News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

$10 random to keep using MY device? Really?

Started by Jon9999, June 12, 2015, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon9999

I need to change my Google Voice password in my OBi's configuration. The OBi Talk portal won't let me do it.

According to OBi Sales, their "new policy" is that OBi owners must now pay a "support fee" of $10/year in order to have access to the configuration page.

WHAT? I bought a device. I did not rent it. There was no mention of a $10 annual fee when I bought the device. But now the company is telling me that I cannot configure my device or change Service Provider settings if I don't start paying them an annual fee?

Somebody please tell me that the information I was given isn't right.

If it's correct, then it's just wrong. You can't sell someone something and then decide a couple of years later that they can't use it anymore unless they pay you again.

SteveInWA

This has already been covered in two other threads.

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10039.0

Summary:

• Obihai hasn't clearly explained the change yet.
  • Some users are having problems caused by unrelated issues (e.g. their OBi device has very old pre-OAUTH firmware, or some user error.)
  • One way to deal with it, if the device has the very latest firmware, is to downgrade the firmware, but this hasn't been proven necessary.
  • The $10 fee is for continuing to use the OBiTALK portal to automate the downloading and application of firmware updates, and to obtain 1:1 technical support from Obihai, not to merely configure Google Voice -- if you manually download the latest firmware, and apply it via the local web page interface, you can then (re)configure GV via the portal, for free.

I have tested successfully adding an out-of-warranty OBi 110 and a OBi 200 to the portal and configuring GV, with both devices already having the latest firmware.

Firmware downloads are here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Jon9999

Thank you, Steve. Very helpful indeed. I can probably follow the instructions you gave to do the manual firmware update, but I've read here about several people "bricking" their devices during a firmware update so I'm hesitant. All I really need to do is change my GV credentials. My OBi device works fine, so I don't think I really need to mess with the firmware.

<rant>
I'm appalled at Obihai for doing this -- and for doing it secretively. It's one thing to sell an extended support plan, but it's another thing entirely to turn off functionality and another thing yet to cripple functionality and then sell access back. Portal functionality is fundamental to the device, and telling people a year later that "Oh yeah, that thing you thought you were buying from us was really a rental" is just plain wrong.

This makes me think of those evil people who hijack people's computers with malware and then make them pay a fee to get an unlocking key. (Okay, maybe this isn't quite as bad as that, but this is still pretty nasty.)
</rant>

SteveInWA

I don't want to get into a debate, taking one side or the other, about a $10/year charge.  I will just point out, though, that you can still use your device as before, without paying the fee.  Nobody has been prevented from doing so at this point.

For best results and lowest risk when updating firmware,

• Plug the OBi into a UPS to avoid power line disturbances.
  • Don't try this over the weekend, as, for some mysterious reason, the OBiTALK portal often goes down on weekends.
  • Log onto the OBiTALK portal, and if your device is listed, delete it off of the portal.  Wait a few minutes for this to happen, and watch your device's LEDs, until the power LED stops blinking, indicating that it's been removed and remotely reset.
  • For good measure, you can use a paper clip or other implement to depress and hold, for 10 seconds, the reset switch located inside the device, accessible from the underside.
  • Download the latest firmware from Obihai to your computer:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0
  • Log into your device via it's local web page (192.168.whatever you're using), and go to System Management --> Device Update.  Specify the location of your downloaded firmware file, to upload it to your OBi.  The local device username and password after a factory reset are "admin".  If you need to learn the IP address assigned to your OBi, then dial ***1 on the attached phone and the auto-attendant voice will read it to you.
  • After the firmware update has successfully completed, add the device back to the OBiTALK portal to configure Google Voice.

TW2015

Steve: Thanks for the instruction. I am able to upgrade my obi202 and works fine  after the upgrade. (Configure the Google Voice, and 2 other VOIP providers)

For those that has problem:
You need to enable the Web Server on the device
http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

Once enabled, You will be able to upgrade the firmware following Steve's advice.

Once done, please disable the Web server again for security reason :).

malitiahai

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 12, 2015, 07:22:20 PM
I don't want to get into a debate, taking one side or the other, about a $10/year charge.  I will just point out, though, that you can still use your device as before, without paying the fee.  Nobody has been prevented from doing so at this point.

I cannot still use my device.  It is blinking red (not red and green, just red) and support says I need to pay for them to help me.  I cannot ping the device and factory reset does not help.

SteveInWA

Quote from: malitiahai on June 20, 2015, 09:01:39 AM

I cannot still use my device.  It is blinking red (not red and green, just red) and support says I need to pay for them to help me.  I cannot ping the device and factory reset does not help.

Your device is either damaged, or its power supply has gone bad.  If you have another 12VDC power adapter from some other device (e.g. a router or switch, or other home electronics product), which has the same size power plug as your OBi, you can try that.  Otherwise, if it's out of warranty, then you'll need to pay for support, or just buy a new one.

Rookie

First of all, Thanks to Steve for the instructions. Worked beautifully even if I didn't follow all the steps in the specified sequence.

Secondly, I didn't have to open up the web server on my device (Not sure if it is already open :( and that's why it worked).

Here's what I did with a device that was already configured and working a few years ago and I mothballed when it stopped working because of the May 30 change by Google.

1. Updated to latest firmware through the local web portal - avoided the $10 notice.
2. Deleted the device from Obi portal. Reset with pin, plugged off power for good measure.
3. Added device. Worked great for SP1 with Google voice.
4. Waiting to see SP2 connect to my second line but I am already a happy camper now that i got this working.

