News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does your Obi occasionally spontaneously reboot?

Started by restamp, August 26, 2015, 08:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restamp

This has not posed a problem for me, but when I look at the System Status page on my Obi202 via its built-in webserver, I notice that the device's uptime occasionally has reset itself, i.e., it appears to have spontaneously rebooted.  The power supply is on an UPS and other protected devices are unaffected.  The time between reboots varies from several days to perhaps 15 days or so. The device is registered with obitalk.com, although all auto-provisioning is disabled.  (The ObiTalk service has been left enabled, though.)  Firmware is 4581.

Just curious:  Is it normal for the Obi VoIP ATAs to occasionally reboot on their own?

[ Addendum 30 Sep 2015: this topic is also discussed in the following thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10463 ]

OzarkEdge

I have not noticed my OBi202 rebooting on its own.  Current uptime is 27 days.

It does not use OBiTALK Provisioning or Service.  It and my LAN are on UPSs.  The ISP is solid cable via a solid modem, router, and switch.

An easy first step would be to disable the OBiTALK Service... proprietary stuff is less useful than standards-based stuff, imo.  And their cloud services seem to fall down every week.  So, turn them OFF and see if your OBi is more stable.  It should not be rebooting... not reliable networking behavior.

Also, somewhere in the Admin Guide they claim poor configuration settings can cause rebooting, but I would expect this to happen more immediately, not after days of uptime.  (Or maybe during specific use such as of the dial plan settings.)

Also, a marginal power supply could affect circuit stability.  You should have a backup OBi202 on the shelf, right?, so you could trial its AC adapter... or the whole thing.

OE

restamp

Thanks for the suggestions, OE.  I'm keeping my eyes on it.  Rebooted it manually and so far it has been stable for the past four days. I'll try swapping power bricks if the problem continues.  However, the 202 has never rebooted while in use, and there is no indication of reboot reason (no digit in parens following the uptime value) so the reason for reboot remains a mystery.