News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unwanted ringing of 2 phones on Obi 202

Started by smarksjr, August 25, 2015, 07:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smarksjr

Newbie here.  Just set up Obi 202 with following service providers:
SP1 Google Voice
SP2 Ring To (Phone #2)
SP3 Anveo Basic (Phone #1)
SP4 Anveo 911 for Ring To
Have ported over phone numbers #1 and #2 and put on SP3 (Anveo) and SP2 (Ring To)  as above.  Have used ObiTalk to configure SP2 to ring on Phone line #2 and SP3 to ring on Phone line #1.  While incoming calls on SP2 (RingTo) correctly only ring Phone line #2, incoming calls on SP3 (Anveo) ring BOTH Phone #1 AND Phone #2.  Any ideas on how to correct?

LTN1

Quote from: smarksjr on August 25, 2015, 07:25:05 AM
Newbie here.  Just set up Obi 202 with following service providers:
SP1 Google Voice
SP2 Ring To (Phone #2)
SP3 Anveo Basic (Phone #1)
SP4 Anveo 911 for Ring To
Have ported over phone numbers #1 and #2 and put on SP3 (Anveo) and SP2 (Ring To)  as above.  Have used ObiTalk to configure SP2 to ring on Phone line #2 and SP3 to ring on Phone line #1.  While incoming calls on SP2 (RingTo) correctly only ring Phone line #2, incoming calls on SP3 (Anveo) ring BOTH Phone #1 AND Phone #2.  Any ideas on how to correct?

Can you capture a picture of your phone port configuration summary and the SP3 configuration summary? It may help to confirm if you have the proper box unchecked. Attached, is an example of the phone port conf. summary.

smarksjr

Thanks for the reply.  Attached are two screen shots.

smarksjr

Sorry, you may not be able to see the important parts of the screen shot.  Here are two cropped versions with the important data:

azrobert

It looks like the setup wizard is displaying the wrong info. Use OBi Expert to look at the actual configuration values.

Go to:
Voice Services -> SP3 service -> X_InboundCallRoute
Un-check the 2 boxes to the right of the value
The Value should be: ph

LTN1

Quote from: smarksjr on August 25, 2015, 08:33:40 AM
Sorry, you may not be able to see the important parts of the screen shot.  Here are two cropped versions with the important data:

I'll leave you to get the advice from azrobert. Try what he says to a T. He's one of the experts here.

smarksjr

azrobert,  thanks for the suggestion.  I went to Obi Expert for SP3 (Anveo) and the X_InboundCallRoute field (with the ObiTalk box checked) displayed "{ph1}".  When I unchecked the ObiTalk box, the DeviceDefault box became checked (no input from me) and the field displayed "ph,ph2".  I then unchecked the DeviceDefault box, edited the field to read "ph" and clicked on the "submit" button at the bottom of the page and  got the message at the top of the page "Successfully saved OBi Expert config to OBiTALK."  Testing with an inbound call to my "line #1" (SP3/Anveo) still has my two line phone ringing on both lines simultaneously.  Something else to try?  Edit to read "ph1" or "{ph1}"?  Appreciate your help and ideas.

smarksjr

Just tried editing field to "ph1" and "{ph1}" with no change in results.  Substituted a different 2 line phone just to make sure there was not something "strange" happening in the original 2 line handset but no difference -- still both lines ring simultaneously.  TIME TO THINK ABOUT A DEFECTIVE OBI 202 AND INVOLVE OBI TECH SERVICE?

dircom

Try using 2, single line phones for testing

kaniki

you could try editing it like that.. or option number 2.. Log into your obitalk web account online, and when you click on each account, it will give you some check mark boxes. they will say, something like, phone to dial out on, and there will be a check mark box for one and two, and there is also one that says, incoming calls will ring on line one or two. If just one is checked, that account will only ring on line one.. If two, then only two.. and if both, then both will ring.

