News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Energy saving question on OBi110 & Google Voice

Started by VOIP_JoeSummy, July 16, 2015, 10:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOIP_JoeSummy

My OBi110 SP1 connects to Google Voice.  SP2 is idle.  Line Port connects to local Bell Canada PTSN landline.

I intend to use SP1 Google Voice for all the outgoing calls, and use Line Port for all the incoming calls, i.e., I do not use SP1/SP2/OBiTalk for incoming calls.

I have a question about Google Voice. Is Google Voice constantly sending some sort of registration data to its server, similar to what a registered SIP service does, thus forcing the modem/router/switch to be alive all the time, and defeating their energy saving feature?

If so, is there a way to disable such GV auto-registration behavior?

Also, is OBi110 itself having any kind of constant auto-connect/update/register behavior that I need to be aware of?

Mango

From the admin guide:

When Google Voice is selected as the protocol, all the other ITSP Profile parameters are ignored except the DigitMap parameter. The following SP1/SP2 Service parameters are also ignored:

-          X_Codec_Profile, X_RegisterEnable, X_UserAgentPort, X_SipDebugOption
-          X_KeepAliveEnable, X_KeepAliveExpires, X_KeepAliveServer, X_KeepAliveServerPort, X_KeepAliveMsgType
-          URI, MaxSessions, X_AcceptDialogSubscription, X_AcceptLinePortStatusSubscription

tl;dr: I am not aware of a way to disable registration to Google Voice.

Is there a particular reason you're worried about power consumption?  Devices like modems and routers use, in my experience, 4-6W.  This is quite negligible.  Even a 800lm LED bulb will use a minimum of ~8.5W.

Quote from: VOIP_JoeSummy on July 16, 2015, 10:45:14 AMAlso, is OBi110 itself having any kind of constant auto-connect/update/register behavior that I need to be aware of?

Yes.  See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10190.0 if you wish to disable this behaviour.