News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Adding a second line to my obi110

Started by Themow, August 07, 2015, 02:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Themow

I have an obi110 that has been running for years with a google voice #

Can I port this second line to the same google voice account as my first?

SteveInWA

What do you mean?  Provide more details.

Themow

I have an obi110 running with a google voice number. I have a second landline number that I ported to tracfone. My plan is to port it to google voice and have both lines ring through my obi110. Can I port the second number from tracfone to the same google voice account as my first line?

OzarkEdge

I think the answer is yes, you can have both a GV number and your ported number reside in the same one GV account.  Someone here will confirm.

OE

Themow

I have no issue opening another GV account. In fact I already have one that I can use. Just wondering if it makes a difference either way?

LTN1

Quote from: Themow on August 12, 2015, 11:00:11 AM
I have no issue opening another GV account. In fact I already have one that I can use. Just wondering if it makes a difference either way?

Best to open or use another GV account for the porting. You can port in the number to a current account and pay to keep both numbers but only one can be the primary--so the non-primary number just acts like a forwarding number. Unless things have changed, when you call or text using the GV account having both numbers, only the primary number will show as the outgoing. With two separate accounts, you can choose which number you would like to use when dialing out, etc. (GV experts like Steve can weigh in if this isn't the case.)

Themow

Ok please update. I was under the assumption that the phone plugges into sp1 would dial out from that GV number and SP2 would dial out from the other.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Themow on August 12, 2015, 08:37:10 AM
I have an obi110 running with a google voice number. I have a second landline number that I ported to tracfone. My plan is to port it to google voice and have both lines ring through my obi110. Can I port the second number from tracfone to the same google voice account as my first line?

Google Voice accounts can have one or two inbound numbers.  One number can be obtained from Google, and another ported-in, or you can port in two numbers.

If you were to port in the Tracfone number, you would then have two inbound Google Voice numbers.  Inbound calls to either number would ring all the same forwarding destinations, without any way to differentiate which inbound called number rings which forwarding destinations, nor which voicemail recording is played, based on the number called.  By "forwarding destinations", I mean, Google Chat/XMPP/OBi, or Hangouts, or any PSTN forwarding phone numbers you've verified and added.

So, this is mainly useful when you have two numbers, and you don't care which one the caller dialed -- just ring the same forwarding destinations.

When you have two inbound GV numbers, you can swap which one is "primary" vs. "secondary".  All this does is determine which number's caller ID is sent on outbound calls -- all inbound behavior remains the same.

If this doesn't work for you, then port the Tracfone to a separate GV account.  Note, regarding forwarding destinations:  do keep in mind that you cannot forward two different GV numbers to the same forwarding mobile phone number.  A type = mobile number can only be used on one account.  Type = home or type = work (non-mobile) can be listed as forwarding phones on a maximum of two different GV accounts.

Regarding OBi use:

Inbound calls follow the GV account setup, meaning, if you have two GV numbers on one account, and that account is configured on SP1, then all inbound calls will go to SP1.  If you have two GV numbers, one on each of two GV accounts, and you define the second GV account as SP2, then you'll have two independently-operating numbers for both inbound and outbound calls.

drgeoff

Quote from: Themow on August 12, 2015, 12:37:03 PM
Ok please update. I was under the assumption that the phone plugges into sp1 would dial out from that GV number and SP2 would dial out from the other.
No.  Everything is configurable.

The phone does not plug into SP1 or SP2. SPs are the Service Provider slots. Those are logical entities. The phone plugs into the PHONE socket.  That is physical. The settings for PrimaryLine, DigitMap and OutboundCallRouting in conjuction with the possible use of a **n prefix determine which SP will be used for any particular dialled call.

gray2283

Ok porting number now. THanks for replies. Hopefully you dont hear from me again!