News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Endless loop setting up the OBi100

Started by BeeBee, June 06, 2015, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeBee

We had a well-working OBi100 at my mom's house which sat unplugged and unused after her death for a few months, during which time we added her Google Voice number to my own OBi110 to retrieve any calls that required our attention.

Going back to her house today, and after deleting her number from my OBi110, we reconnected her OBi100 expecting everything to be the same, but couldn't connect.  So we decided to  factory-reset the box and set it up anew.

First step was logging into the OBi Dashboard and having it identify the OBi100, which it completed successfully.  Next step is to click on Settings, which calls up the OBi100 Device Configuration page, where SP1 and SP2 were both listed as "not configured."  (As expected.) Following that we clicked on the "Google Voice Set-Up" button and the EMS disclaimer that followed -- again as expected -- but which did nothing more than reload the Device Configuration page.

With one difference:  Now there was a dialogue box at the top of the page stating "Please Note:  This OBi device's annual support period has expired. To upgrade this device, a paid support plan is required. To purchase support, use the button found in the Support and Warranty tab.  When device's support status is Active, the software update can continue."

We've eliminated cookies and browser issues as possible causes.  What's preventing us from setting up the OBi100 the way it was before?  And how can we correct it?  Thanks to anyone who can help.

azrobert

I haven't seen an official announcement from OBiHai, but it appears they are charging an annual fee for software support above a certain firmware level. The fix for an OBi2xx is to downgrade the firmware. You are the 1st that I know with this problem for an OBi100.

Please post the current firmware level of your OBi100.
Log directly into the OBi using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi into a Web Browser.
Hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
You will get a System Status screen
The SoftwareVersion should be 1.3.0 with the build number in parentheses.
Please post the Build number.

BeeBee

That's remarkable in the sense that we never went looking for software support; we just want the device to resume working when we plug it back in.

In any event, the firmware version is 1.3.0, Build 2824.  (What would we have to downgrade it to?)

Much appreciated.

azrobert

Above build 2824 your OBi100 GV must be setup on OBiTalk because of a new GV authentication method.
An OBi100 with build 2824 uses the old method and I think must be setup locally.
You might be able to configure it using OBi Expert and not the GV wizard, I have not tried this.
I have an OBi110 at build 2824 that I configure locally.
I recommend configuring it locally.

Make the following changes locally:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol: Google Voice
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName: GV_ID@gmail.com
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> Password: GV_Password

After you make the changes on a page click SUBMIT at the bottom of the page.
After you make all the changes click REBOOT at the top of the page.

After the reboot look at the System Status page.
The status of SP1 should be CONNECTED.

BeeBee

Forgive my newbie-ness, but where can I download build 2824?

azrobert

You are already at 2824, so you don't have to do anything with firmware.

Edit:
When you try to configure GV on OBiTalk, they want to upgrade your OBi100 to the newest firmware. That is why the message for the fee.

BeeBee

D-oh!  Yes, of course, duh.  I guess since I'm being obtuse I should be absolutely clear on what you mean by "configure locally."  Does that mean doing it through the "192.168.etc.etc" web browser interface?

EDIT:  Ignore this last question.  I fumbled my way there.  Now to see if it works.

BeeBee

Nope.  Still getting getting the runaround and a status of "Backing Off (874s):Authentication error."  Is there anything I can try next?

aliron

I am having this issue as well. I changed my google voice password and I couldn't update it on obitalk.com. I tried deleting the settings so I could start over but no dice--I can't go to "google voice setup" as it just redirects me to the same page instead of actual settings.

azrobert

Sorry, I forgot something.
Make this change:
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBitalk Provisioning
Method: Disabled

While you're at it change the Method on Firmware Update and ITSP Provisioning to Disabled.

Now re-enter the info from my previous post.
When OBiTalk Provisioning is enabled, OBiTalk might overlay any changes you made locally.
In the future you must make all changes locally.
Don't forget to re-boot.

If you still get the Backing-Off, make sure your GV ID and password are correct.

