_McD, June 01, 2015, 01:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJim_McD

Google Voice Configuration Update issue:  Getting "False" Warning that:

"This device needs to be upgraded to continue."
   "Click Ok to upgrade device, or Cancel to go back."

––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – ––  ––– – –– ––– – ––
I have two OBi202's, one out of warranty and one new (in warranty).
Both OBi202's are on the newest firmware version.

HardwareVersion   1.4
SoftwareVersion   3.0.1.4738

This issue is common to OBi202 and OBi200 devices. 
The OBi110 device does not share this issue.
––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – ––  ––– – –– ––– – ––

When attempting to update SP2 that is configured for a Google Voice account that is
currently working, on the older, (out of warranty) working OBi202, I receive the following error.

"This OBi device 1 year support period has expired and
your device needs to have its firmware updated."

"To continue with the process of upgrading your OBi device, please pay for
extended support as show below under Support and Warranty."

"Once your device support period is valid, you can proceed with firmware update."

This is my main OBi ATA device that is currently working with Google Voice, Vestalink and
Voip.ms.  I was only attempting to update the Google Voice Configuration Settings, as I
planned to make this one a "Standby" unit and use the new OBi202 as my new "Main" ATA.
––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – ––  ––– – –– ––– – –– –

The new OBi202 (in Warranty) displays:
   The page at www.obitalk.com says:

If I click  Ok, I go through very quick progression as if the OBi202 is being upgraded,
but nothing actually happens {This OBi202 was upgraded after I received it  just a few
days ago to  I loop around to the same prompts again.

Next I'm kicked out of the OBiTalk Dashboard.  Once I log back into the OBiTalk
Dashboard, I have a prompt to upgrade my software.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – –
I click Ok.  

The update process starts, with prompt displaying:

Update in progress
Please wait while we update 500xxxxyz.

After approximately 3-5 minutes, your OBi will complete the update process and
automatically restart. During the update process, the power LED will flash red.

Please DO NOT remove the power to the OBi device while this process is in progress.

Thank you - OBiTALK Team

After several minutes, I get the prompt:
Successfully upgraded 5007xxxyz's firmware to 3.0.1.4738
– – – – – – – – – – – – – –

I go back and attempt to update SP2 that has a "Working Google Voice"
account that was deleted and added back a few days ago.

The warning is repeated to:
––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – –– ––– – ––  ––– – –– ––– – –– –
BigJimMcD

Taoman

Sounds like there may be a bug in the firmware. Suggest you downgrade your firmware at this point.

Read the last few posts of this thread and see what you think:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.0

restamp

The concern I have with BigJim's post is the part where it appears OBiHAI now requires a firmware upgrade in order to allow a Google Voice alteration, and then requires a service contract to do a firmware upgrade.  Is OBiHAI moving to a model where new firmware releases will not be free?  Is the OBiTalk portal only available to devices under contract?

It still appears possible to download the firmware and install it directly, for free, although I have not personally upgraded to the latest firmware yet.  Let's hope this is just an OBiTalk bug.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: BigJim_McD on June 01, 2015, 01:34:26 PM
When attempting to update SP2 that is configured for a Google Voice account that is
currently working, on the older, (out of warranty) working OBi202, I receive the following error.

"This OBi device 1 year support period has expired and
your device needs to have its firmware updated."

"To continue with the process of upgrading your OBi device, please pay for
extended support as show below under Support and Warranty."

"Once your device support period is valid, you can proceed with firmware update."

Huh?  What does this mean?  I've never heard of this before... having to pay for extended OBi support before being able to upgrade firmware.  Weird... OBiTALK.com is just crazy wacked out weird.

OE

Lisa2

I am having the same issue today with my Obi 202, I manually updated to the latest firmware and ObiTalk still wants $10 for me to configure google voice!!  I have no intention of paying obi $10 a year to use a device I already own....
Rick

RFC3261

Quote from: restamp on June 01, 2015, 02:32:29 PM
Is OBiHAI moving to a model where new firmware releases will not be free?

Maybe they are moving to the Oracle hardware support model (this p***** off a lot of existing customers of their existing servers who expected free bios updates for "life")?

QuoteLet's hope this is just an OBiTalk bug.

Without a statement one way or another from OBiHAIi, that would be my first guess.  They have "broken" the portal before when they upgraded it.

On the other hand, warning people "Your device is not under warranty, firmware upgrades always have the possibility to brick your device and if that happens you will need to replace it on your dime.  Do you want to proceed at your own risk, or purchase an extended warranty?" could (after better wordsmithing) be a reasonable warning as long as they do not move to hard sell territory.

zorlac

I never paid any attention to the "support & warranty" tab before but this is how it reads on my obi200 after the latest FW update.  ???

