News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Analog phone stops working

Started by roborative, June 14, 2011, 05:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roborative

My analog phone will occasionally display a message "Check Tel Line". When I see this message I cannot get a dial tone and any access to the Obi110 seems to fail from the phone. I can use my iPhone to connect to the Obi110. The only thing I've found that allows the analog phone to work again is if I unplug the Obi110 for ten seconds or so.

This issue has started occurring frequently and is tiresome so I'm hopeful that someone has a solution for it.

Thanks!

RonR

Have you tried a different telephone connected to the OBi's PHONE Port to isolate whether it's the phone or the OBi that's the problem?

roborative

I have not but I've unplugged the phone's power supply (it's a cordless) for a minute or so and plugged it back in and it has no effect. The only thing that makes a difference is unplugging the power supply of the Obi110. I don't have another analog phone to test with unfortunately.

RonR

roborative,

With power removed from the OBi, the PHONE Port is connected directly to the LINE Port, totally bypassing the OBi.

You might try changing:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OnHookTipRingVoltage : 52

If that has no effect, I think you need to find another telephone to try.  It doesn't need to be anything special.

roborative

@RonR: I'm a little confused as I don't have a land line. Just to clarify, the analog phone works again once I plug in the OBi. It's like something has reset and there's an audible click -- it's like something has been reset.

RonR

My comments regarding the LINE Port are correct, just not applicable to you.  It's the PHONE Port to LINE Port bypass relay you hear clicking.

I would still bump the PHONE Port voltage up to 52 volts.  The 46 volt default value may be marginal for your particular telephone.  The telephone company normally supplies 48 volts or more (CenturyTel here runs around 56 volts).

timrand

I just bumped my Phone port voltage to 50 volts and it seemed to solve the problem I was having.  My Panasonic cordless phone would not get dial tone.  I reset the OBI100 that I have and it still did not come back up until I changed the voltage.

This is a new behavior after I updated to the latest firmware day before yesterday.

roborative

Same here (also Panasonic unit). Thanks!

roborative

Spoke too soon. Seeing issue again even with 52.