News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiHAI Warranty Period - When does it start? When does it end?

Started by restamp, June 16, 2015, 05:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restamp

Now that (apparently) OBiHAI is going to start requiring a fee for accessing their products from their website to devices which are out of warranty, it begs the question:  When does OBiHAI consider the warranty to begin?

I have a 202 which I bought as a backup during the sale last month at Newegg.  It's never been out of the box.  If I don't use it until I need it, does the warranty start when the device is first registered?  It would typically begin on the purchase date, but without supporting paperwork, does OBiHAI have that information?  Well, maybe, but does anyone know for sure?

Also, when does the warranty end?  The last day of the month?  The OBiTalk site only gives the month and year.

Inquiring minds...

OzarkEdge

Technically, a warranty period begins on the purchase date noted on the sales receipt.  Practically, I don't see how OBiTALK.com would know this information, so maybe it defaults to the device add date.  As I see it, this ambiguity is part and parcel to the current flawed implementation whereby nobody understands when or why their device might be required to pay up to continue using OBiTALK.com... the 'feature' feels unfinished and unexplainable (not worth announcing).  This does not instill confidence in using the service.

OE

arobatino

Quote from: OzarkEdge on June 16, 2015, 07:44:52 PM
Technically, a warranty period begins on the purchase date noted on the sales receipt.  Practically, I don't see how OBiTALK.com would know this information, so maybe it defaults to the device add date.
Is it known if removing a device which is currently labeled out-of-warranty and then re-adding it makes the portal think it's in warranty again? (Of course, they could store the OBi Number even after it's been removed, so it's probably not that easy.)

OzarkEdge

Quote from: arobatino on June 16, 2015, 11:23:00 PM
Is it known if removing a device which is currently labeled out-of-warranty and then re-adding it makes the portal think it's in warranty again? (Of course, they could store the OBi Number even after it's been removed, so it's probably not that easy.)

It could be that as soon as an OBi is connected to the Internet, it phones home to clock its identity... serial no., MAC address, etc.  Commence warranty period.

It could be that OBiTALK.com triggers out-of-warranty consideration only if the device firmware is not current, to impart more significance and urgency to their demand for your money... to make it seem less like 'pay us another $10-20 today just because'.  At least they can then follow-up your payment with a firmware upgrade action instead of doing nothing in return.

Obihai says, "you will need to purchase a Support contract to enable firmware upgrades".

They are not selling an extended hardware warranty.  Your device will remain out-of-warranty.  If it dies, you must still buy a new one.

I think they are selling annual access to OBiTALK.com, disguised as a nebulous Support contract that most users will not exercise beyond the first year of owning their OBi.  It's more palatable to call it Extended Support than to simply put a lock on the OBiTALK.com door and tell everyone who has been using it that they must now pay an annual subscription to continue managing their OBi.

Sorry to say, you can not trust the cloud.  The hardware warranty ends after it initially expires.  Annual subscription to OBiTALK.com ends after you stop paying for it.

OE

ceg3

This is the response I got when I inquired about the fee.  I suspect this will not be popular, but not likely a high enough fee to cause a lot users to move on.

Yes, There is a Support Contract that will allow users with devices that are out of the 1 year Manufactures warranty to receive support and access to future firmware upgrades.

Best regards

Obihai Technology

WelshPaul

Firmware updates will still be made available from the forum. A manual update will be required if your device is outside of its warranty period.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

OzarkEdge

Quote from: ceg3 on June 17, 2015, 02:38:37 PM

Yes, There is a Support Contract that will allow users with devices that are out of the 1 year Manufactures warranty to receive support and access to future firmware upgrades.

Best regards

Obihai Technology

Quote from: WelshPaul on June 17, 2015, 03:05:40 PM
Firmware updates will still be made available from the forum. A manual update will be required if your device is outside of its warranty period.

Well, that clears things up, not.  Part A says you must pay for access to future firmware upgrades.  Part B says you must apply freely available manual updates.  This really is ridiculous... it gives new meaning to the term OBiTALK.

Show me current firmware releases published for manual download...

OE

ceg3

Quote from: WelshPaul on June 17, 2015, 03:05:40 PM

Good to know there is a work around.  Hopefully, an out of warranty OBi will get the update symbol, but if you monitor the forum you will find out soon enough, anyway.

SteveInWA

Unless you work for Obihai, making any sort of statement about warranty start or end dates is meaningless.

Regarding the new extended support fee, here are some facts:

• The optional fee would cover 1:1 customer support from Obihai for another year, along with firmware updates downloaded and applied via clicking the yellow triangle on the portal site.
  • Obihai is not locking anyone out from configuring Google Voice via the portal.
  • Counter to the FUD above, regardless of warranty status, the latest firmware is available for anyone to download and install manually, at no charge, at this post:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0
  • Devices which have been manually-updated to the current firmware level can be added to the portal and configured as usual, regardless of warranty status.
  • The new extended support fee is no different than most manufacturers' policies regarding providing customers with 1:1 support post-warranty, and, as long as you don't need that kind of help, there is no "ransom" or mandatory charge to continue using OBi devices.
  • See this discussion for instructions:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10065.0

Note:  if your OBi is currently within its original one-year hardware warranty period, the portal will offer you an optional one-year extended hardware warranty, plus extended customer support (for $20 or $30 US, depending on the device).  If your OBi is currently past its original one-year hardware warranty, the portal will offer you optional extended 1:1 direct customer support for $10 instead.  The former option would include service for failed hardware (e.g. device replacement), whereas the latter would include just technical support and firmware updating via the portal.  The key word here is "optional".

OzarkEdge

Quote from: OzarkEdge on June 17, 2015, 04:05:58 PM

OE

Obihai has published some current firmware releases for manual download today here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0.  Update your OBi firmware manually before using OBiTALK.com if you want to avoid the annual out-of-warranty fee for Extended Support required before being permitted to continue using OBiTALK.com to configure your device.

For the OBi100/110:
The published firmware was 2824 May 2014 (old GV).  While OBiTALK.com firmware was the most recent 2872 Sept 2014 (new GV and Extended Support fee).

Now the published firmware is 2853 Aug 2014 (new GV).  And the OBiTALK.com firmware is the same 2853 Aug 2014 (new GV).  They are now publishing the new GV Build 2853 and have returned OBiTALK.com to this same build.  Build 2872 of the Extended Support fee appears to be retracted.

For the OBi200/202/300/302:
The published firmware was 4581 Feb 2015 (new GV).  While OBiTALK.com firmware was the most recent 4738 May 2015 (new GV and Extended Support fee).

Now the published firmware is 4738 May 2015 (new GV and Extended Support fee).  And the OBiTALK.com firmware presumably remains the same most recent 4738 May 2015 (new GV and Extended Support fee).

The significant observation is that the current OBiTALK.com firmware is now published for manual download to avoid the Extended Support fee.  The before and after published firmware pages are attached for your fact checking pleasure (open the link to view the full page).

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: OzarkEdge on June 17, 2015, 08:12:31 PM
Quote from: OzarkEdge on June 17, 2015, 04:05:58 PM

OE

Obihai has published current firmware releases for manual download today here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0.  Update your OBi firmware manually before using OBiTALK.com if you want to avoid the annual out-of-warranty fee for Extended Support required before being permitted to continue using OBiTALK.com to configure your device.

OE

This is just more unhelpful misinformation.  The current firmware link here on the forum is, and has been, for some time in fact, the current version of the firmware.  I tested this fact before posting, by updating a OBi 200 from 4420 to 4738.  I've already provided links to that firmware, along with instructions on how it can be applied, for free, to bring devices up-to-date.