Hardware Warranty and Premium Technical Support

Start Date Jan 2015
End Date Jan 2016
Status Active
Extended Warranty + Service
Price $20.00
Duration 1 year
Status Available

Description: Extend your OBi device's warranty to a second full-year and receive premium technical support via email and phone, from Obihai's Help Desk experts

I'm going to download the prior FW revision to have on hand, JIC.  :-\

BigJim_McD

Quote from: Taoman on June 01, 2015, 02:10:18 PM
Sounds like there may be a bug in the firmware. Suggest you downgrade your firmware at this point.

Read the last few posts of this thread and see what you think:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.0

Taoman,  Thanks for the advise and the link.  I downgraded my two OBi202's and my OBi200 and updating Google Voice Configuration is no longer an issue.
BigJimMcD

smartpro

BigJim_McD hi

Having the same issue here.

To What version did you downgrade?

I have tried to downgrade to 4350 and 4330 no succes.

Thank You in advance

BigJim_McD

I used the link posted by azrobert to download and install version 4581.

I downgraded two OBi202's and one OBi200 devices successfully to version 4581.
After the downgrade, I can reconfigure and/or add Google Voice Accounts without
any issue.  I just have to overlook the "Ugly Triangle" that tells me a firmware
update is available.

==============================================
Quote from: azrobert on May 31, 2015, 08:49:58 PM
You were asking how to restore the configuration after deleting your OBi from OBitalk, so I assumed you were going to delete it. After you delete your OBi from OBiTalk, I think you should also do a factory reset. Now you will have to re-enter the passwords. After doing the above I don't know of the situation will be better or worst.

Maybe you should try a firmware downgrade first.
Download here:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-0-1-4581.fw

Load the firmware locally.
Go to System Management -> Device Update
==============================================
BigJimMcD

smartpro

Thanks for the info.

After manually writing  ver 4581 on the Old 202, I was able to upgrade ***6 to 3.0.1.4738 on the 202 and everything is working as expected.

The Old 202 was on my old office and had been about 1 year with out no use or internet.

My conclusion is that a specific version of a Firmware was the culprit of this problem.

transam98

Hello I just got a 202, Im getting a hostage firmware warning/ransom to be paid of $10.00. I got it used, Ive went to EXPERT Mode and read about downgrading the FW, in Expert more I put in the URL of supposedly older FW that works, I did a SAVE to unit at the bottom and rebooted...

Can someone be kind enough to point me where I can downgrade so I can use this with GV ?

Id really appreciate help ! Smiley thanks in advance

ProfTech

You need to download either 4822 or 4972 from the link that someone posted on this board. Some say 4972 has a bug. I recently upgraded my daughters 200 to 4822 with no issue. Delete your Obi from the portal. Then disconnect your Obi from the internet and connect it directly to your computer using a crossover ethernet cable. Then manually install the firmware file you downloaded. Once you do this you can reconnect the Obi to the internet and put it on the Obitalk network, if you desire. You Should be able to use Google Voice if desired.

transam98

I gotchya !! I know exactly how to do what your talking about above ! :) Will delete it from my profile and then connect directly to it and Ill UL the FW to It Tao(above) gave a link for I think it was 4822 ! will try that and post back ! thnks :)

bluechip

Upgrading firmware manually and then going back to using OBiTalk causes the same disruption to repeatedly occur. Happened 3x in my case, each about a month apart. OBi was disabled, showed triangle, indicated an incomplete firmware upgrade. Occurred even though Auto Provisioning was OFF.

Apparently GV can't be used without the OBiTalk configuration active. And after the first year, using OBiTalk requires the $10 Extended Warranty. Other option is to not use GV (only SIP), delete profile on OBiTalk, and uncheck the 3 Auto Provisioning boxes.

Anyone have a permanent fix that works?
:(

transam98

I did what PROFTECH suggested (connect PC directly to OBI and ADMIN and do a FW Upgrade manually, also REMOVED it from obitalk (B4) and then did a reboot and that false warning ransomware went away never came back (at least for me eheh) :) Now im running TWO Obi 202's side by side :)

drgeoff

Quote from: bluechip on December 17, 2015, 07:57:49 PMAnd after the first year, using OBiTalk requires the $10 Extended Warranty.

Anyone have a permanent fix that works?
:(

It is completely untrue that "after the first year, using OBiTalk requires the $10 Extended Warranty".

That and the permanent fix has already had extensive discussion in these forums.

SteveInWA

That and the permanent fix has already had extensive discussion in these forums.

For example, here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10065.msg66486#msg66486