Quote from: TW2015 on June 17, 2015, 10:13:22 PM
Steve: Thanks for the instruction. I am able to upgrade my obi202 and works fine  after the upgrade. (Configure the Google Voice, and 2 other VOIP providers)

For those that has problem:
You need to enable the Web Server on the device
http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

Once enabled, You will be able to upgrade the firmware following Steve's advice.

Once done, please disable the Web server again for security reason :).

lrosenman

As an addendum, I was offered the Firmware update via the portal via an out-of-warranty 202.  So I'm not sure it's required to pay the fee for that part of the "support".

Amex1007

These jerks has updated the firmware again to 2886

I ended up paying $10 to save my own time  ??? ??? ??? ???

Bigt5

I don't want to get into a debate, taking one side or the other, about a $10/year charge.  I will just point out, though, that you can still use your device as before, without paying the fee.  Nobody has been prevented from doing so at this point.

For best results and lowest risk when updating firmware,

• Plug the OBi into a UPS to avoid power line disturbances.
  • Don't try this over the weekend, as, for some mysterious reason, the OBiTALK portal often goes down on weekends.
  • Log onto the OBiTALK portal, and if your device is listed, delete it off of the portal.  Wait a few minutes for this to happen, and watch your device's LEDs, until the power LED stops blinking, indicating that it's been removed and remotely reset.
  • For good measure, you can use a paper clip or other implement to depress and hold, for 10 seconds, the reset switch located inside the device, accessible from the underside.
  • Download the latest firmware from Obihai to your computer:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0
  • Log into your device via it's local web page (192.168.whatever you're using), and go to System Management --> Device Update.  Specify the location of your downloaded firmware file, to upload it to your OBi.  The local device username and password after a factory reset are "admin".  If you need to learn the IP address assigned to your OBi, then dial ***1 on the attached phone and the auto-attendant voice will read it to you.
  • After the firmware update has successfully completed, add the device back to the OBiTALK portal to configure Google Voice.

Thanks for your excellent help. I still get the message below after following these directions and updating my Obi 110 v3.4 to the latest FW "OBi-latest.fw" which shows as Software version 1.3.0 (Build: 2872)

Please Note:
This OBi device's annual support entitlement has expired. An important software update with enhanced security and ease of use features is required to maintain Google Voice service on this OBi device. To automatically upgrade this device using the OBiTALK portal as well as get access to Obihai’s Premium Support help desk, a paid support plan is required. To purchase 1-year of Obihai Premium Support, use the button found in the Support and Warranty tab. When device's support status is Active, the software update can continue by selecting the update triangle adjacent to the device, in the OBiTALK dashboard.

I have tried rebooting and powering it off as well as disabling many of the auto-provisioning that were suggested in another forum. I am very frustrated since my home phone is no longer working. How can I configure Google Voice with this latest firmware? Thanks in advance.

Brisk

Quote from: Amex1007 on May 18, 2016, 07:54:08 PM
These jerks has updated the firmware again to 2886

I ended up paying $10 to save my own time  ??? ??? ??? ???

You can dial ***6, 1 instead.

Or download the file manually and update your ATA without using the portal.

Mango

Quote from: Bigt5 on May 19, 2016, 12:11:56 AMI still get the message below after following these directions and updating my Obi 110 v3.4 to the latest FW "OBi-latest.fw" which shows as Software version 1.3.0 (Build: 2872)

The instructions you followed were old.  Please try the following:

Dial ***6, 1

If that does not work, download the new version of the firmware: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Let us know which one of these worked.

thedog

I had the same problem..paid the $10, downloaded the latest f/w and still no luck.

f/w upgrade says successful but I get the red/green flashing lights. The admin page takes me straight to the f/w upgrade page..tried 2772 and 2886..factory resets but no luck.

I guess I'll have to buy a new device.

I'm so upset by these guys that I have half a mind to ditch obihai entirely and look for an alternative even if it costs more.

zorlac

Quote from: thedog on May 21, 2016, 09:49:36 AM
I had the same problem..paid the $10, downloaded the latest f/w and still no luck.

f/w upgrade says successful but I get the red/green flashing lights. The admin page takes me straight to the f/w upgrade page..tried 2772 and 2886..factory resets but no luck.

I guess I'll have to buy a new device.

I'm so upset by these guys that I have half a mind to ditch obihai entirely and look for an alternative even if it costs more.
Could your power adapter possibly be faulty?

thedog

I tried a couple of different power packs...no difference.

thedog

Just after my last post I tried the following and it started working -

Unplugged power for a few minutes..updated with 2772 then 2886 and bingo it started working..go figure.

I'm going to get a spare unit just in case.

thedog

obi refunded my $10. The ob100 continues to give problems. Every time I power cycle it, it goes into red/green blink mode and I have to do a f/w upgrade. It continues to work till I power cycle it again.

So anyway I got a new obi200 from Amazon and that seems to be ok.

SteveInWA

Quote from: thedog on May 23, 2016, 03:33:27 PM
obi refunded my $10. The ob100 continues to give problems. Every time I power cycle it, it goes into red/green blink mode and I have to do a f/w upgrade. It continues to work till I power cycle it again.

So anyway I got a new obi200 from Amazon and that seems to be ok.

Some older OBi 100s end up with this fate.  It's possible that their flash memory simply fails.  Getting a 200 was a good move.  Enjoy.