News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dial Plan Questions..unbelievable answers

Started by burrism, June 20, 2015, 06:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burrism

Hi, All....

I have been with VOIPo for maybe 8 years and have no problems with my PAP2 that I config myself. For some unknown reason, I wanted a backup and chose the OBI202...far too much of an overkill for my needs. Pur June 1 2015
I don't want the router or Google Voice or OBitalk...only a straight away ATA that will work. I chose the pre-configed listed auto program and it does work fine...except that when I redial a number that has had digits added, the call won't connect. I use 10 digit dialing and the only extra digit that connects is a 1 before...nothing after.
I wrote  support to ask how to get what works with my PAP2 with my provider and the answer was.."can't be done on the OBi." I then asked for instructions how to replace the dial plan with my own and the answer was "We don't know how to do this and recommend asking on the OBi forum-maybe someone there will help...Huh!!

I thought OBi was a company that provided support, or so the website says. In all my years in telephony, computers and electronics, I couldn't believe what they told me.

My solution is to sell or donate this product and go on ebay to find another PAP2. Anyone wants this, make me an offer. Not a month old..

azrobert

I understand your frustration. They even started charging an annual fee for support on units out of warranty.

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Is the following correct?
You dial a 10 digit number.
After you're connected you dial additional digits.
After you hang up you want to redial the 10 digit number.

QuoteI use 10 digit dialing and the only extra digit that connects is a 1 before...nothing after.
I don't know what the above means.
Do you want a "1" prefix added to the 10 digit number?
Adding a one prefix to a 10 digit number is the default.

Anyway, here is the default ITSP A DigitMap:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)
<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx will add a one prefix to a 10 digit number, which I assume you want.

Change it to:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|011xx.)

The above assumes your Primary Line is SP1.

When you do a redial all numbers dialed, including digits after you're connected will be sent to the DigitMap. The DigitMap will analyze each individual digit as they are received. The S0 suffix added to the rule will process a 10 digit number immediately and not wait for additional digits. Hopefully, this will solve your problem.

If you are using OBiTalk to configure your OBi, use OBi Expert to make the above change.

If you want to use the local interface to configure your OBi you must disable OBiTalk auto provisioning, otherwise OBiTalk will overlay any changes you make.

System Management -> Auto Provisioning
Under OBiTalk Provisioning
Method: Disabled

burrism

Thanks for your reply..

As you know, when calling most any company in the world these days, besides hearing that my call is very important to them, it requires dialing a number of extra digits to be directed to the right department. If the call doesn't go through or they are busy, you  hang up and try to dial again. I was always able to simply use the redial function that contained one or more additional digits and the call connected. On my other ATAs no problem....with the OBi, nothing. My problem is not dialing extra digits after connected but rather dialing any extra digits before connection, the call won't connect.

How can I tell which DigitMap is used for my auto-provisioned choice of provider? I use ports 1 & 2 on my VOIP account and although both lines can call and receive, the dashnoard shows sp2 as not registered.
If I disable the auto provisioning, where do I then replace the existing dial plan with mine and do I do this for both ports. If I disable the OBiTalk provisioning, can I just insert my own dial plan or do I have to go through all provisioning manually?
I suppose because this device serves so many purposes it has to be so complex.

thanks again..

azrobert

The OBi is a totally different animal than any other ATA I've owned. If you want to use the dialplan from the PAP2, it might not work on the OBi202 and I'm not talking about the syntax of the commands. I'll get to how the OBi dialplan works later, but 1st you need to decide how you will configure the unit. I prefer to use the local interface. There are too many illogical things about OBiTalk, one being what you said about SP2 showing unregistered. The only advantage I see with OBiTalk is it allows remote access. You can switch between methods. Going from OBiTalk to Local, just disable provisioning. Switching from local to OBiTalk you must transfer the configuration to OBiTalk before you enable provisioning. If you decide to use OBiTalk I'll post a little guide on how to use OBi Expert.

People use terms port or line to interchangeably refer to a phone port or SP trunk which totally confuses me. Please refer to them as Phone Port or SP trunk.

The Primary Line for a Phone Port will determine which ITSP DigitMap will be used. I believe when you use a wizard to setup a trunk, it has a check box for Primary Line. You have 2 Phone Ports and each can have a different Primary Line.

Routing an outbound call is a 2 step process.
The Phone Port DigitMap validates the dialed number.
Rule (Mpli) will include the rules in primary line's DigitMap.
If the dialed number doesn't match a rule, you will receive a fast busy.

If the dialed number matches a rule in the DigitMap the phone port outbound call route will route the call to the primary line using rule {(Mpli):pli}

When the Phone Port DigitMap processes a dialed number, rule "<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx" will prefix a 10 digit number with a "1".
The outbound call route will see a dialed 10 digit number as 11 digits.
You can get in trouble using the Phone Port DigitMap (which includes the Primary Line's DigitMap) to modify the dialed number.
This is one reason why a dialplan from another ATA might not work.

If you want to route a call to a trunk other than the primary line you must prefix the number with **n (n = SP trunk number).
If the dialed number is unique (like an international number), you can modify the rules eliminating the need for a prefix.

