News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Hacked??? Never know now adays

Started by Waterstone, September 01, 2015, 06:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterstone

Was there once some information on how people take control of your device by calling once and then detecting you are using OBI and taking control.?

All three of my numbers were called today, one ring, when I called back by cell phone, all numbers do not exist.   Its strange,, all of my phones were called... 2 cell phones, and 3 ring.to numbers... all by two different non existent numbers....

If this is the case.. what do I do to ward this off..... or correct...

Thank you

OzarkEdge

I've collected some OBi security considerations in my notes under Obi202/Overview/Security.

Check your call logs... maybe someone familiar simply called all of your numbers and spoofed their own CallerID number.  Your cell numbers are not associated with your OBi, yes?

OE

Waterstone

Correct... cell's are not part of OBI or Ring.to....just seemed very strange....
Hate to say it.... my friends are not into tech as much and do not dare venture into this VOIP opportunity.
Thank you for the reply.... 
In all honesty... I do not even know how to "spoof" my caller ID.. but will give me something to look up...

OzarkEdge

Quote from: Waterstone on September 01, 2015, 06:28:19 AM
I do not even know how to "spoof" my caller ID.. but will give me something to look up...

Some providers allow setting the number in their voice service account settings.  More common.

Some providers accept your number set and passed from your device, where configurable.  Less common.

When spoofing is possible, always be sure your correct e911-enabled DID is being passed to ensure working 911 service.

OE

Waterstone

OE,  can you tell me how to verify the e911 is working....

OzarkEdge

Quote from: Waterstone on September 01, 2015, 09:01:54 AM
OE,  can you tell me how to verify the e911 is working....

Your OBi dial plan should map 911 and route it to your 911 provider trunk.  It's possible to disconnect your OBi from your router and quickly dial 911 before your OBi detects no network.  Then your OBi Call History should show a failed call to 911 on the correct trunk.  This confirms the OBi routes 911 correctly.

If your 911 provider has a test number and your dial plan maps and routes it to your provider, dial the test number (such as 933) to get a 911-enabled confirmation response from your provider.

Finally, dial 911 and announce that your have new service and wanted to test 911.  I have not dared to do this!

OE

LTN1

Doing a test through your provider (if they have one like dialing 933) is the safest way absent dialing 911.

If, however, you want to brave the call to 911, don't hang up when the 911 operator picks up. Just tell him/her that you accidentally dialed 911 as a preset speed dial and didn't want to hang up without telling him/her that it was an accident.

Without telling the 911 operator that the call wasn't intentional, they'll likely try to call you back to see if you had a problem. And...if they can't get a hold of you (like me one day when I was testing my PBX), they could send a patrol car to check up on you. The reason for this is because they don't know if you had a medical issue (or criminal issue) that left you unconscious after dialing 911.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: LTN1 on September 01, 2015, 10:06:07 AM
Doing a test through your provider (if they have one like dialing 933) is the safest way absent dialing 911.

If, however, you want to brave the call to 911, don't hang up when the 911 operator picks up. Just tell him/her that you accidentally dialed 911 as a preset speed dial and didn't want to hang up without telling him/her that it was an accident.

Without telling the 911 operator that the call wasn't intentional, they'll likely try to call you back to see if you had a problem. And...if they can't get a hold of you (like me one day when I was testing my PBX), they could send a patrol car to check up on you. The reason for this is because they don't know if you had a medical issue (or criminal issue) that left you unconscious after dialing 911.

Good advice!

OE

Rick

Call non-emergency number.  Tell dispatcher you would like to test your 911 setup.  Call 911, say "This is not an emergency,  I am testing my phone setup.  Please verify my address and contact info."

Note some 911 service uses a special number they assign to your 911 call that you may not recognize,  but allows the 911 operator to call you back. .