News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Home VoIP System (not a typical setup)

Started by aragno, August 24, 2015, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aragno

I want to setup a housewide home VoIP network that works a little like a PABX. Here is what I am wanting:

1) use my Google Voice number
2) have multiple Obi1032 around the house
3) have multiple cordless phones around the house via a typical multi-handset landline cordless phone system (perhaps using a Obi200 or similar on the base station handset??)
4) can call between all phones at home via "extensions"
5) Google voice voicemail indication on phones (as much as possible)

Am I looking for something impossible? Or something what will be complex and IT intensive for a home setup?

Thanks in advance!

SteveInWA

Quote from: aragno on August 24, 2015, 07:46:03 AM
I want to setup a housewide home VoIP network that works a little like a PABX. Here is what I am wanting:

1) use my Google Voice number
2) have multiple Obi1032 around the house
3) have multiple cordless phones around the house via a typical multi-handset landline cordless phone system (perhaps using a Obi200 or similar on the base station handset??)
4) can call between all phones at home via "extensions"
5) Google voice voicemail indication on phones (as much as possible)

Am I looking for something impossible? Or something what will be complex and IT intensive for a home setup?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can do everything on your list easily, except #5, which is not supported at all with Google Voice.  Everything else is "it just works", with no custom setup needed.

SteveInWA

I'd also point out that, if you are only going to use one (or a couple of) GV accounts, the cheaper OBi 1022 model would be all you really need.  Consider getting the OBi WiFi adapter for phones in locations that don't have hardwired Ethernet available -- it works surprisingly well, allowing you to put a phone wherever you have a power outlet.

azrobert

I think Steve is talking about using speed dials to call other OBi's. When you add your OBi to OBiTalk a speed dial is setup to call that device via the OBiTalk network. The problem with this method is that the OBiTalk network goes down. It's currently down for 2 days. I remember a least 1 other extended outage. It also occasionally has problems preventing you from making these calls.

You can setup extensions with a free Callcentric Freedom account or you can add code to the OBi routing these calls to the IP address of the other devices. Now you don't have to worry about OBiTalk going down. This setup is relatively easy.  I use Raspbx for this function.

See Phonesimon's explanation of why MWI doesn't work with GV. It's near the end of this thread:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29889884-OBi-Message-Waiting-Indicator-MWI-Stutter-Tone-Broken

SteveInWA

No, I am talking about using extensions.  It's a portal feature.  There is no "code" needed.

http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/obilink

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 24, 2015, 09:53:50 AM
No, I am talking about using extensions.  It's a portal feature.  There is no "code" needed.
http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/obilink

I didn't know about this feature, so thank you. Please re-read my post. I didn't say you were suggesting extensions and thought you were suggesting speed dials. I just tried this feature and it just automatically defines a speed dial.

I was suggesting extensions as an alternate method because the OBiTalk network dies occasionally.

SteveInWA

The OP asked about extensions, and I answered yes, without needing to discuss speed dials.

drgeoff

I bought one of the JS-200FX  boxes after reading http://nerdvittles.com/?p=12550.  Don't know if they are still available for the $35 shipped that I paid.

Has 2 ports for analogue phones or DECT base-stations.  Add as many (within reason) other IP phones as you want. I suspect the GV is using the old authorisation method but a small one-off payment to simonics overcomes any issue there.

A nice thing about Asterisk is that it can do time-of-day and day-of-week stuff that Obi devices cannot.

Edit:  I've just had a look at the maker's web site.  It is still showing US$29.99 for refurbished units and there is a firmware update for the new GV authentication.