News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can someone help me set up, please?

Started by theNOTSOwiz, June 16, 2011, 09:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theNOTSOwiz

I've been trying to set this up since yesterday, with not great (bad) results. Ultimately, I followed the wizard and it did not work. The firmware on my Obi100 is up to date. My SIP is Callcentric. My router is Linksys WRT160n v3.

Like I've said, I've done the wizard, worked with support from Callcentric almost all day yesterday and this morning and no luck. I sent a support request to Obi yesterday and have not heard back.

I can get a dial tone. If I make a call, the phone does not ring, about 40 seconds later I get a message from a guy saying, "The number you dialed 17771234567 has not received a response from the service provider". What am I doing wrong? Can someone help me, please? I searched the forums but was unable to find something that helped me. I may not have searched correctly. Any help is appreciated. Right now I have a softphone on the computer (SJ) until I can get my regular phone working. It's not great as it occasionally stutters.

Thanks in advance!

RonR

Reset the OBi to factory defaults at:

System Management -> Device Update -> Reset Configuration -> Reset

Then set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> ProxyServer : (Callcentric Proxy Server)

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Callcentric Username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Callcentric Password)

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Remember to press Submit at the bottom of each page after making changes on that page.

When all changes have been completed, press Reboot in the upper right corner of the screen.

theNOTSOwiz

Thanks.

I did everything you said, including the reset. I am still getting the same message. Is it possible I bought a dud? What should I try next?

RonR

Can you reach the Echo Test by dialing?: **9 222 222 222

theNOTSOwiz

Just tried it and yes, I can do that (was pretty cool).

RonR

Is SP1 Service Status showing something similar to:

Registered (server=?.?.?.?:5060; expire in 1425s)

theNOTSOwiz

This is what I see:

Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=removed:5060; retry in 11s)

I removed that part because I wasn't sure if it was one of the no-no's of the internet to post it. Let me know if you need it.

RonR

Temporarily connect the OBi directly to your modem, bypassing your router:

Power both units off before making the connection.
Power up your modem and wait for it to sync.
Power up the OBi.
Verify that you can still reach **9 222 222 222.
Try a Callcentric call.

theNOTSOwiz

I'm sure I hooked it up correctly, I hooked it up directly to the modem. I also banged my knee on the tv stand. Ouch.

The green power light just kept flashing, it did not connect. When I dialed the number the duh duh duh sound came up immediately with a message that "There is no something to your something". I apologize, I've already forgotten the phrase, if you need it, I can redo everything.

I connected it back the old way in order to reply to this message and the light is steady again.

RonR

Is your modem DSL and your router doing PPPoE?  If so, the direct connection I suggested wouldn't work.  If it's a cable modem or DSL with DHCP, it should have worked.  No biggie.

Are you sure you're using the correct hostname or IP address for the Callcentric Proxy Server and you have entrered the username/password correctly?

Another user successfully got Callcentric working just yesterday using these settings.

theNOTSOwiz

I checked the router settings (I have cable internet)and it is DHCP.

What about the flashing power light? Did I not give it enough time? It usually takes 30 seconds or so, that's what I was banking on.

I've double checked the IP address, the proxy server and my username is my callcentric number. I copied it straight from the callcentric website. I've done all that.

Man, this is all very discouraging.  :'(

RonR

The OBi should work connected directly to a cable modem.  The only important part is power cycling the cable modem after the connection to a new device is made.

The fact that **9 222 222 222 works says the OBi can talk over the Internet to the OBiTALK server.  Generally, SIP providers shouldn't be a problem if you're getting that far.

If your router has any ALG support, turn it off.

You could also try forwarding ports 5060 - 5061 to your OBi, but that really shouldn't be necessary.  Routers can be funny, though, which is why I was hoping to bypass it to eliminate it as a possible culprit.

theNOTSOwiz

I will try it again. Maybe I didn't do it correctly.

RonR

BTW, have you terminated the softphone running on your PC while you're working with the OBi?  Some SIP providers allow multiple simultaneous registrations per account, others do not.

theNOTSOwiz

An update, I redid your bypass and was able to make a call. The first time, I turned off the modem but did not power cycle it (I know, I know, should have known better!). But at least it did work that way. Now what?

I don't know what ALG support it, but I was unable to find it in my router config. Do you still recommend port forwarding? I'll have to do a search on how to do that to make sure I do it right.

The softphone has been disabled, with the same results as before.

RonR

If the OBi can register and make calls through Callcentric with the router bypassed but not with the router in the loop, that seems to point the finger at the router.

If your router has ALG support, you'd probably see a setting for it, in which case disable it.

You could try port forwarding:

SIP : 5060 - 5061 -> OBi
RTP : 16660 - 16998 -> OBi

theNOTSOwiz

Sorry I missed this earlier. I kept refreshing my email for a reply, but didn't think to refresh the boards (got some cleaning done though!).

I am on my way out of the door now but I will try to update the port forwarding when I am done finding out how to do that!

Thanks so much for your help, if I haven't said so before.

theNOTSOwiz

Just wanted to update you. After searching online and finding nothing good about my router, I decided to try my hands at changing the firmware. I know it's not recommended for everybody (my first try a few months ago didn't work). This go around, I was about to update it in a few minutes. I didn't even have to change anything to get it to work with the Obi (it just showed up).

Anyway, I wanted to thank you for help and figuring out that it was a router problem, my WRT160n. The firmware is now changed to DD-wrt. Sooooo much easier.

And lastly, thanks again. I really did appreciate the help and attention received. Above and beyond!

RonR

Quote from: theNOTSOwiz on June 16, 2011, 07:12:33 PM
Anyway, I wanted to thank you for help and figuring out that it was a router problem, my WRT160n. The firmware is now changed to DD-wrt. Sooooo much easier.

You've made an excellent choice switching to DD-wrt.  I'm glad to hear it solved your problem.