News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi 202 setup

Started by MattLS, June 10, 2015, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattLS

Roger on the blue tooth. But don't I need a app on my smart phone to use the blue tooth? Seems like there must be an interface. When I check the play store for apps I see an "Obion Android" app- is this needed to use?

drgeoff

Quote from: MattLS on August 29, 2015, 09:48:39 PM
Roger on the blue tooth. But don't I need a app on my smart phone to use the blue tooth? Seems like there must be an interface. When I check the play store for apps I see an "Obion Android" app- is this needed to use?
No,  the Obion app does not use Bluetooth in any way. The app gives your Android smartphone the ability to connect (over WiFi or cellular data) to other Obi devices on the Obitalk network. Obitalk service not the portal.

As you have already been told, initially by me then by azrobert and again by SteveInWA, OBiBT enables a short range BT connection between your Obi and a BT equipped cell phone. The cellular path into and out of your cellphone becomes another Service Provider. You can make and receive calls using phone handset(s) on the OBi that go out or come in on your cell service. OBiBT does NOT enable the cell phone to make or receive calls using the ITSPs configured on the OBi.

To the cell phone the BT'd OBi appears to be a BT headset or BT car speaker-mike. No app involved.

azrobert

If you're still confused, here is some more info:
All Android smartphones have BT support
It's found under Settings on the Android
If it's turned off, just tap ON
Now you need to Pair the OBi202 with the Android
On the OBi202 phone, dial *28
This will make the OBi202 discoverable
On the Android under Settings tap Bluetooth then tap Search For Devices
You should see the OBi
Tap the OBi to pair the 2 devices
Now the OBi should be listed under Paired Devices and say Connected

This procedure might vary slightly for different versions of Android

To make a BT call on the OBi202, dial **8 followed by the phone number

Edit
If you don't see any devices after you Search For Devices, you took too long between dialing *28 and searching
Dial *28 again

MattLS

I was able to pair and use the ObiBT on one cell phone only.
So I got a second ObiBT and a USB hub.
Then plugged in ObiBT-1 and paired to cell-1
Then unplugged ObiBT-1 and paired ObiBT-2 to cell-2

Still only works with 1 Bluetooth connection at a time. I have tried rebooting Obi202 after each pairing.

I have BT1 configured to ring in on phone2 and BT2 configured to ring in on phone1
Looking at the phone port config I see:
SP2 rings in on Phone 1 & BT
SP1 rings in on Phone 2 (shouldn't this say BT as well?)
Any ideas what I am doing wrong? was I mislead that I can use 2 BT connections? Do you know of any detailed instructions on using ObiBT and especially two ObiBT's?
Thanks again..

MattLS

somewhere on the forum it said I could use 2 ObiBT's. I looked for the thread to help me do this setup but cant find the thread now though. What is the purpose of BT2 if not to set up a second pairing? The use **81 or **82 to choose which paired line to call out with.

MattLS

I found the thread:
Topic: OBi202 supports two ObiBT dongles?
or search "USB hub"

SteveInWA

Humph, you proved me wrong then!  I deleted my clearly incorrect post.

I haven't tried to use two OBiBT dongles at once.  IMO, the BT headphone protocol's audio quality is so crappy that I would rather use VoIP.

The official documentation on setting up and using OBiBT starts on page 133 of the Admin guide:

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

MattLS

Thanks its all in the manual...
The problem was that you need to use *28 to make BT discoverable AND set it as BT1, but you must use *29 to make BT discoverable and set as BT2

I am seeing that the range doesn't seem to be very good for the BT. But since I have it I want to set it up and see if its useful to me

SteveInWA

Thanks for letting us know!  Good luck.