News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I keep getting calls from "asterisk" waking us up in the wee hours????

Started by andyha, June 13, 2011, 11:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyha

I keep getting these calls from "asterisk". They come at all hours but a lot of them are at 3 and 4 in the morning. Wife is getting pissed....so am I. What can I do to stop these. Can they be blocked? Hey I'm not the best looking bloke but even I need my beauty sleep!!

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

andyha

Quote from: QBZappy on June 13, 2011, 11:42:18 AM
andyha,
Hi,

Have a look here for a solution. It seems you are not the only one having this problem.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=823.msg6324#msg6324

Thanks OBZappy, I have my cell phone in my circle of trust in the X_InboundCallRoute, so I just added {asterisk:},{(xxx):},{ph} at the end. My cell still gets the AA, so that's still working. I will wait to see if the "asterisk" calls stop now.

PS, I am still rock solid with the OBI110 and Freephoneline. Haven't noticed any registration issues at all.  Thanks again for your help

andyha

Quote from: andyha on June 13, 2011, 12:14:44 PM
Quote from: QBZappy on June 13, 2011, 11:42:18 AM
andyha,
Hi,

Have a look here for a solution. It seems you are not the only one having this problem.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=823.msg6324#msg6324

Thanks OBZappy, I have my cell phone in my circle of trust in the X_InboundCallRoute, so I just added {asterisk:},{(xxx):},{ph} at the end. My cell still gets the AA, so that's still working. I will wait to see if the "asterisk" calls stop now.

PS, I am still rock solid with the OBI110 and Freephoneline. Haven't noticed any registration issues at all.  Thanks again for your help

Just to let everyone know adding {asterisk:},{(xxx):},{ph} on to my X_InboundCallRoute does not stop the calls from "asterisk". I just got another one tonight. Looking for a way that will work.
Any ideas??

RonR

andyha,

Try:

X_InboundCallRoute : {'asterisk':},{(xxx):},{ph}

andyha

I'm givin' that a try...thanks RonR will let you know over the next few days if it works.

andyha

Quote from: RonR on June 13, 2011, 10:56:01 PM
andyha,

Try:

X_InboundCallRoute : {'asterisk':},{(xxx):},{ph}

Bad news, this is NOT working. Received 2 calls already today from "asterisk" This is really starting to get annoying. Anyone else find a solution to this??

RonR

All I know to do is keep trying:

X_InboundCallRoute : {('asterisk'):},{(xxx):},{ph}

andyha

So far so good. I contacted OBI and they said to contact my voip provider. Went on my voip provider forum and there was an entire thread about this issue. There is a fix that appears to be working so far. Stop forwarding port 5060 in your router. Apparently that's where a lot of these calls are coming in  According to the forum, some routers need port 5060 forwarded to your ATA, but the better routers don't. I run DD-WRT on my linksys WRT54GL and apparently this setup does NOT need port 5060 forwarded. I removed the forward and have not got an asterisk call yet. It hasn't been that long so I will wait and see if this indeed is a fix. I will let you all know in a few days how it's going.

RonR

You'll most likely need port 5060 forwarded in order to receive calls via SIP URI or those forwarded from a DID such as IPKall, so I wouldn't be pleased with removing the port forwarding as the solution.  If the only SIP you're doing is a registered connection to a provider, there's probably not an issue.

andyha

Quote from: RonR on June 16, 2011, 11:07:50 AM
You'll most likely need port 5060 forwarded in order to receive calls via SIP URI or those forwarded from a DID such as IPKall, so I wouldn't be pleased with removing the port forwarding as the solution.  If the only SIP you're doing is a registered connection to a provider, there's probably not an issue.

Hey Ron thanks for your reply, you are obviously more knowledgeable than me in voip matters. I have to admit that I don't know what SIP URI means. I've heard it mentioned a lot but don't know what it is. As far as receiving calls from a DID, do you mean that if someone is trying to call me from a voip DID that I won't receive the call if I don't forward port 5060?

RonR

A SIP URI is used to call a VoIP endpoint over the Internet.  If I knew your IP address, I could call your OBi using a SIP URI : anything@w.x.y.z:5060 (for SP1 or 5061 for SP2).

If you had your own DID (such as an IPKall number), you could have it forwarded to your OBi.

Both of these would probably require having ports 5060 - 5061 forwarded to your OBi.

JTravers

I use a port different than 5060 (5068, for instance) for IPKall or any other SIP URI, and that has stopped the "asterisk" calls in the middle of the night.

Just be sure to set the appropriate X_UserAgentPort (SP1 or SP2) to the alternate port.

It works for me. Hopefully, you can get it working, too.