News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting Up New Obi202

Started by MurrayB, August 31, 2015, 11:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MurrayB

I decided to take advantage of the Amazon sale to snag an Obi202 to replace two Obi110 at one location. I will keep the two Obi110 as hot spares. Here is where I am:

1. I plugged the unit into my modem where the 110's exist.

2. I added the unit to the dashboard and gave it a screen name and updated the firmware. I did nothing else and logged out.

3. I was able to do the echo test and call the unit via the Obitalk network.

4. I dialed ***1 and obtained the ip address. I entered this into the browser intending to set up the unit locally and it returned The requested URL was not found both in Firefox and Chrome. I access the two Obi110 and other devices no problem.

What silly point am I missing?

Thanks!

kaniki

Did you remember to remove the connection between the 101's before you connected the 202? if not, try removing the association between everything, then try re-associating them. Also, you said that you connected it straight to your modem. Did you try resetting your modem? I know, at times, the cable companies will have a problem with releasing the info from the last item connected to it. If you unplug your cable modem for something like 30 or so seconds, and then plug it back in, this usually clears that info. When I say unplug, I mean the power cord. you do not need to disconnect the internet lines, or anything else. From what you are saying I do not think that this is the problem, but it was worth mentioning.

As for the IP. If you are connected straight to your obi box, and your obi box is connected straight to your modem, go on your computer, check your IP address of your computer. Your computer Ip address is usually the same as your obi box, with the exception of the last number. You computer number will start at about 100, where as your obi box will be 1. For example, my obi202 box will have an Ip of 192.168.10.1 and my computer will be 192.168.10.100 You may have misheard the Ip address and put the wrong one in.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: MurrayB on August 31, 2015, 11:34:35 AM
1. I plugged the unit into my modem where the 110's exist.
2. I added the unit to the dashboard and gave it a screen name and updated the firmware. I did nothing else and logged out.
4. I dialed ***1 and obtained the ip address. I entered this into the browser intending to set up the unit locally and it returned The requested URL was not found both in Firefox and Chrome. I access the two Obi110 and other devices no problem.

What silly point am I missing?

The OBi202 defaults to being a router with WAN/Internet access to the web interface blocked.

o  Connect the OBi Internet jack to your router.
o  Connect your PC to the OBi LAN jack.
o  Browse to default IP address 192.168.10.1 to login admin admin.
o  Set LAN Settings - Lan Settings::OperationMode = Bridge.
o  Submit and reboot.

The OBi is now a 3-port switch.

o  Connect the OBi Internet jack and your PC to your router; the OBi LAN jack is not used.

You can now browse to the IP address your router assigns to the OBi and login admin admin.  If you manage the OBi locally, you must disable remote OBiTALK Provisioning:

o  Auto Provisioning - Auto Firmware Update::Method = Disabled ;prohibit remote access.
o  Auto Provisioning - ITSP Provisioning::Method = Disabled ;prohibit remote access.
o  Auto Provisioning - OBiTalk Provisioning::Method = Disabled ;prohibit remote access.
o  Submit.

OE

MurrayB

OzarkEdge thanks for the learned tidbit. I was sure that I was unaware of something. The Obi202 is accessible and ready to be setup. The first thing that I always do is to disable auto provisioning.

kaniki thank you for your reply as well.

MurrayB

SteveInWA

Quote from: OzarkEdge on August 31, 2015, 01:35:42 PM

The OBi202 defaults to being a router with WAN/Internet access to the web interface blocked.

o  Set LAN Settings - Lan Settings::OperationMode = Bridge.
o  Submit and reboot.

o  Connect the OBi Internet jack and your PC to your router; the OBi LAN jack is not used.

That's inaccurate.

Access to the local web server has nothing to do with configuring the device as a router or a bridge.  The setting is controlled independently.  From P. 41 of the Admin guide:

When the device is operating in router mode (OBi202/OBi302 only), the built-in web server may be accessed from the LAN
side or the WAN side. While access from the LAN side is always allowed, for security reasons, the access from the WAN side
may be disabled by configuration. In fact, the WAN side access to the web server is disabled by default. You can enable this
option on the device web page (from the LAN side), or by using the device configuration IVR (* * * 0 option 30) from an
attached telephone.

The setting is on System Management --> Device Admin --> Web Server [Access from WAN].  Or, IVR option 30, set to "1".

OzarkEdge

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 31, 2015, 03:10:31 PM

o  Set LAN Settings - Lan Settings::OperationMode = Bridge.
o  Submit and reboot.

o  Connect the OBi Internet jack and your PC to your router; the OBi LAN jack is not used.

That's inaccurate.

Access to the local web server has nothing to do with configuring the device as a router or a bridge.  The setting is controlled independently.  From P. 41 of the Admin guide:

What I said is accurate.  An OBi202 defaults to being a router with WAN/Internet access to the web interface blocked.  Blocked meaning disabled.

The OP wants to use his OBi202 in place of his OBi110.  Since an OBi110 is not a router, I told him how to disable router mode *and* gain access to the web interface.

