News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up an Obi 202 + Obiline in the UK (Draft)

Started by Mouse, July 10, 2015, 04:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouse

Well after all the settings below it seems to be working fine so far, PSTN echo reasonable (but echo suppression a bit instrusive), all calls ringing through, inbound on SIP working as well as outbound. This is how I did it, with a lot of help from others eg Welsh Paul and Drgeoff.

This is how I set up my Obi202 + Obline in the UK to operate with locally applied settings - ie with settings applied via the devices own local web interface not via the Obitalk web site. The process does include registering with the Obitalk website, but not setting the device up using the interface on the Obitalk web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0. Connect up the Obi and Obiline, including connecting a phone, as per the instructions enclosed with the devices and switched on. To connect the phone make sure you use an 'RJ11 (male) to BT phone (female) plug adapter' with a ring capacitor. To connect to the phone system use and RJ11 to RJ11 lead (probably that enclosed is OK)  with a RJ11 (female) to BT (male) adapter. Search on amazon for those phrases. Please note the terminology in the Obi may be confusing - the OBi sees its own LAN (defined by its own router) as *the* LAN, and your LAN as part of the internet - that why you connect your LAN to the internet socket.

1. If the device has previously been used, reset it to the default factory configuration. I believe this can be done by deleting any Obitalk registration for the device, by accessing settings for the device in Your account ~ Dashboard ~ delete device, then pushing the reset button using a biro in the hole on the bottom of the device, but I have not done it myself. I would suggest disconnecting then reconnecting the ObiLine device after doing this.

2. To enable the web configuration interface for the device. Type ***0 from the connected phone then enter 30# - Press 1 to enter a new value - Press 1# to enable - Press 1 to save. Dial ***1 and the IP address of the device is read to you.

3. To enter the web configuration interface open browser running on a machine attached to the same LAN type, and the IP into the browser bar eg: http://192.168.1.131. When asked enter the user name "admin" and the password "admin".

4. To give the router web access and allow registration on Obitalk, navigate to Obi202 ~ Router Config ~ LAN Settings ~ DNS server and enter any public DNS server IP you like. The string "4.2.2.2" works fine. Press submit and reboot if requested.

5. In your ADSL router, give the Obi Device a fixed IP, switch the ADSL router on and off and check that the OBI has been allocated that IP, using ***1 as above. In your ADSL router again create a rule to forward inbound connections on port 10,000 to the Obi device, and ensure there are no restrictions on outbound connections which would apply to that IP. If there are create rules to allow outbound from the device on TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223 and UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305.   Your router manual should help if you don't know how.

6. To connect the device to Obitalk.com and update it, navigate to www.Obitalk.com and set up an account and from the Dashboard within the account choose 'Add device'. I chose not to install Google voice settings. If you have done the above smoothly the process, for which you need no additional info, should 'just work'. If the device needs a firmware update this will be shown as an icon. Click on t and allow the process to proceed, checking the Obi is back online again (as shown on the dashboard) at the end of the process. Don't do this if a power outage is likely!

6a. Alternatively if you don't want to connect your device to Obitalk at all you can update the firmware by downloading it from: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0, the applying it using System Management ~ Device Update ~ Firmware update.

7. To prevent the settings you are about to make being over-written by autoprovisioning, go back into the Obi web interface, using the new IP in your browser, and navigate to System Management ~ Autoprovisioning ~ Obitalk Provisioning ~ Method and set this to disabled. Submit and reboot if requested.

8. To import UK settings, in your browser navigate to https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=369, and download and unzip the most recent Obi202 setup file for the UK. If setting up for a different country, search the Obitalk forums for links to the most recent country specific setup file. The UK Obitalk file sets up the Obiline as well, but you must make sure it is attached before you load the file. Now in the device web interface go to to System Management ~ Device Update, choose to restore the XML file you just downloaded. The Obi device will reboot.

8a. Now set the following further UK setting, if it is not covered by the UK file. (It is supposed to be but did not seem to be on my Obi, but I may have made a mistake). To prevent delays in inbound ringing Set Physical Interfaces ~ Line Port ~ Ring Delay to 400.

9. Now you have finished the basic setup, and you can start setting up your phone services. By default incoming calls from the PSTN (normal phone network) are directed to both phone socket 1 (ph or ph1) and 2 (ph2) under Physical Interfaces ~ Line Port ~Inbound Call Route but you can change this if you wish. Line port is where all the Obiline settings are.

