News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

setting up my obi

Started by robby, June 15, 2011, 04:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robby

Im a tech dummy, so keep that in mind...
I set up obi with a wireless router and had it working. However the router has issues and so ive decided I want to stick with a hardline and not use a wireless router in this whole setup. So now where do I plug in my obi? My cable modem box has no where to plug it in. What do I need to add to make room to plug in the obi? would getting a different cable modem box that has more input thingies work? Is something like that called a "gateway"? Solutions?

RonR

Cable modems only have one LAN connection.  You still need a router to turn the one Ethernet connection from the cable modem into multiple Ethernet connections (typically 4 wired connections, with or without additional wireless capabilities).

Didn't your wireless router also have wired ports?  You can turn off the wireless portion of a wireless router and continue to use the Ethernet ports.

robby

So to turn off the wireless portion of the router....any idea on where and how to do that?
Right now my router actually is working again. I moved its location away from the tv and stereo and all those wires, into the computer room where it hasnt lost connection yet. Lets see if that was the problem. Kind of defeats the purpose of using the wireless router though, when I have it sitting next to my computer and have to run the hardline from my living room internet modem into the computer room, lol.

RonR

Quote from: robby on June 16, 2011, 11:40:42 AM
So to turn off the wireless portion of the router....any idea on where and how to do that?

You'd have to consult the manual for your particular router for information on how to configure it.

Maybe you've found a solution and you can continue using its wireless capability.

robby

So I ended up finding how to disable the router and was just running the internet hardline into and through the router into the pc modem. It worked that way for a day and a half. Then for no reason no longer connecting. Why would it be working on hardline fine and then not? The internet service itself is working fine, as when I bypass the router now and plug directly into the pc modem, I get connection. This is enough to drive a sane person....crazy