There is no need to enable the OBi's WAN access setting to its web interface since it does not apply in bridge mode.  And I would not recommend this even if the OBi202 remained in router mode.  If the OP chooses to use his OBi202 as his edge router, WAN access to its web interface would remain blocked as by default... and he would learn to access the web interface from the LAN jack.

OE

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 31, 2015, 03:10:31 PM

o  Set LAN Settings - Lan Settings::OperationMode = Bridge.
o  Submit and reboot.

o  Connect the OBi Internet jack and your PC to your router; the OBi LAN jack is not used.

That's inaccurate.
What OE wrote is not inaccurate in any way.  However it is also possible to get access to the web server in router mode by changing a setting as SteveInWA correctly describes.

Whether to operate a 202 in router or bridge mode is up to the user.  I don't have a 202 myself but if I did my first thoughts would be to set it to bridge mode.  That makes the two ethernet jacks 'equal'.  Either one can be connected to the main router and the other I would use for some lower throughput device to recoup the ethernet jack on the main router surrendered to the 202.

SteveInWA

Read the Admin guide.  It's clear as day.  The setting to enable WAN access is separate from it being in Router mode.  OF course you'll be able to access the 202 in bridge mode, but your blanket statement is incorrect.  From an anal compulsive standpoint, you can disable the router, but otherwise, it's just sitting there, doing nothing, as long as you aren't using the LAN port.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 31, 2015, 04:10:53 PM
From an anal compulsive standpoint, you can disable the router, but otherwise, it's just sitting there, doing nothing, as long as you aren't using the LAN port.

Have it your way.

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 31, 2015, 03:16:18 PM
The built-in router in the OBi is too limited in function and performance; I don't recommend using it.

Agreed.  OP should know that the OBi202 throughput is 30Mbps max in router mode and 100Mbps in bridge mode.  Disable router mode.  Ignore the WAN setting for web access; it does not apply in bridge mode.

OE

MurrayB

I did not mean to start an argument. There is only one Obi202 FAQ and this is it. I should have looked there first. Having set up a number of Obi110 I was shocked by not being able to access the device.

I will let it fry overnight and configure it tomorrow. Hopefully, I will have no issues. I will report my success or post another question.

Thanks again!

kaniki

Quote from: MurrayB on August 31, 2015, 04:39:32 PM
I will let it fry overnight

make sure you got some marshmallows.. lol

MurrayB

I set everything up SP1, SP2, and SP3 are all operating properly on Voip.ms as well as both phone ports. However, SP4 is not registering with Voip.ms. I reentered everything, which was copy and paste from Voip.ms or another Obi then tried manually entering server, account, and password. I compared all of the pages with other SP and phone and voice everything is OK. Yes, another Obi is registering that account OK and the new Obi202 is the only one on line.

My inclination is that the unit is defective. One SP down though sounds weird.

Thanks!

OzarkEdge

Quote from: MurrayB on September 01, 2015, 11:21:47 AM

Not likely.

I would keep the old unit offline, off the sub-account.

Perhaps set a new SIP password on the subject sub-account.

And confirm the SP4 Voice Service settings... something like these:

SP4 Service - SP4 Service::Enable = checked ;VoIP.ms pop server sub-account1.
SP4 Service - SP4 Service::X_ServProvProfile = A ;or B, C, or D.
SP4 Service - SP4 Service::X_InboundCallRoute = ph1 ;route inbound to PH1
SP4 Service - SP4 Service::X_NoRegNoCall = checked ;speed up trunk group failover.
SP4 Service - SP4 Service::X_KeepAliveEnable = checked ;keep-alive router NAT session to allow a longer registration period.
SP4 Service - SP4 Service::X_KeepAliveExpires = 15 ;default seconds keep-alive period.
SP4 Service - SP4 Service::X_UserAgentPort = 6xxx4 ;move port to obscure it.
SP4 Service - SIP Credentials::AuthUserName = sub-account4 ID
SP4 Service - SIP Credentials::AuthPassword = sub-account4 password
SP4 Service - SIP Credentials::X_EnforceRequestUserID = checked ;prohibit anonymous SIP.
SP4 Service - Calling Features::CallerIDName = callerID name ;outbound CallerID name.
SP4 Service - Calling Features::MWIEnable = Enabled ;stutter tone message waiting indication on PH1.
SP4 Service - Calling Features::X_VMWIEnable = Enabled ;visual message waiting indication on PH1.
Submit
Reboot

What is the OBi status message for the failed registration?

OE

drgeoff

Quote from: MurrayB on September 01, 2015, 11:21:47 AM
There is no different hardware employed for registering the individual SPs. And a software fault causing only one SP to fail to register is rather unlikely too.

If you are in doubt try swapping the non-registering account with one that is registering. Put the problem account on SP1 and put on SP4 the account that was on SP1.

MurrayB

Thanks drgeoff - I just defaulted SP4 and reentered the values. I thought that I would try that before moving around the SPs. This is what the status shows:

SP4 Service Status
Parameter Name   Value   
Status   Register Failed: 403 Forbidden

Any comments before I move the SPs around?

Thanks!

MurrayB

Well I figured it out and I am embarrassed. I changed the password slightly for this sub account. It is now registered.

Thanks to all!!

MurrayB