News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Updating an Obi100 on 1.3.0 (Build: 2711)

Started by limey, July 04, 2015, 10:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

I have an obi100 running 1.3.0 (Build: 2711), which I know is old & incompatible with GV's new authentication method - however, since I've not needed to dial out using the GV number very much in the last couple of years, I left the config alone on the principle of if it ain't sufficiently broke, then don't mess with it (I have a fairly extensive manual config that I really don't want to recraft).

Interestingly, it appears that Google must have kept some servers running with the old authentication, as I found that if the Obi100 was left alone after rebooting, the GV service would cycle through various IP addresses, until eventually finding one that worked.

However, knowing that this route was certain to die sooner or later (and may possibly have already died, since it's been a couple of days since I've noticed the GV connection showing as connected), I've been resigning myself to biting the bullet & upgrading. Then I noticed the messages on the forum concerning the new $10 support policy change & I'm thinking that it's probably time to get on with it now (while I can)!

Anyway (tldr), just to confirm:

• If I manually upgrade the firmware to 2872 as detailed here -> http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10028.msg66308#msg66308, am I correct in thinking that I can then delete the GV config on SP1, then configure GV from the ObiTalk portal - without losing the rest of my config on the Obi100?
  • I currently have auto-provisioning disabled (since I configured manually) - would I need to change this, for the ObiTalk portal to do the GV authentication update?
  • Is it worthwhile/neccesary to back up the existing config first? Can this even be restored after the GV update, without squishing it?

TIA, Limey.

azrobert

See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8685.0

Start with step 5

OR

Upgrade your firmware, but stay with the old method of configuring GV.
You won't have to make any configuration changes.
Build 2824 is the last or close to last FW using old method.
If you go with 2872, you won't be able to downgrade.
If you don't like 2824, you can upgrade to 2872.
Download 2824 here:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw

limey

Thanks azrobert, for both your reply & the later edit - both are useful, especially the FW download link.

Could you clarify what you mean by the old method of configuring GV? I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that the only way to get the Obi1xx boxes working with the new authentication was to config GV from the Obitalk portal, after upgrading the firmware. Would my existing config work, as-is, after upgrading to build 2824?

BTW, I realized that my initial post should really have referred to an Obi110, as that's the box I'm currently dealing with - however, once that's setup, I'll be following it with an actual Obi100 shortly after & both units are essentially the same thing as far as firmware is concerned.

azrobert

The "Old Method" is the way you currently configure GV, and your OBi will work as-is with 2824. I have an OBi110 with 2824 and I don't have any issues. I believe there is one more upgrade after 2824 that works with the old method and I spent a little time doing searches trying to find it, but since I don't have any problems, I gave up after a few minutes. Like I said in my previous post, once you upgrade to a FW that supports the new version of configuring GV, you can't downgrade an OBi1xx. I also have an OBi200 that I upgraded to the current FW, but the OBi2xx can be downgraded.

limey

Now that is interesting! So, presumably build 2824 must include code to accommodate the GV authentication changes, if it's working now without any issues - I'd previously thought that this didn't happen until build 2853/2873 (going by https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.msg13#msg13 or http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8984.msg15854#msg15854).

I'll give 2824 a try first - the only additional risk is that of maybe having to invoke an additional firmware update afterwards (firmware updates make me nervous, especially on devices that I've grown dependent upon...).

drgeoff

Quote from: limey on July 07, 2015, 11:04:02 AM
Now that is interesting! So, presumably build 2824 must include code to accommodate the GV authentication changes, ...
That is not the conclusion I would form.

And FWIW the 100 and 110 firmware downloads are one and the same.

limey

Quote from: drgeoff on July 07, 2015, 11:29:57 AM
Quote from: limey on July 07, 2015, 11:04:02 AM
Now that is interesting! So, presumably build 2824 must include code to accommodate the GV authentication changes, ...
That is not the conclusion I would form.
Well, the logic behind that assumption is along the lines of - something must have changed with respect to GV in 2824, otherwise what advantage would there be in updating to that build from 2711 (again, with respect to GV)?

QuoteAnd FWIW the 100 and 110 firmware downloads are one and the same.
That's what I'd concluded, but  the further confirmation is good to know.

azrobert

I apologize for not reading your original post thoroughly. 2824 will not help if GV stops supporting the old sign in method. I've had problems with older FW, but none with 2824. Here are the release notes:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8984.0

If you are worried about support, maybe you should go with 2872.

limey

Ah, azrobert - you got my hopes up!

Since February, my obi110 on 2711 has had to hunt for a compatible GV server after any reboot, a process which could sometimes take a few days. Recently, it seems to have been taking much longer - does your obi110 on 2824 also behave this way after a reboot? If it finds a good server relatively quickly, then 2824 may still be worth a punt.

My support concern is mainly if the capability to update to the new GV authentication (a) becomes essential & (b) ever relies on having a paid service plan.

azrobert

Quote from: limey on July 07, 2015, 01:20:18 PM
Since February, my obi110 on 2711 has had to hunt for a compatible GV server after any reboot, a process which could sometimes take a few days. Recently, it seems to have been taking much longer - does your obi110 on 2824 also behave this way after a reboot? If it finds a good server relatively quickly, then 2824 may still be worth a punt.

When I re-boot my OBi110 with 2824, it immediately connects to GV.

QuoteMy support concern is mainly if the capability to update to the new GV authentication (a) becomes essential & (b) ever relies on having a paid service plan.
I have no idea what Google will do in the future.

drgeoff

http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index.php?resources/incredible-pbx-google-voice-oauth.46/

You may need to be signed up and logged in to read all of that. It tells how to obtain your GV authentication token. Possibly that would enable GV on OBis which have not been updated with firmware for the new authentication process. And perhaps all OBis could again be configured for GV without using the portal.

I have NOT yet had sufficient opportunity to verify any of the above.

Edit. Also see post #3 at http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index.php?threads/asterisk-11-oauth-gv-patch.17277/#post-111678 but there may be some concerns over GVSip.

SteveInWA

Quote from: limey on July 07, 2015, 01:20:18 PM
My support concern is mainly if the capability to update to the new GV authentication (a) becomes essential & (b) ever relies on having a paid service plan.

There is a lot of misinformation on the forums about the support fee.  Obihai recently sent out an update, explaining the two different fee-based offerings (extended warranty for devices currently covered by the one-year warranty, or extended technical support for those devices currently past the one-year warranty).  None of this has anything to do with, nor directly impacts, the ability to use Google Voice on an OBi device.

There's really no valid reason to continue using the old firmware or the old Google authentication method.  The new, OAUTH 2.0 method is much more secure, is an industry standard, and can be used regardless of whether you pay a fee or not.

limey

Thanks for your replies, guys!

Manually upgrading to the current fw build, then updating the GV settings via the ObitTalk portal is the way I will eventually go, but I might try out build 2824 first, just to see if it connects as azrobert reports.

@drgeoff, yup, you do need to sign up to read that, but it's potentially useful stuff to know about.

@SteveInWA, I understand/agree that the GV setup thing isn't directly a result of Obihai's support changes, but it is something that users may/have run into when they're running on older firmware & the various forum posts on the subject illustrate that it hasn't been clear that users don't need to subscribe to a paid support plan at that point - I can't help thinking that at least some of the misinformation on the forums, is because Obihai have not explained this particularly well.