10. I set up my Zen internet VOIP service as follows, though others may vary, consult your VOIP provider for advice if following the guidance below does not work.
ITSP Profile A
   General: Changed Profile ~ Name to Zen; Service Provider Name to to Zebn
   SIP: Changed Proxy server; Registrar Server; Outbound Proxy to voip.zen.uk
   RTP: No changes
Voice Services ~ SP1 Service
   SP1 Service: Changed X_NoREgNoCall to enabled
   Credentials: Changed AuthUserName/Password to my username/password
   Caller ID name: changed to my name.
After setting each page you must press submit, but you may wait to the end of your settings to reboot.

10a. Please note that if you want to set up another Voice Service - eg SP2 - you'll probably want to use  a different ITSP profile (eg B), and you will need to link the Voice Service to the profile using X_ServProvProfile in the Voice Service.

11. To set the default voice service that a phone port (Phone 1 or Phone 2) uses, do the following. Under Physical Interfaces ~ Phone1 Port ~ Phone Port ~ Primary Line set the appropriate phone service. (I set SP1 service).

12. Now using the instructions from your VOIP provider, make the appropriate settings in your ADSL router. Depending on how or whether your SIP provider works round NAT (Network Address Translation) in your router, you may need to forward incoming as well as outbound connections on ports such as those listed in 5 above to the device. Your router manual should tell you how.

13. If you have got this far you have completed a basic UK setup for Obi202 and Obiline - congrats :) !

If you have any corrections/experiences with the above draft please say below and I will amend it.

Kind regards

Mike

Mouse

Sorry wrong board could you move to setup please?

Mouse

OK one issue encountered, a delay before the phone rings on inbound SIP.

I am trying setting Line Port  ~ Ring Delay to 0. This delay is for CLI, but I think this happens before the first ring in the UK?

I wonder can you reduce ring validation time as well? Anyone know?

drgeoff

Yes,  UK CLI is before first ring so the RingDelay can be reduced.

I don't have experience of using a 202 but if I were to use one I doubt that I would use its router mode.  Set it to bridge mode and it just becomes another device on the LAN side of the main router and it gives you back an ethernet port to replace the one it took away. The only downside I see is that you lose the 202's QoS control of traffic from devices on the 202's LAN side. However that needs to be balanced against the low throughput (about 30 Mbit/s) of the 202 as a router and that its QoS stuff is becoming increasingly irrelevant as broadband uplink speeds improve.

Mouse

Quote from: drgeoff on July 10, 2015, 10:28:38 AM
Yes,  UK CLI is before first ring so the RingDelay can be reduced.
Thanks yes 0 is OK for me here so far.

Quote from: drgeoff on July 10, 2015, 10:28:38 AM
I don't have experience of using a 202 but if I were to use one I doubt that I would use its router mode.  Set it to bridge mode and it just becomes another device on the LAN side of the main router and it gives you back an ethernet port to replace the one it took away. The only downside I see is that you lose the 202's QoS control of traffic from devices on the 202's LAN side. However that needs to be balanced against the low throughput (about 30 Mbit/s) of the 202 as a router and that its QoS stuff is becoming increasingly irrelevant as broadband uplink speeds improve.

Interesting. I did a similar thing on the SPA3102. I think its designed for people stateside so the can use it as a broadband router over PPOE. Won't work as a BB router with PPOA in the UK I think.

Mouse

OK added delay @ 8a above. Thanks very much. Will think about bridge mode.

Only one further problem so far - when I dial out there seems to be a small delay between someone answering and me beginning to hear what they are saying - so it sounds like the first few words of their first sentence is cut off.

Happens on both my SIP voice services.

In UK you can replicate this by using 08008008000 which autoanswers. It seems to happen worst when a number is dialed for the first time.......

Kind regards

Mike

WelshPaul

You would of been better off posting this in the UK forum located at the bottom of the board. As for any delay or lost audio which can be replicated by dialling the above said number there is none. (For me)

Is the audio issue happening on calls placed over both OBiLINE and SIP calls?

