News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI to OBI without service provider

Started by ThermCin, June 09, 2011, 08:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThermCin

Hello,

Today, I have OBI100 and I am using it with Google Voice on Service provider 1. I want to buy one more for my brother who lives overseas and I plan to use GV on this one as well as long as GV is free. I like to findout whether I can call OBI to OBI without needing a service provider. In other words, can OBI to OBI free calls only be made if we have a service provider either on SP1 or SP2?  ???

If OBI to OBI free calls can be made without the need for a Service provider, could someone please provide some instructions on how it can be done?

Thanks a lot! and this is a great form by the way!!

ThermCin.

QBZappy

ThermCin,

Welcome.

You can always dial the 9 digit OBi number to call the other OBi. As long as the OBihai company is around providing that network I believe it will always be free. I  think it is easy to overlook the OBiTALK network as being a service provider. This is the simplest way to call another OBi I think. It requires no set up at all.

If you want a direct OBi to OBi connection not requiring any 3rd party service this is the way to do it. It has the disadvantage of being a little more complicated. Have a look here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=913.15
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: ThermCin on June 09, 2011, 08:03:18 PM
If OBI to OBI free calls can be made without the need for a Service provider, could someone please provide some instructions on how it can be done?

OBi's can call each other right out of the box with no configuration required.  Each OBi is manufactured with a unique 9-digit OBi number that can be called from any other OBi by simply dialing **9 + OBi number.

As QBZappy pointed out, the necessary server is provided by Obihai and the OBi knows about it without any configuration.  The other topic that QBZappy referenced is not relevant to OBi-to-OBi calls (it was concerned with a different kind of 'Direct connectivity').

ThermCin

QBZappy and Ron R,

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the quick reply...I now have much better understanding of how OBI works. I will get back to you if I face any difficulties.

Thanks once again!
ThermCin.