If you are trying to edit it, for both lines to ring, it should read {ph1,ph2} and if you want to edit it instead of using the web interface on obitalk.com site.. your my account page.. then it should probably read {ph1} or {ph2}.

drgeoff

The OP is using a two-line phone.  Does he understand that the Phone1 socket on a 202 is specially wired to work both lines of a two-line phone (with appropriate cord) plugged into that single socket?  If not and he is somehow connecting his phone to both Phone1 and Phone2 sockets, that could be the cause of his unwanted ringing.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: smarksjr on August 25, 2015, 02:15:04 PM
Testing with an inbound call to my "line #1" (SP3/Anveo) still has my two line phone ringing on both lines simultaneously.  Something else to try?  Edit to read "ph1" or "{ph1}"?  Appreciate your help and ideas.

You could login to the local web interface to confirm the actual setting for each Voice Service:

SPn Service - SPn Service::X_InboundCallRoute = phn ;route inbound to PHn

When there is only one rule, the {} can be omitted.  Otherwise, it's {..},{...},....

The rule on Anveo/SP3 should be ph or ph1.

Possibilities:

o  One DID is ringing more than one voice service account at the service provider.  Not likely in this instance.
o  The OBi is misconfigured or confused.  Reset and reconfigure to flush any nonsense.
o  The OBi is defective.
o  The phone cord wiring is not right.  Note that the OBi202 phone jack1 supports a 4-conductor/2-pair cord for connecting both lines L1+L2 to a 2-line phone.  Phone jack2 is L2 only on pair1.
o  The 2-line phone is somehow translating line1 ringing into line1 and line2 ringing.

Consider each possibility to debug.

OE

smarksjr

OE,

Thanks for the suggestion to go directly to the web interface of the Obi 202 without relying on the ObiTalk interface.  I did so and confirmed that the inbound call routing for the is "ph1"  (I changed it from "ph" and saved the change just to make sure).  Sadly, it did not change the behavior of both lines ringing on an inbound call to line 1.  On the other points:

* I am using only a single 2 line (4 wire) connection from PH1 on the Obi 202 to the Line1/2 input of my 2 line phone -- no "duplicate" connections to the 2nd phone line.

* I have tried a different 2 line handset to eliminate the possibility of a problem in the handset with the same two line ringing result.

I am concluding that the Obi 202 box itself is defective and will move ahead to replace it.  Thanks to you and all for your help.  Scott

drgeoff

Quote from: smarksjr on September 08, 2015, 06:44:50 PM
I am concluding that the Obi 202 box itself is defective and will move ahead to replace it.
I think it is rather unlikely that a defective 202 is causing your problem. I will not be surprised if you come back here and say that a replacement has not effected a cure.   :(

azrobert

Try plugging your 2 line phone into phone port 2.
When you call Anveo does the phone ring?

Plug the phone back into phone port 1.
You have 2 extensions for Anveo.
Does SP4 ring PH2?
Maybe Anveo is ringing both extensions.
Change SP4 X_InboundCallRoute to: {}
Now SP4 won't ring any phone.
Use OBi Expert and not the local interface to make this change.
You need to disable auto provisioning to be able to use the local interface.

smarksjr

azrobert,

Thanks for the tip.  When I plugged my 2 line phone handset into the Obi 202 phone port 2, and called my "line 1" (Anveo, SP3) number, line 1 (only) on the 2 line handset rang.  This means that the Obi was applying ringing voltage to the inner pair of phone port 2 incorrectly.

After changing back to Obi 202 phone port 1, I then tried your tip of using the Obi expert tool and changing SP4 (Anveo 911) X_InboundCallRoute (which had been {ph1,ph2}) to {} as you suggested; this resulted in inbound calls to "line 1" (Anveo, SP3) not ringing at all, but going straight to voicemail.

I then tried changing SP4 X_InboundCallRoute to {ph1}.  This now seems to have Anveo SP3 ringing only on line 1 of my handset and RingTo SP2 ringing only on line 2 of my handset AS THEY SHOULD.  Your "hunch" that Anveo was "commingling" or somehow bridging the settings for their 911 service SP4 (required for RingTo) and their basic service SP3 was correct; the result was having both phone lines ringing when only line 1 was called.

Thanks so much to you and all the others who contributed to solving this problem.