News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't configure OBi1032...

Started by N7AS, July 26, 2015, 09:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N7AS

I went to change some settings on my OBi1032 IP Phone. I configure locally and not on the OBi portal.
I logged in using the Static IP I have assigned to the phone. The only thing I can do is view my Call History. I rebooted the phone and have the same problem. What's up with that?

Edit: Come to think of it my OBi100, OBi200 and OBi202 act the same Way. Only Call History is able to be viewed. The status page and all other pages are blank.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Taoman

Running Chrome? Try using a different browser.

N7AS

Quote from: Taoman on July 26, 2015, 10:02:00 PM
Running Chrome? Try using a different browser.

I tried Firefox and that worked. It has always worked with Chrome until now. I wonder if there is a way to fix it?

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

SteveInWA

The bug has to do with the way Chrome Browser displays the frame on the right side of the page, and it appeared after a recent update to Chrome Browser.  Obihai is aware of the issue and they're working to update their code to be compliant.  Mine actually started working again over the weekend, but perhaps it's a work in progress.

"There is nothing wrong with your television set."

N7AS

Thanks Steve. At least I can get there with Firefox.
About that Link... I remember that well and those TV test patterns from the 50's. Way back then, I thought WW2 was fought in Black & White.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

SteveInWA

Ha ha.  I guess we could drift off into an olde-tymer's litany of things "these kids today" have never seen, like an analog TV with no on-screen menus or remote control, and only creaky knobs that adjust the vertical and horizontal hold.

Update:  Obihai has fixed their web page code for the portal-accessed configuration, but fixing it for the local devices' web pages will naturally require firmware updates to the built-in web function.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 27, 2015, 04:12:42 PM
like an analog TV with no on-screen menus or remote control
They had a remote control, you just had to ask the child/spouse to change the channel and/or volume.  It was not always quickly responsive, and sometimes failed if no one else was within yelling range, but it was well understood technology.  And they could also adjust the signal quality by moving their arms just so while standing next to the rabbit ears.

RFC3261

Update:  Obihai has fixed their web page code for the portal-accessed configuration, but fixing it for the local devices' web pages will naturally require firmware updates to the built-in web function.
Does that mean we get to (re)start the "firmware updates suck/cost" threads?  I look forward to that.  Like I look forward to hitting my head against the wall.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RFC3261 on July 28, 2015, 11:13:40 AM
Does that mean we get to (re)start the "firmware updates suck/cost" threads?  I look forward to that.  Like I look forward to hitting my head against the wall.

Don't even get me started.   :-[

BigJim_McD

My temporary work around to access the OBi device local web admin page is to use an "extension" on Google Chrome. 

IE Tab 8.4.13.1  -  "Display web pages using IE within Chrome. Supports ActiveX controls, Sharepoint, ICBC, alipay."

I'm just "hoping" that OBi comes out with a firmware fix soon but I'm not betting on it being anytime soon.
BigJimMcD

drgeoff

Would someone please explain?

1. Is the firmware in OBi devices producing web pages containing invalid html?

2.  Is a recent version of Chrome browser not properly displaying valid html?

N7AS

Quote from: drgeoff on July 28, 2015, 03:10:08 PM
Would someone please explain?

1. Is the firmware in OBi devices producing web pages containing invalid html?

2.  Is a recent version of Chrome browser not properly displaying valid html?

I was thinking the same thing. We did have an update to the OBi1032 not too long ago. But nothing for the OBi2xx devices. I only noticed the problem when I wanted to add a speed dial a few days ago. So I doubt it's in the device firmware. It's most likely a Chrome problem as I can use Firefox to get into the local GUI.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

SteveInWA

It's not  "invalid" HTML, per se.  It's just that the latest versions of Chrome Browser have a problem displaying the code, the way it was originally written by Obihai.

If you look at the OBi configuration pages via the OBiTALK portal, you'll see a two-column left sidebar, that includes the pictures and Amazon links to the devices, and then the column of the various configuration settings.  Rather than re-write that entire page every time a different configuration section is viewed or edited, the pages use an iframe to display a "page within a page".  For example, if you click on the system status selection in the sidebar, you'll see the screen flash and then load the system status iframe on the right.

I don't feel like wading through the Chrome Browser changelog, but my guess is that the Chrome developers made some sort of subtle change to the iframe display code, that is causing it to fail to load the iframes being served to it by OBi.  Often, these are security vulnerabilities that get patched (e.g. to avoid a malicious iframe being inserted).  The other web browsers (IE and Firefox for example) may or may not also make this change in the future, depending on whether it's a security issue or not.

The web server (either the OBiTALK portal, or the device's built-in web server) needed an update to cope with this change.  Obihai fixed their portal server code, but doing so on the devices means that the embedded web server in the devices' firmware needs to be patched.

If you are curious, you can load the portal page in Chrome, and right click on some area of the page, and then select "inspect element".  A window displaying the page's HTML will appear, and you can click around the page to look at the code.

Does that make sense?

N7AS

The thing that is strange is that Call History is displayed in the frame and nothing else.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

SteveInWA

Quote from: N7AS on July 28, 2015, 05:20:28 PM
The thing that is strange is that Call History is displayed in the frame and nothing else.

There is nothing strange about that.  I've explained why the problem exists.  It's possible that there are some frames that can be rendered correctly, while others can't.  Notice that the call history page is in a different format from the settings pages.  It's a moot point.  Whenever Obihai gets around to patching the embedded web server code via a firmware update, the problem will get fixed.  In the meantime, either use a non-Chrome browser to view the pages, or use the portal.

HTML is an evolving standard, and two things are as certain as the sun rising every day:  new standards and best practices will emerge that involve changes to web server code, and new security vulnerabilities will be discovered that need to be patched.  You can Google "iframe vulnerability" to understand how this helpful part of HTML introduced some security exposures that need to be addressed from time to time, and how evolving HTML standards (e.g. HTML5, CSS) emerge that offer new ways to display content.  You can't expect the little embedded web server in your various connected gizmos to continue to work properly without periodic updates.

** extra credit:  when iframes were first used, a major concern was that an attacker could inject a fake iframe inside a legitimate website, to steal your private information.  For example, you might have been on a banking or shopping website, but a vulnerability allowed some other (bad actor) web server to insert an iframe that looked like a form for you to fill in, thus tricking you into giving them your private data.

drgeoff

I was wondering why anyone thought there was any onus on Obihai to address the 'Chome issue'.  Now I understand why it isn't a simple case of 'Google goofed and Google need to fix it'.

WelshPaul

I wasn't going to post on the issue as I didn't think chrome would fix the issue but it appears they have: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=512827

We just have to wait for the stable release to be updated and hopefully the issue will be resolved.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

SteveInWA

Yep, the fix was merged into Chrome beta, and it now displays properly.  Longer-term, though, the XLS code will probably be deprecated, and at some point in the future, web pages (such as those generated by the OBi devices' embedded web servers) will need to be updated to display the frames.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/zIg2KC7PyH0%5B1-25%5D

Thanks for the link.