Edit:
The Phone Port Primary line is found here:
Physical Interfaces -> Phone1/2 Port -> Primary Line

Edit2:
The DigitMap will use the best match rule.
If you have rules "<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx" and "602xxxxxxx" and dial 6021234567 the 2nd rule will be used and the number won't be prefixed even if the other rule is 1st in the DigitMap.
I know the Grandstream ATA doesn't work this way.

burrism

My friend....I thank you.

Besides the invaluable info you presented to me, you also convinced me to look at my actuarial table and recognize that I probably won't still be alive by the time I figure out this monster.
As soon as this reply is done, my order goes in for another PAP2-unlocked...and away we go.

In fact, if you or anyone else has an unlocked ATA designed for ordinary mortals, I will be happy to trade. Let me know.

thanks

azrobert

Can I talk you out of your plan? I suspect the vast majority of OBi owners don't understand the fine details of how it works and they don't have to. Most people have very simple requirements and the defaults meet most of those and only require small changes. If you post your requirements, I will help you configure your OBi202 and explain why. How's that for an offer?

burrism

A very gracious offer...

It's evident that besides knowing the product, you have some sort of emotional or operational attachment.
I've never been able to get that attached to things.

I'm 83 years old...come from the world of electronics and telephony and still build my own PCs More important, I read 2 books a week in addition to a full schedule. That's why I hesitate to go swimming in the OBi. However, if you are able to walk me through an easy fix for the digit dialing problem, it would be difficult for me to refuse your kind offer.

I simply want to be able to connect to a 10 digit number..add whatever digits are necessary to work through the auto attendants and when I disconnect, be able to punch my last number redial key and get connected to the original 10 digits..all the while remaining registered on sp1 and sp2 ports and connected to VOIPo.

Good luck to us and thanks again..

drgeoff

The addition of 'S0' as advised by azrobert will do what you want.

I had used PAP2, SPA3000 and D-Link VTA before encountering my first OBi. Yes, it is different but not really more difficult than the Sipura/Linksys/Cisco units. Do you know that some of the same engineers subsequently designed the OBis?

burrism

When I go to the expert settings and find the correct digitMap, I see the dial stream and see where the SO needs to be added. Even when I uncheck the OBiTalk settings box and submit, it still will not allow me to add any digits in the field.

If I do get this to change, do I need to do the same on SP2 in order to dial out the same way?

azrobert

QuoteIt's evident that besides knowing the product, you have some sort of emotional or operational attachment.
Attachment? Maybe. I just think these are fantastic little boxes. They can do so much more than a standard ATA and they are in the same price range.  They can act almost like a PBX when configured correctly. It's too bad the company is going down the drain concerning the support issue.

Reading thru your posts again, I'm going to make a few assumptions
I think you just defined one trunk, VOIPo on SP1.
You only went thru the trunk setup process once. Correct?
I think you are confusing Phone1 and Phone2 ports for SP1 and SP2.
That is why SP2 is showing unregistered.
If the above is true then the Primary Line for both phone ports is SP1 and you only have to change the ITSP A DigitMap.
In OBi Expert both boxes to the right of the value must be unchecked before you can modify it.

burrism

I unchecked both boxes and submitted. Then it allowed me to add SO and submit again..but now it doesn't dial out at all..Do I need to recheck either box after and resubmit. A fine red line appears after I add the SO. I think showing error.

Success....my advice to you is don't get old too fast..
Not having fiddled with dial plans for many years, I made the old stupid mistake of O instead of 0.
Now it works with all the extra digits added...and it dials out before the extra digits are even read.

Perhaps you should be the official paid customer support for OBi.
I don't know how to thank you enough. Perhaps send me a private message and I will send you a bottle of wine.

azrobert

The red line just means the value has been changed from the default.
It should be S zero not S alpha oh.
Copy and paste the following:
Then Submit

InetUser

Quote from: azrobert on June 21, 2015, 05:02:20 PM
The S0 is totally unnecessary and accomplishes nothing in this DigitMap.

burrism

Quote from: InetUser on June 21, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

It was precisely what solved my problem and I do thank  azrobert for his patience in convincing me.

InetUser

Remove just the 'S0' and you'll find there's no difference.

Taoman

Quote from: InetUser on June 21, 2015, 06:29:39 PM

Strongly suggest you read the thread to find out the problem "S0" is fixing before posting again.

azrobert

InetUser is correct that the S0 is redundant. Any dialed number starting with 2 thru 9 will not match any other rule, so the rule will default to S0. I realized this after I posted, but didn't feel like changing my explanation.

Removing "xx." and "[^*#]@@." fixed the problem.

Taoman

Taoman

Quote from: InetUser on June 21, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

Whoa! Read some of your past posts and can see you are no "newbie." One might almost wonder if you were a well known and respected member of this forum in a past life.

burrism

Quote from: InetUser on June 21, 2015, 06:29:39 PM

Although the addition of the S0 to my dial plan instantly solved the problem I was experiencing, please tell me what could have been easier.

thanks