News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Old Analog Security System - Will Obi100 work?

Started by tshah, August 12, 2015, 11:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tshah

I have a legacy Analog security system currently works on Landline phone. If the landline is not connected..It give me continuous error every 30 mins. I am paying way too much for my landline and thinking about this VOIP with Obi100 adapter to make that switch.

Will it work? Any other thing that I need to be concerned about?

MurrayB

There has been much posted on this forum about this subject. Do a search and read all the posts.

In a nutshell the answer is NO!  VOIP is totally unreliable for this application.

I dropped my landlines and went to a cellular communicator for the security system.

Good Luck!

tshah

Thank you for your reply. I understand your concern about reliability for security system monitoring.
No worried about reliability. All i need is that my security system gets a signal from phone line so it does not give me error every 30 mins. This security system has been password protected by previous owners of house and I do not have means to change to settings. All I need is phone signal. so, If i connect via Obi - will it do that? will it provide signal to my security system just like POTS would do?

SteveInWA

The alarm panel is looking for the ~48VDC on-hook voltage on the phone line, and if not present, it'll complain.  So, yes, just plugging in an OBi's phone port will satisfy the requirement.  However, when you do get an alarm, or when the system does a periodic self-test of its communicator, it'll fail, if that phone line isn't able to actually communicate with the central station.  So really, this isn't going to be a good solution.

By the way, the phone line detect feature is optional on most Honeywell/Ademco panels (you can disable it).  Off-topic for this forum, but if you could get the password reset, or find out the installer password, you can turn off this feature.