On another note... There is no need to register your device with the OBiTALK portal if you're configuring the device locally.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mouse

Quote from: WelshPaul on July 11, 2015, 01:56:08 AM
You would of been better off posting this in the UK forum located at the bottom of the board. As for any delay or lost audio which can be replicated by dialling the above said number there is none. (For me)
I agree sorry it was a posting mistake. Could someone please move the topic?

Is the audio issue happening on calls placed over both OBiLINE and SIP calls?
I have not tested that I will check and get back to you. It could be an interaction between my DECT phone jack extender and the Obi 200 unit perhaps. It does not happen, or happens less with my old SPA 3102, and I seem to remember there was an SPA setting involved - I just cannot remember which.

On another note... There is no need to register your device with the OBiTALK portal if you're configuring the device locally.
Yes I understand that. I suggested registering to update the firmware because that is how I did it, and so what I know works. I should maybe edit the post to give direct update as an alternative.

Kind regards

Mike

WelshPaul

I would recommend connecting up a basic corded telephone to your Obi to rule out your DECT phone jack extender.

QuoteI seem to remember there was an SPA setting involved
Wasn't turning OFF Symmetric RTP (Line 1 tab / Audio Configuration) by any chance?

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mouse

Quote from: WelshPaul on July 13, 2015, 03:22:16 AM
I would recommend connecting up a basic corded telephone to your Obi to rule out your DECT phone jack extender.

QuoteI seem to remember there was an SPA setting involved
Wasn't turning OFF Symmetric RTP (Line 1 tab / Audio Configuration) by any chance?

Yes so I think without the phone Jack there is still a signal delay but it means the announcement comes in quicker than you would expect, without cutting off the first few words so that is acceptable but not ideal.

I'll try symmetric RTP. Is there any downside?

Mouse

I have just added another UK setting, adding 17070 (the BT test number) to the list of outbound numbers (like 999) passed through to PSTN in the dialplan. I have added this in phone 1 and Phone 2 settings - is that right?

(It would seem to me there needs to be somewhere to put dialplan settings that apply to all outbound/inbound calls to avoid duplication. Is that what gateways are for?)

17070 does not work with my sip provider.....

ianobi

Quote(It would seem to me there needs to be somewhere to put dialplan settings that apply to all outbound/inbound calls to avoid duplication. Is that what gateways are for?)

In OBi-speak a dial plan is a DigitMap. If you use the same DigitMap in several places, then it's useful to create a User Defined DigitMap. For example:

User Settings > User Defined Digit Maps > User Defined Digit Map2 >
Label: tel
DigitMap: (0[4568]xx.S3|0[123]xxxxxxxxx|07[1-9]xxxxxxxx|116xxx|xx.)

Replace existing DigitMaps with the new User Defined DigitMap:

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General > DigitMap:
(Mtel)

Service Providers > ITSP Profile B > General > DigitMap:
(Mtel)

Any change made to the User Defined DigitMap "tel" will automatically be made to all DigitMaps defined as (Mtel).

Voice Gateways are a different subject. They are used to provide access to VOIP service providers that do not require registration and are used for outgoing calls only. In the UK I use registered VOIP providers on various spXs, but I use a Voice Gateway for a voipcheap.co.uk service which I use for outgoing mobile calls as they only charge 3p per minute. In the UK DigitMaps can be arranged to automatically route any number beginning with "07" to any specific Voice Gateway.

Mouse

Quote from: ianobi on July 18, 2015, 02:22:51 AM
Quote(It would seem to me there needs to be somewhere to put dialplan settings that apply to all outbound/inbound calls to avoid duplication. Is that what gateways are for?)

In OBi-speak a dial plan is a DigitMap. If you use the same DigitMap in several places, then it's useful to create a User Defined DigitMap. For example:

User Settings > User Defined Digit Maps > User Defined Digit Map2 >
Label: tel
DigitMap: (0[4568]xx.S3|0[123]xxxxxxxxx|07[1-9]xxxxxxxx|116xxx|xx.)

Replace existing DigitMaps with the new User Defined DigitMap:

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General > DigitMap:
(Mtel)

Service Providers > ITSP Profile B > General > DigitMap:
(Mtel)

Any change made to the User Defined DigitMap "tel" will automatically be made to all DigitMaps defined as (Mtel).
Thanks that's quite neat.

