News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice consistently drops calls at 14 minutes

Started by Spidey, June 17, 2015, 03:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spidey

When making outbound calls from an Obi202 we are seeing call dropped at 14 minutes. So we can talk for 14 minutes and then nothing. Usually the call doesn't hang-up it simply doesn't route voice any more so neither side can hear the other. This has been happening for several years now. We've switched Internet providers recently and the issue still exists so it isn't a problem with the Internet.

Anyone else have this issue?

SteveInWA

In order to troubleshoot this, you'd need to start by trying to isolate the issue to either a Google XMPP (Chat) issue, or an OBi issue, or an issue with your home network.  As is, it's impossible to determine the root cause.

You can start by removing your OBi from the environment.  Unplug it from power.  Use the Firefox web browser on a PC or Mac, and download and install the Google voice & video plugin (AKA the Hangouts plugin).  You'll need to tell Firefox to allow, or activate, the two plugin components, since Firefox blocks them by default.

Log into Gmail (not GV), making sure you are using the same Google account as you are using with your OBi.  Click your chat avatar on the left side of the Gmail web page, to reveal the settings box.  Look at the bottom of the box.  If it says "revert to old chat", click that.  If it says "try the new Hangouts", don't click it.

Now, make some calls via Gmail, and find out if the calls drop at 14 minutes.  If so, post your issue over on the Google Voice help forum.  If not, then you've got an OBi issue.

Spidey

I was able to isolate the issue to the Obi-202. After replacing the Obi with a Grandstream SIP terminal adapter and using Sim Telephonics Google Voice Gateway at https://simonics.com/gw/ I don't have any more dropped calls. So something about the Obi-202 sitting behind my NAT router didn't work well and would drop calls and audio routinely.

madhatter

I had the same problem recently on my OBI 110.  I don't know if it was a coincidence, but I had made some changes to my router the night before.  I unplugged the OBI for a couple minutes and powered it back up and all was good again.  I've noticed that I sometimes have a similar problem with my Amazon Fire TV unit after reconfiguring the router.  Power cycle resolves the problem.