News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obihai 100 with splitter?

Started by bobby, June 10, 2011, 11:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby

can you use a splitter with the phone line coming out of the obihai?

I just want to have one GV nubmer set up, but would like to run it to a speaker phone unit i have on my desk, when i'm at my computer, and then one to a regular phone over by my couch.  Seems simple enough, but will this cause complications with the obihai?

RonR

You should have no problem using multiple telephone devices connected to the OBi's PHONE Port.

jclark5093

Will the Obi give enough voltage through a splitter to ring old style phones that use mechanical ringers and don't plug into the wall? (POTS is HIGH voltage when inbound call rings...)

(almost related: any idea if it is possible to use rotary phones with a digital line? Can an Obi read those "click" dials? or only tone?)

RonR

A 'splitter' is simply two jacks wired directly in parallel, just like all the jacks throughout your home.

The OBi specification claims a Maximum Ring Load of 3 REN (Ringer Equivalence Number).  Each telephone device has an REN number.  The OBi should handle any number of telephone devices provided the sum of all their REN numbers doesn't exceed 3.  In reality, you can probably get by even if you exceed the maximum load a little.

The OBi does not support pulse dialing as was used with old rotary phones.  There are devices available which can be connected between the rotary phone and the OBi to convert the pulse dialing to DTMF.