News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to delete Service Provider locally

Started by Rolo, September 21, 2015, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolo

Good day.

(My first post.)

Last week I bought a brand new, unopened OBi200 from NewEgg for $30.00 (with free shipping).

Registered with ObiTalk and configured four accounts (GV, RingTo, Anveo RingTo E911, and CC for a dedicated outgoing fax).  Disabled OT locally after backing-up the configuration locally.

Would like to delete the RingTo account, but can't find a way to do it locally as it can be done on the OT portal.  I suppose that if all settings for the account were reset to "default" it would accomplish the same thing.  However, (I presume) there has to be a way to elete the account locally.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

--
Rolo

SteveInWA

Mmmm, Rolo

There is no good reason to disable OBiTALK portal management.  Just enable it again, and delete your unwanted SP configuration...takes less than 5 minutes.

azrobert

If you want to configure your OBi locally, the only way I know is to set each parm to default. You could temporarily switch back to OBiTalk and delete the trunk. If you made changes via local interface and the OBi is out of sync with OBiTalk, you can import a backup into OBiTalk to re-sync the two.

You don't need to disable OBiTalk to configure locally, just turn off auto provisioning.

System Management -> Auto Provisioning
Under OBiTalk Provisioning
Method: Disabled

You can disable Auto Firmware Update the same way.

Rolo

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 21, 2015, 02:39:27 PM
Mmmm, Rolo

There is no good reason to disable OBiTALK portal management.  Just enable it again, and delete your unwanted SP configuration...takes less than 5 minutes.

Good day and thank you, Steve.

I wasn't asking for knee-jerk reactions about whether or not ObiTalk should be disabled.  There are many reasons why one would, but I do not wish to start a religious war about privacy, etc.

My question was of a technical nature and I was hoping for a technical reply.

Thanks all the same.
--
Rolo

Rolo

Quote from: azrobert on September 21, 2015, 03:10:01 PM
If you want to configure your OBi locally, the only way I know is to set each parm to default.  . . . <snip> . . .

Thank you, azrobert.  As I said in my original post, that's what I suspicioned.

You don't need to disable OBiTalk to configure locally, just turn off auto provisioning.

System Management -> Auto Provisioning
Under OBiTalk Provisioning
Method: Disabled

You can disable Auto Firmware Update the same way.

In my case, I have no need to keep it enabled.  I'm used to configuring accounts myself on Yealink phones and Grandstream adapters.  OBi's configuration is a little, but not radically, different than theirs.

Thank you again.
--
Rolo

SteveInWA

Quote from: Rolo on September 22, 2015, 04:01:38 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on September 21, 2015, 02:39:27 PM
Mmmm, Rolo

Good day and thank you, Steve.

I wasn't asking for knee-jerk reactions about whether or not ObiTalk should be disabled.  There are many reasons why one would, but I do not wish to start a religious war about privacy, etc.

My question was of a technical nature and I was hoping for a technical reply.

Thanks all the same.

The technical reply is:  no, there is no "delete this service provider" button in the local interface.   

OBi devices are designed to simplify the management of service provider configuration either by end users via the OBiTALK portal, or by service providers or enterprise users via configuration servers and XML files.  The legacy local interface is there for making changes, one parameter at a time, similar to the old Sipura/Linksys/Cisco PAP/SPA products*.  In those products, the only way to remove the configuration would have been to either factory reset it, or to change individual parameters, as Robert described.

*Jan Fandrianto and Sam Sin invented the ATA at Komodo, then founded Sipura, and then founded Obihai.

http://voxilla.com/2012/03/02/company-spotlight-obihai-technology-reinventing-voip-a-third-time/

Rolo

Good day and thank you for the explanation, Steve!

Meaning no disrespect to you or anyone who may think like you, I disagree, not about your technical answer, but about how I'm supposed to use the device.

Just because I spent thirty bucks for a OBi200 doesn't mean that I have to drink OBiHai's corporate Kool Aid nor subscribe to a cult of personality for its founders.

The OBi200 is now mine to use in any way I want, as long as I don't violate any applicable law.  The OBi200 doesn't tell me what to do, I configure it to do what I want it to do.
--
Rolo

LTN1

Quote from: Rolo on September 23, 2015, 05:41:34 AM
The OBi200 is now mine to use in any way I want, as long as I don't violate any applicable law.  The OBi200 doesn't tell me what to do, I configure it to do what I want it to do.

Let me provide some background music as you say this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2hYDIFDIU

drgeoff

@Rolo
If you ever find yourself in the role of tech support person for an OBi at a distant location,  you may come to appreciate the option of using the Obitalk portal to manage it.