News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice & OBi200: Custom greeting issue

Started by DMVer, October 03, 2015, 04:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMVer

Google Voice & OBi200: I use these two to set up my home number. I have also created my own Google Voice greeting (see attached file), this greeting applies to all the Groups & Circles. The phone works perfectly except google voice custom greeting, every time when I call home number from my cell phone, the custom greeting does not pop up, instead, a greeting pops up, but that greeting is NOT google voice system default greeting either.

Anyone knows how I can set things up correctly? So that when people call my home number and they will hear my custom greeting?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

You said that you hear a different greeting when you call from your Google Voice number from your cell phone.  Is your cell phone listed as a forwarding phone on this page? 

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

What greeting is playing, exactly?  Is it one that you recorded yourself?  Is it somebody else's voice? 

What happens when somebody else calls your GV phone number, not from your cell phone, but some other phone number not on your forwarding phones list?

DMVer

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 03, 2015, 04:37:33 PM
You said that you hear a different greeting when you call from your Google Voice number from your cell phone.  Is your cell phone listed as a forwarding phone on this page? 

What greeting is playing, exactly?  Is it one that you recorded yourself?  Is it somebody else's voice? 

What happens when somebody else calls your GV phone number, not from your cell phone, but some other phone number not on your forwarding phones list?

I don't think you get what I mean. Let me be specific:

I use google voice and OBi200 to set up my home number, and in google voice account (attached in the first post), my greeting message is "I am currently unable to answer your call, please leave your name, number and a brief message, I will return your call as soon as possible. Thank you".

So when people call my home number, I should expect them to hear my custom greeting message stored in google voice account.

But instead, here is the test result:
When I use my cell phone to call my home phone number, I did NOT hear the stored GV greeting message. Only a few seconds after ring, my home phone pops up the message "Call from (1+area code+phone number, which is my 11 digits cellphone number). Let me be very clear at this point, this message comes from my home phone, if some other people call my home phone, they will NOT hear this message, only people standing next to my home phone can hear this message. At the end of the message, my cellphone pops up the greeting message "Hello, we are not available, please leave your name and phone number after the beep. We will return your call." This greeting message can be heard by the person who call my home number. And this message is not recorded live human message, it is something like system greeting message. Where does it come from? I don't know, not even in google voice account. So the only thing I can think of is OBi200 setting. Obi200 and google voice are the only two things used to set up my home phone number.

Look at attached file, google also has a System Standard "Google ... you have called is not available, please leave a message after the tone..". Google voice default greeting message is different, and google default greeting is NOT used anyway. I used my own custom greeting message.

I hope I have explained it clearly by using the example.

DMVer

It is about my home phone, NOT my cellphone. If you use your phone (no matter your cellphone or your home phone, it does not matter if it has google number, as long as the phone can be used to make a call) to call my HOME PHONE, you will hear "Hello, we are not available, please leave your name and phone number after the beep. We will return your call".

My cellphone has nothing to do with this google voice number. I did NOT link my cellphone to this google voice number. So if people call my home number (google voice number), only my home phone can ring, my cellphone will NOT ring. My cellphone number simply does NOT show anywhere in this google voice's account. ZERO relationship.

Also, my HOME PHONE does not have service from cable company, that means I don't really have a regular phone number. It is set up through google voice number and OBi200.

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 03, 2015, 04:37:33 PM

SteveInWA

Well, I do understand exactly how Google Voice works.  Google Voice will play the greeting that you recorded, or it will play the system greeting.  It has no way to play some other greeting.  You may be hearing a greeting that you recorded on a home answering machine, which is grabbing the call before Google Voice can do so, at approximately 25 seconds after connection.

Furthermore, I asked about your cell phone because Google Voice determines which greeting to play, or not play, based on the caller ID of the calling party, and it handles forwarding phone numbers differently.  You would have had to add at least one forwarding number when you set up GV, which runs counter to your description.

Only a few seconds after ring, my home phone pops up the message "Call from (1+area code+phone number, which is my 11 digits cellphone number). Let me be very clear at this point, this message comes from my home phone, if some other people call my home phone, they will NOT hear this message, only people standing next to home phone can hear this message. At the end of the message, my cellphone pops up the greeting message "Hello, we are not able available, please leave your name and phone number after the beep. We will return your call." This greeting message can be heard by the person who call my home number. And this message is not recorded live human message, it is something like system message.

No, this doesn't make anything clearer, and in fact, is even more unclear.  What does "pops up" mean?  Do you mean that the person answering the phone plugged into the OBi hears that message?  If so, that's a Google Voice feature known as call screening, which can be turned on or off as you wish.

