News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help with setting an OBI in the U.A.E

Started by mgalego, June 17, 2015, 11:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgalego

I am very sorry !

In order to have access to this forum I have to have my vpn on, otherwise is blocked by the ISP.
When you asked if I could ping the IP address I had it on.
With no vpn I cannot ping that IP address.

Sorry for misleading you !!!

mgalego

I guess the scenario has changed now, right.

Nevertheless to answer your questions:

1. How are you configuring the Voice Services? Portal basic,  portal expert or directly on the device?

- I am using Portal basic and directly on the device.

2. Do you have valid accounts with the Voice SPs you are configuring?

- Yes

3. Usually the 'password' that you need to enter for SP registration is not the same as the password you use to log into your account on the provider's web site.

- In this case, these betamax products (Freevoipdeal and Powervoip), the passwords are the same.

drgeoff

Looks to me that your access to those ITSPs is being blocked. You'll need to run your Obi through the VPN.  An Obi cannot do that itself so you'll need something external to the Obi.

That's outside my own hands-on experience. I believe some alternative firmwares such as dd-wrt can provide a VPN client on some "ordinary" routers. Maybe some high end routers like Drayteks have VPN client built in. Do you need a modem/router or can you use separate devices?

mgalego

Yes, it looks like.

I just bought, arriving by the end of the month a new router, an Asus RT-AC66U. It is one of the Open VPN routers that Expressvpn supports. It can upload their vpn settings. Hopefully by then everything works out.

I might have to come back to this forum but may be in different circumstances.

In the mean time I wish to thank you for your time and patience. I really appreciated !!! 

Thanks and see you soon !

drgeoff

I have a feeling you are in for disappointment.  Your new Asus router certainly can be a VPN server but I don't see any mention of client.  It means that you can have VPN access from outside into your LAN but it doesn't give you outgoing access to a VPN server elsewhere.

Currently when you use the VPN with your PC, you have a software VPN client running on the PC.

And is your ISP providing you with an ADSL feed or ethernet?  If the former you'll need to retain the D-Link for its ADSL modem functionality and you may find that connecting the Asus to it is not a straightforward exercise.