Voice Gateways are a different subject. They are used to provide access to VOIP service providers that do not require registration and are used for outgoing calls only. In the UK I use registered VOIP providers on various spXs, but I use a Voice Gateway for a voipcheap.co.uk service which I use for outgoing mobile calls as they only charge 3p per minute. In the UK DigitMaps can be arranged to automatically route any number beginning with "07" to any specific Voice Gateway.
OK like the SPA 3102 in a way then

Thanks very much for your feedback

Mike

Mouse

Hmm I said above that the inbound PSTN echo problem is solved with the UK settings but maybe not quite.

1. A loud sound with a sharp rise time still attracts an echo, though it is truncated and diminished by the canceller.
2. The echo canceller still seems to have the SPA3102 problem of giving a half duplex flavor to conversations. When you start talking the voice of the person at the other end gets a bit suppressed.

1. is at an acceptable level I think but my wife reports that 2 is problematic as it leads to missing things that people are saying, and people talking over each other without realizing. Both effects I think are better than on the SPA.

Any ideas (if symmetric RTP reduces signal delay then maybe it will help with echo and hence suppression symptoms?)

On the SPA the best approach to reducing the echo tail was to reduce the RTP packet size or Jitter buffer size as this reduced processing lag through the device. You could then sometimes switch off the canceller. I guess packet size is G711a/u packetisation period on the 202, but I dunno if this applies to the Line input. Can you switch off the canceller and adjust the jitter buffer - I cannot find the settings......?

Maybe preferring 711u would help as the device is probably optimized for it?

On PSTN does inbound work like the SPA? Processing the analogue signal into a digital one, then back to analogue. This was the source of delay on the SPA.

Kind regards

Mike

Mouse

I just changed CLI trigger on phone 1 and phone 2 to 'before first ring', which I think is correct for the UK. Also changed in the setup guide in the first post.

This solved a problem with incoming calls constantly being detected as unanswered and thus added to unanswered call logs for me.

Did not seem to be in UK settings file?

Mouse

Now trying packetsize of 10 ms and Line 1 TX gain = 0 -> -3 with compensatory DTMF gain -5 -> -2 to reduce echo and thus associated suppression activity.

Mouse

Quote from: Mouse on July 19, 2015, 01:43:04 AM
Now trying packetsize of 10 ms and Line 1 TX gain = 0 -> -3 with compensatory DTMF gain -5 -> -2 to reduce echo and thus associated suppression activity.

Does not work. Its apparently not passing on DTMF even if I reduce TX gain only to -1, even with the compensation.

I am not sure DTMF playback level setting is working. Or maybe it works different from the SPA 3102.

drgeoff

Quote from: Mouse on July 19, 2015, 02:01:47 AM
Quote from: Mouse on July 19, 2015, 01:43:04 AM

Does not work. Its apparently not passing on DTMF even if I reduce TX gain only to -1, even with the compensation.

I am not sure DTMF playback level setting is working. Or maybe it works different from the SPA 3102.
My understanding of DTMF playback level is as follows but may be incorrect.

When DTMF tones are sent to your OBi out of band (ie in a side digital message,  not tones in the coded speech path) your OBi reconstructs analogue DTMF tones to come out on the phone port. That parameter sets the level of those tones.

If the above is correct it will have no relevance to DTMF tones sent to a callee.

WelshPaul

Quote from: Mouse on July 18, 2015, 01:36:34 PM
I just changed CLI trigger on phone 1 and phone 2 to 'before first ring', which I think is correct for the UK. Also changed in the setup guide in the first post.

This solved a problem with incoming calls constantly being detected as unanswered and thus added to unanswered call logs for me.

This has been discussed many times.  ;)

The reason why it isn't included in the UK configuration files anywhere is down to the fact Obihai never offered the 'before first ring' option. This must have been added in a recent firmware revision and as Obihai do not publish any change logs there is no way for me to know that it is now supported. (until either I stumble upon it or another user points it out)

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8935.0
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mouse

Quote from: WelshPaul on July 19, 2015, 05:50:02 AM
Quote from: Mouse on July 18, 2015, 01:36:34 PM

This has been discussed many times.  ;)

The reason why it isn't included in the UK configuration files anywhere is down to the fact Obihai never offered the 'before first ring' option. This must have been added in a recent firmware revision and as Obihai do not publish any change logs there is no way for me to know that it is now supported. (until either I stumble upon it or another user points it out)

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8935.0

OK glad to have served that purpose :)