BeeBee

Thanks, but still no go.  (And the authentication is correct.)  If nothing else, this is making me lose my intimidation over the OBi settings pages.  Is there a repository where I might legitimately download a later firmware (if any)?  I called a friend back home with an OBi 110 with Build 2872, and he can "configurate" just fine.  (And I assume the 110 firmware couldn't be used on the 100.)

Taoman

Quote from: BeeBee on June 06, 2015, 06:53:12 PM
Is there a repository where I might legitimately download a later firmware (if any)?  I called a friend back home with an OBi 110 with Build 2872, and he can "configurate" just fine.  (And I assume the 110 firmware couldn't be used on the 100.)

Yes, the "110 firmware" works for the 1xx series including the OBi100. You can download it from here:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2872.fw

After downloading the 2872 firmware, go to System Management>System Update in your OBi web interface. Under Firmware Update browse to the file and install the update. After your OBi reboots you should be able to configure Google Voice on the Obitalk web portal.
I manually updated my OBi110 to 2872 without issue but keep in mind there is always a small chance that when updating your firmware something could go wrong and "brick" your OBi.

BeeBee

Yes, I had ultimately decided to roll the dice and do precisely that, as spending another whole day to get phone service up and running wouldn't have been worth it.  And after a final hiccup or two, the OBi100 is working well again.  Just wanted to stop back in and thank everyone who posted for your help along the way.

zorlac

Thanks for the positive confirmation BeeBee.
I find it a bit insidious that obi hasn't made a formal announcement on the position of paid firmware updates.  :-\
I wonder when the older revs will get pulled from the site or just stop working with the web portal or various voice services.  >:(
The mention of paid ongoing FW upgrades past the first year should at least be in the fine print of the website or on the box.

aliron

Mine still isn't working--was there anything else you did BeeBee? Mine still says service not configured after I updated the firmware, undid the changes previously suggested, and went through the obitalk.com google voice setup. My obi100 used to work but then I changed my gmail password and now it won't work anymore

Edit: Nevermind, reset it to factory defaults and it works now

Lavamama

I am receiving the same message as BeeBee (..annual support period has ended...), and I'm afraid I'm having trouble figuring out how to solve the problem by following this thread.  I'd be grateful if someone could spell out the steps to the fix in one message to this technologically challenged person! 

All was working well until yesterday - but I did change my google password, so I'm wondering if that caused the trouble?

Lavamama

Never mind!  I figured it out.  I used the instructions here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0 to update the firmware.  All seems to be working now.  I hope!

nsb7

Quote from: Taoman on June 06, 2015, 07:25:30 PM
Quote from: BeeBee on June 06, 2015, 06:53:12 PM
Is there a repository where I might legitimately download a later firmware (if any)?  I called a friend back home with an OBi 110 with Build 2872, and he can "configurate" just fine.  (And I assume the 110 firmware couldn't be used on the 100.)

Yes, the "110 firmware" works for the 1xx series including the OBi100. You can download it from here:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2872.fw

After downloading the 2872 firmware, go to System Management>System Update in your OBi web interface. Under Firmware Update browse to the file and install the update. After your OBi reboots you should be able to configure Google Voice on the Obitalk web portal.
I manually updated my OBi110 to 2872 without issue but keep in mind there is always a small chance that when updating your firmware something could go wrong and "brick" your OBi.

This instructions worked for me. Thanks.

fuguansun@gmail.com

I had exact same issue.

I have two questions here:

for those settions under system management or voice management, I could not modify anything. Seems it just gray out.

another question is, how do I update the firmware? where is the tab?

Thanks in advance.

andq22

Agree with nsb7.
Thank you Taoman!!

fuguansun:
1: update the firmware from the local web interface.
2: once the firmware is updated you'll be able to use the google voice wizard from Obi web dashboard http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev

local web portal:
192.168.1.something,
admin
admin

System Management, Device Update, Select file to update firmware.

guide: http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/06/obihai-obi100-how-to-update-firmware.html