News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

autodial from my pc with GV help needed

Started by sb6151, June 05, 2015, 06:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sb6151

What I am trying to accomplish is to dial from my address directory on my computer have it ring my phone (POT)and when i pick up, dial the phone number I selected in my contacts.

I have a Obi200 and a obi202 (I can use either) with google voice set up as SP1
I have the obiapp on my PC
I am using Jitsi which is similar to X-lite or express talk but with the amazing ability to automatically see my outlook contacts from Exchange and I find it much more convenient than outlook.

I have a POT plugged in to the obi box so i would like to chose a name and number with jitsi have it ring the POT and when i pick up have it dial the rest of the number similar to other voice services.

I can get the phone to ring but nothing happens from there.  Is this even possible?  Am I using the right tools or am i going about this all wrong.

I am not even opposed to buying a Cisco phone and do this it it helps
http://blog.obihai.com/2012/08/use-your-obi202-as-google-voice-gateway.html

OzarkEdge

Your goal is worthy... to autodial from a contact database on your computer... but your approach is probably too wishful.

One method is to have a computer data modem on the same extension or OBi phone port as your desk phone.  Then have a contact database that supports autodialing a contact phone number.  The user double clicks on the number, the contact program uses the modem to dial the number, and then the user picks up the desk phone on the same line to take over the call.  The user may have to dismiss the modem so that it is no longer a party to the call.

I use this method with an old TAPI-enabled contact database program.  My OBi202 phone port1 feeds lines L1+L2 to my 2-line house tel wiring, and phone port2 daisy chains L2 through my PC data modem to my desk phone.  My PC dials the call and my desk phone takes it over... all on the same extension, line L2.

There may be more elegant solutions, but you will have to discover and understand and implement any such solution according to its design, starting with the ability of the contact database to initiate a call and the ability of the OBi to join your desk phone with that call.

OE

azrobert

This is how Google Voice was originally designed to work.
Sign into your GV account.
Click on the red Call Button on the upper left of the screen.
Enter a phone Number to Call.
You can cut and paste a number.
Select a Phone to Call With.
Click Connect.
You can also use call history to place a call.
GV will call the forwarding number you entered.
After you answer, GV will call the number.

Calling your OBi using OBiTalk is not an option.
It was an option in the past, but Google removed it.
You will have to setup a forwarding number for your OBi.
You can get a free DID from Callcentric, IPKall or IPComms.

sb6151

Thanks for your kind words.  I thought of the modem thing as a backup but really like Jitsi over Outlook and using a dial up modem seems so ugly  :)

OzarkEdge

Well, keep us posted on your progress.  I think you would want to autodial one call (one billing) and join it with your OBi phone port... and keep Google's nose out of your business.

Can Jitsi call over the LAN through the OBi out a trunk AND ring or allow the OBi phone port to barge into the call...

OE

QBZappy

Quote from: sb6151 on June 05, 2015, 08:13:20 AM
Thanks for your kind words.  I thought of the modem thing as a backup but really like Jitsi over Outlook and using a dial up modem seems so ugly  :)

sb6151,

I have used Jitsi. It has the ability to read Outlook contacts directly and dial out via sip. No need to use Tapi modems anymore. In the Jitsi configuration (Tools/Options) choose address book for Outlook instead of LDAP if you are using Exchange. Then in the plug ins section select "User search contact source" and click on the update button. I'm not certain you need this last step. It works for me.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

sb6151

Jitsi talks to outlook by default so no issue there, getting my phone to ring and forward is more the issue.  Using Outlook is not the end of the world, I just like the way Jitsi behaves and hooking up an analog modem seem like a work around. 

My options left are
1 - analog modem and outlook
2 - see what options the Cisco phone have
3 - My coworker wants to setup FreePBX

To bad Google will not ring the Obi or Obi will give us the API as either of those would solve the problem.  If anyone has any ideas i have missed i would love to hear them.

SteveInWA

Do what Robert described.  That's the most "modern" and direct approach.

The only non-trivial part is importing your Outlook contacts into Google Contacts, and add a real (10-digit, US) telephone number to your Google Voice forwarding phones list.  That number will then be used as the "call with" target.

sb6151

I did not find Roberts post all that helpful.  I know how Google voice works I have been using it since before it was available to the public.  I don't want to have a monthly expense with another phone carrier that is why I bought the Obi.  So far the best solution appears to be the modem and I think OzarkEdge is on the same page

OzarkEdge

Quote from: OzarkEdge on June 05, 2015, 09:03:29 AM
Can Jitsi call over the LAN through the OBi out a trunk AND ring or allow the OBi phone port to barge into the call...

Here is a topic that discusses single stage dialing from a SIP client out an OBi trunk http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.0

If Jitsi can dial a contact through an OBi trunk, then the only trick remaining is to join that call from the OBi phone port.

I don't have time right now to explore this, but it may be possible... the hardest part may be finding a SIP client you like that can access your contact information natively, and this may already be in place (Jitsi?)...

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: sb6151 on June 07, 2015, 08:11:10 AM
I did not find Roberts post all that helpful.  I know how Google voice works I have been using it since before it was available to the public.  I don't want to have a monthly expense with another phone carrier that is why I bought the Obi.  So far the best solution appears to be the modem and I think OzarkEdge is on the same page

I guess you missed the word free in Robert's reply.

sb6151

I checked those sights out they all seem to want money, did something change or am I missing something?

azrobert

Callcentric has free DID's with a NY area code for inbound calls.
They will change $1.50/mo for E911 unless you lie and say it will only be used for international.
You also need a free IP Freedom account.
http://www.callcentric.com/products/

IPKall is totally free.
Click on "*Sign-Up*"
http://www.ipkall.com/

Some people have audio problems when pointing the DID directly to their Public IP Address. If you have the problem, just use a free service like SIP2SIP.

IPComms is totally free.
http://www.ipcomms.net/freedid

I recommend this service. You can register your OBI to your IPComms account.

sb6151

I did understand the "free" part but it isn't free if you want to call any phone in the US you must purchase phone plan that is the beauty of Google Voice, all of those service require a calling plan unless I am missing something

azrobert

Quote from: sb6151 on July 27, 2015, 08:31:21 AM
I did understand the "free" part but it isn't free if you want to call any phone in the US you must purchase phone plan that is the beauty of Google Voice, all of those service require a calling plan unless I am missing something
I thought you understood how GV works
GV requires a forwarding DID to call your OBi
You define a free DID on your OBi
You initiate an outbound call from GV
GV calls your OBi via the free DID
This is an inbound call, so the DID service provider doesn't charge for the call
After you answer the inbound call on your OBi, GV completes the outbound call
All FREE
If you use the Chrome browser and the GV Plugin, you can click on a phone number on any WEB page to initiate a call