What do you mean by "people standing next to home phone"?  What does "home phone" mean?  You have a Google Voice telephone number.  You have an OBi device, which should be configured to ring when that GV number is called.  You have a telephone plugged into that OBi.  That telephone is the home phone.  IF that telephone has an answering machine feature, turn it off.

Taoman

Quote from: DMVer on October 03, 2015, 05:07:18 PM
It is about my home phone, NOT my cellphone.

Yeah, we get it. So far you have only mentioned calling your GV number from your cell phone. Have you tried calling your GV number from ANY other number?  If so, were the results the same?

Does the cell phone number you are calling from have a Google Voice contact associated with it?

DMVer

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 03, 2015, 05:29:29 PM
Well, I do understand exactly how Google Voice works.  Google Voice will play the greeting that you recorded, or it will play the system greeting.  It has no way to play some other greeting.  You may be hearing a greeting that you recorded on a home answering machine, which is grabbing the call before Google Voice can do so, at approximately 25 seconds after connection.

Furthermore, I asked about your cell phone because Google Voice determines which greeting to play, or not play, based on the caller ID of the calling party, and it handles forwarding phone numbers differently.  You would have had to add at least one forwarding number when you set up GV, which runs counter to your description.
//Yes, but after setting up, people can remove the number, and forward it to Google Chat

Only a few seconds after ring, my home phone pops up the message "Call from (1+area code+phone number, which is my 11 digits cellphone number). Let me be very clear at this point, this message comes from my home phone, if some other people call my home phone, they will NOT hear this message, only people standing next to home phone can hear this message. At the end of the message, my cellphone pops up the greeting message "Hello, we are not able available, please leave your name and phone number after the beep. We will return your call." This greeting message can be heard by the person who call my home number. And this message is not recorded live human message, it is something like system message.

No, this doesn't make anything clearer, and in fact, is even more unclear.  What does "pops up" mean?  Do you mean that the person answering the phone plugged into the OBi hears that message?  If so, that's a Google Voice feature known as call screening, which can be turned on or off as you wish.

//Sorry about my language, English is my second language, maybe I can just say it plainly. What I mean "pop up" is: people can hear the greeting message on their phone, people means the person who call my home phone number.

What do you mean by "people standing next to home phone"?  What does "home phone" mean?  You have a Google Voice telephone number.  You have an OBi device, which should be configured to ring when that GV number is called.  You have a telephone plugged into that OBi.  That telephone is the home phone.  IF that telephone has an answering machine feature, turn it off.

//Home Phone means a phone stays at home, NOT like a mobile cellphone, it can NOT move too far away from OBi device, and OBi device cannot stay too far away from WiFi.  I do NOT have any number linked to google voice account. I mentioned it earlier, please also refer to attached file in this post.

Here is the link of "Home Phone" example: http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/cordless-corded-telephones/cordless-telephones/KX-TG6572R.html?sc_mc=sem_google-pla_cov_home-phones_pla_product&kpid=KX-TG6572R

DMVer

Quote from: Taoman on October 03, 2015, 05:37:26 PM
Quote from: DMVer on October 03, 2015, 05:07:18 PM
It is about my home phone, NOT my cellphone.

Yeah, we get it. So far you have only mentioned calling your GV number from your cell phone. Have you tried calling your GV number from ANY other number?  If so, were the results the same?

Does the cell phone number you are calling from have a Google Voice contact associated with it?

A while ago, maybe couples of weeks ago, Yes, asked a friend to test my home phone google number, same result.

However, I also try to test from the following website, it is same result as using my cellphone.

http://ievaphone.com/

SteveInWA

Yes, I guessed that English was your second language, thanks for making that clear.  Let's take this one step at at a time.

Your Panasonic telephone has a feature that "speaks" the caller ID of the telephone number that is calling you.  You can turn that on or off if you like.  That feature is in your telephone, not part of Google Voice or OBi.  That is what you are hearing when you stand near the phone.

DMVer

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 03, 2015, 05:48:30 PM
Yes, I guessed that English was your second language, thanks for making that clear.  Let's take this one step at at a time.

Your Panasonic telephone has a feature that "speaks" the caller ID of the telephone number that is calling you.  You can turn that on or off if you like.  That feature is in your telephone, not part of Google Voice or OBi.  That is what you are hearing when you stand near the phone.

After the whole long conversation, it is about "home phone" itself's setting??? Originally, I thought it is just a hardware device coming with no setting. I thought all the settings are in google voice website and OBiTalk website.

Thanks, let me figure out how to change "home phone" setting.

DMVer

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 03, 2015, 05:48:30 PM

Thanks, after searching the manual online, finally solve the problem.

Thank you so much!

SteveInWA

Yay!

Enjoy your OBi and your nice Panasonic DECT phone.