News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Support & Warranty

Started by bruzer, July 18, 2015, 08:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruzer

I just signed up with OBi with an OBi110 device that I just bought from Amazon.  The registration process tells me that support for my device has already expired and that I have to purchase a $10 1yr plan in order to get FW updates and premium support.   Is this correct?  Why is my device expired when I just bought it?  Is it the case that I won't be able to update FW until I purchase this support? 
Thanks.

Taoman

You can update your firmware manually. Then you will be able to configure your OBi on the Obitalk web portal.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10028.msg66308#msg66308

Don't really understand why you would be getting this message if it's a brand new Obihai from Amazon. You may wish to contact customer support about it.

bruzer

Thanks.  I did see the manual options. I just updated and found the device does have the most recent FW.  I'll contact CustServ and ask about the support issues.
-bruzer

LTN1

Quote from: bruzer on July 18, 2015, 08:05:03 PM
I just signed up with OBi with an OBi110 device that I just bought from Amazon.  The registration process tells me that support for my device has already expired and that I have to purchase a $10 1yr plan in order to get FW updates and premium support.   Is this correct?  Why is my device expired when I just bought it?  Is it the case that I won't be able to update FW until I purchase this support? 
Thanks.

You can always contact technical support; tell them the problem--attach a scanned copy of the purchase receipt and I'm sure your issue will have a quicker resolution.

SteveInWA

If you truthfully did just buy the OBi from Amazon, then it's likely some former customer scammed them by buying a device, kept it for at least a year, and then returned it.

I agree with LTN1 -- open a trouble ticket with Obihai, and provide proof of purchase date, and they should be able to adjust your warranty date.  Otherwise, you could return it to Amazon and let the next victim deal with it.

WelshPaul

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 19, 2015, 09:22:45 PM
If you truthfully did just buy the OBi from Amazon, then it's likely some former customer scammed them by buying a device, kept it for at least a year, and then returned it.

I agree with LTN1 -- open a trouble ticket with Obihai, and provide proof of purchase date, and they should be able to adjust your warranty date.  Otherwise, you could return it to Amazon and let the next victim deal with it.

Or somebody purchased one over a year ago, connected it up for five minutes but couldn't work out how to set it up and returned it the very next day. Amazon could of put it back on the shelf right at the back of the pile where a year later the OP purchased it.

Here in the UK, it is illegal to sell customer returns as new. If someone purchases goods, uses them and returns them for whatever reason the retailer should not be putting them back on the shelf for sale as brand new stock.

Your supposed to inform customers that goods are customer returns, ex display etc...

OBIHAI returns are not supposed to be put back on the shelf, I know this first hand. Contact support as others have already mentioned and let us know what they say. :)

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

LTN1

For an innocent purchaser with a valid receipt, it would be in OBi's interest to readjust the warranty. If they can extend a warranty with payment, they can readjust a warranty. The other option is to lose a sale by having the customer return the device, here, to Amazon--and Amazon, this time, will likely return it to them as a defect. Just let technical support know of what the final outcome may be if you are forced to return it--and if they are smart customer service people, they will readjust the warranty period.