News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Static Noise OBI200 Just Purchased

Started by LanMan, July 23, 2015, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanMan

Hello,

I just purchased an OBI200 and set it up. It works, but I am getting a bunch of static on the line. I went to move the OBI200 further away from the router and as soon as I picked up the OBI200 the noise went away. It appears that as soon as I touch the back of the unit around the Ethernet cable, the noise goes away. I tried a different cable and no difference. If I continue to touch the back of the unit, it is clear as a bell. But I can't stand there doing that. Is there something I can try or should I just get a replacement unit? I purchased it on July 6th and received it on July 15th. So I only had it for 8 days at this point.

drgeoff

Dial ***1. What you hear comes from within the unit,  not via the ethernet cable. Is that  noisy?

Are you using a wired phone or a cordless handset?

LanMan

I am using a wired handset.  I am going to try a different handset today. I will also try the ***1. What does that command do?

LanMan

My wired phone is a GE Model NUMBER: 2-9224WHC

What I need to know is do I have a defective OBI200
or is it just an incompatible with my phone???

If I put a finger on the back of the OBI200, the noise goes away. 95% of it anyway.
The noise is there even if I don't have the Ethernet cable plugged in or not.

Is there someone from OBI that can advise???

LanMan

I guess the smart thing to do is return it and ask for a replacement unit. Then I will know if the new one does the same thing or not.

SteveInWA

Quote from: LanMan on July 24, 2015, 11:01:18 AM
I guess the smart thing to do is return it and ask for a replacement unit. Then I will know if the new one does the same thing or not.

The smart thing to do would be to follow drgeoff's instructions.  Try another telephone.  Plug in the phone.  Pick up the handset.  Dial ***1.  You should hear the computerized voice tell you the device's basic network status.  It should be perfectly clear.  What happens?

LanMan

Thanks SteveInWa  and drgeoff for your help,

When I do the ***1, I hear the network stats, but there is still static in the background.  But as I say, the noise goes away if I touch and hold the back of the OBI200 unit. I put my thumb over the USB port and the noise pretty much is gone. Very strange. Everything else functions normally the best I can tell.

I did borrow one of those new fangled cordless phones (w/built in answering system) from a relative  and noise was gone. So maybe its an incompatibility with my old basic GE phones.

Also, if I disconnect the Ethernet cable, the noise is still there. You can still hear the dial tone, but as soon as you dial the first number, (when the phone should be dead quiet), you hear all the static. Much like an old TV when you went to a channel that was not transmitting anything.

The GE phones work fine on my Verizon FIOS network. No static. But I am trying to get off their system. I might have to spring for some new phones.

SteveInWA

Get
A
New
Telephone.

That old telephone has some sort of capacitive coupling going on between the phone, your body and the OBi.  Time for a new one.  Cheap consumer products like that don't last forever, and the "GE" brand doesn't bring along any special quality.  Any phone that says "GE", "RCA" or "AT&T" on it is made by a Chinese company that simply licensed the US companies' trademarks -- none of those companies actually make telephones.  I recommend a Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless model, whichever one you wish -- they're all excellent.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 24, 2015, 02:22:32 PM
Any phone that says "GE", "RCA" or "AT&T" on it is made by a Chinese company that simply licensed the US companies' trademarks -- none of those companies actually make telephones.
I recall hearing that GE no longer even licenses their trademark for telephones.  So while I am sure there is some new old stock sitting in warehouses, any existing set is probably old enough that it should be considered obsolete, and best to send to your local electronic recycling center.  The days of 30 year designs (the Western Electic model 500) are long over.

LanMan

Thank you all for your advise. Yes, the phone is getting pretty old. But it still works with FIOS. That Panasonic phone you mentioned is the one I borrowed. It was pretty nice and was crystal clear.  So maybe I will get one of those. I guess it is time to move into the wireless phones. I like to stay a few generations back so they have time to work all the bugs out. ;<)

infobits

Quote from: LanMan on July 23, 2015, 06:28:12 PM
Hello,

I just purchased an OBI200 and set it up. It works, but I am getting a bunch of static on the line. I went to move the OBI200 further away from the router and as soon as I picked up the OBI200 the noise went away. It appears that as soon as I touch the back of the unit around the Ethernet cable, the noise goes away. I tried a different cable and no difference. If I continue to touch the back of the unit, it is clear as a bell. But I can't stand there doing that. Is there something I can try or should I just get a replacement unit? I purchased it on July 6th and received it on July 15th. So I only had it for 8 days at this point.

My OBi200 has just developed a loud static background noise too. I purchased it and enabled it on December 04, 2015, less than a year ago from this writing.  I had associated my google voice number with it and it worked pretty much fine all this time until today when I went to use it and there was this loud static background noise from the phone. I could still make and receive calls but the back ground static noise remains on all calls. I have rebooted the unit several times and I have manually updated to the latest firmware version OBi202-3-1-0-5264.fw. None of these steps resolve the static noise issue. I have tried connecting another phone set to make sure it was not the phone that went bad but that did not solve the problem either.  So I suspect that the OBI200 device has gone bad and become noisey.  I've used the OBIHai website contact support page to send them a message about this issue but have not received any reply yet.  This is disappointing to say the least.  Anyone else have this problem? Mine is less than a year old, so is it under warranty to be replaced?

SteveInWA

Quote from: infobits on June 30, 2016, 12:34:18 PM
Quote from: LanMan on July 23, 2015, 06:28:12 PM
Hello,

My OBi200 has just developed a loud static background noise too. I purchased it and enabled it on December 04, 2015, less than a year ago from this writing.  I had associated my google voice number with it and it worked pretty much fine all this time until today when I went to use it and there was this loud static background noise from the phone. I could still make and receive calls but the back ground static noise remains on all calls. I have rebooted the unit several times and I have manually updated to the latest firmware version OBi202-3-1-0-5264.fw. None of these steps resolve the static noise issue. I have tried connecting another phone set to make sure it was not the phone that went bad but that did not solve the problem either.  So I suspect that the OBI200 device has gone bad and become noisey.  I've used the OBIHai website contact support page to send them a message about this issue but have not received any reply yet.  This is disappointing to say the least.  Anyone else have this problem? Mine is less than a year old, so is it under warranty to be replaced?

Yes, it appears that your OBi has gone bad.  Just keep hounding them, and you'll hear back and get it replaced under warranty.

Jayg30

I just purchased an obi200 and am having the exact same issue with static that goes away if I put a finger on the USB port. It happens with an old at&t model 1856, but also a much newer Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless with Bluetooth model KX-TG7641.

Phones work fine through Comcast voice.

I'm tempted to buy a different ATA because I think this is a design flaw of the obi product. I have large VoIP installs for work using asterisk and have used the Cisco ATAs in the past without this issue.

SteveInWA

No, I wouldn't call one report of this a few years ago and now one report from you, being a design flaw.

The problem is that the products (both your phones and your OBi) are not grounded, and the neutral wire is typically bonded to ground at the electrical service panel.  Along the way, the long runs of Romex can pick up interference from other things plugged into the wiring, or even other wiring running in parallel.  You have some interference being picked up from your wiring.

I'd buy a high-quality surge protector with noise filtering, like an APC SurgeArrest, and plug the OBi and the phone into it.  If the static persists, return the OBi for exchange.