News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Answering Machine Won't Pickup Calls After 4 Rings

Started by ForumForObi, August 22, 2018, 12:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumForObi

I have my answering machine setup to pickup the phone after 4 rings (20 seconds) for many years without any problem for OBi 200.  Recently, there is problem:
I, standing next the answering machine, do hear the answering machine making announcement after 4 rings, but the call is not picked by my answering machine. The caller will hear the 5th ring and go directly to the Google Voicemail.

Strangely, if I setup the answering machine to pickup call after 2 rings (10 seconds), the answering machine will pick up the call as it used to.

I am very certain this Obi 200, not my answering machine, is the problem because I've tried the same answering machine on another OBi200 without any issue.

The firmware of my problematic OBi 200 is 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). The firmware of my other good OBi is 3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX).  I did try to downgrade the firmware manually, but got "Checksum error".

By the way, I also have Anveo E911 setup on SP2 of the problematic OBi200.

A_Friend

Quote from: ForumForObi on August 22, 2018, 12:59:24 PM
I have my answering machine setup to pickup the phone after 4 rings (20 seconds) for many years without any problem for OBi 200.  Recently, there is problem:
I, standing next the answering machine, do hear the answering machine making announcement after 4 rings, but the call is not picked by my answering machine. The caller will hear the 5th ring and go directly to the Google Voicemail.

Strangely, if I setup the answering machine to pickup call after 2 rings (10 seconds), the answering machine will pick up the call as it used to.

I am very certain this Obi 200, not my answering machine, is the problem because I've tried the same answering machine on another OBi200 without any issue.

The firmware of my problematic OBi 200 is 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). The firmware of my other good OBi is 3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX).  I did try to downgrade the firmware manually, but got "Checksum error".

By the way, I also have Anveo E911 setup on SP2 of the problematic OBi200.

Does your answering machine offer you any advantages over just using Google Voice voicemail?  Because if it doesn't, there's your easy solution right there.

I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it has anything to do with the Obi200.  Sounds more like Google Voice is grabbing the call and routing it to voicemail just as your answering machine is ready to pick up.  That it would give one more ringback tone doesn't mean much.  Ring and ringback aren't always in sync.  Plus, google's voicemail system might need another few seconds to kick in, so you might get another "ring."

As for your 3.2.1 build 5757ex Obi, Google Voice doesn't work on that anymore, does it?  So, I'm trying to understand how the comparison is valid.

azrobert

Does your answering machine work correctly when set to 3 rings?
If it does, I suspect your OBi200 ringing is being delayed for some reason.

Try this:
Set it back to 4 rings.
4 rings will take 20 seconds (4 rings @ 2 seconds and 3 pauses @ 4 seconds)
I'm going to reduce the pauses to 3.8 seconds, so now 4 rings takes 19.4 seconds.
Hopefully, now your answering machine will pick up before GV.

You need to use OBi Expert for the following.
I'm assuming GV is defined on SP1, you are using Ring Profile A and Ring Pattern 1.

Voice Service -> SP1 Service
X_RingProfile: A
X_DefaultRing: 1

Go To
Ring Settings -> Ring Profile A -> Ring Pattern1
RingPattern: 60;(2+4)

Change RingPattern to: 60;(2+3.8)

Soulcommander

I had this same problem when google voice did updates a while back so tell me what does 3+2 actually mean? Just curious.... I reduced my answering machine to pick up quicker but of course now I have to run to the damn phone.

drgeoff

A_Friend

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 23, 2018, 05:08:13 PM
I had this same problem when google voice did updates a while back so tell me what does 3+2 actually mean? Just curious.... I reduced my answering machine to pick up quicker but of course now I have to run to the damn phone.

I'm not sure if it came across, but drgeoff azrobert was typing 60;(2+3.8).  Unfortunately, the last part of it got turned into a smiley because he didn't click on "Don't use smileys" in the Additional Options dialog at the end of the message.

As he explained, that's the coding for 2 seconds for a ring and 3.8 seconds for silence between rings, only SLIGHTLY shorter than the normal 4 seconds.  Altogether this shaves off 6/10ths of a second from the pickup time for your answering machine.

Can I repeat my question to you -- why do you need the answering machine at all, what does it do that Google's voicemail doesn't?  Maybe I'm biased because I always have a laptop online, but I never bother with my machine anymore.  

drgeoff

@A_Friend

That's the second time in only a few hours that you have attributed azrobert's writings to me.

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on August 23, 2018, 11:52:02 PM
@A_Friend

That's the second time in only a few hours that you have attributed azrobert's writings to me.

Oops...  Yes, that's more than a bit disconcerting.  Please accept my apologies, to all concerned.  I've made the corrections.  

Thank you.

ForumForObi

Changing the RingPattern to 60;(2+3.8) as suggested by azrobert solved my problem.
Thanks a lot.

Answering A_Friend's question: Answering machine has a message alert, whereas Google Voicemail cannot notify me of incoming message till I checking my computer or smartphone.