News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting X_InboundCallRoute to block direct calls to forwarding number on Obi200

Started by wpaobi200, October 07, 2015, 05:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpaobi200

Ok, I think figured it out. I confounded myself by having varying GV settings for the cell phone number I was using to test.  Apologies for believing that "callee" could vary in this situation; there wouldn't actually be a mechanism for preserving the value across forwards, would there?

The original problem remains, but I guess without a solution--assuming you're not willing to give up CID.

wpaobi200

At risk of stepping in it again, might I speculate that we actually have the hardware to handle this blocking, but probably not the software/firmware? With the GV forwarding as described, we disable forwarding to Google Chat because we're forwarding to the CallCentric DID number on the same device. But, if we enabled this Chat forwarding then wouldn't we be receiving the same call on two SPs? And if this condition could be detected then that would differentiate from the case where the call comes in only on the CallCentric SP. The reality of having slightly different timing on the two SP calls would make things a little messy, but an exercise in speculation isn't necessarily meant to be practical.

Taoman

Quote from: wpaobi200 on October 08, 2015, 06:44:49 PM
But, if we enabled this Chat forwarding then wouldn't we be receiving the same call on two SIPs? And if this condition could be detected then that would differentiate from the case where the call comes in only on the CallCentric SIP.

An interesting idea and one that I'm sure would be technically possible.

I'm all for being proactive but I would suggest you are trying to solve a problem where none exists. I'm with SteveInWa on this one. I've had my free CC DID for years and in all that time I've had exactly 2 numbers that called my CC DID directly more than once. So I made a block list on the OBi and the problem was easily and quickly solved.

It is also easy to do on Callcentric's superb web portal with call logs, phone book, groups, and call treatments. Once you've made your group and call treatment it is just a few mouse clicks to add a "junk caller" from your call history to your phone book and then add the record to your junk callers group. Done.

As an aside, just to be on the same page regarding jargon you're not really receiving the same call on "two SIPs." SIP is a VoIP signalling protocol. On the OBi you would be receiving the same call on two SP (service provider) trunks. The Callcentric trunk uses SIP as its signalling protocol. The Google Voice trunk uses XMPP as its signalling protocol.

wpaobi200

Quote from: Taoman on October 08, 2015, 07:42:19 PM
As an aside, just to be on the same page regarding jargon you're not really receiving the same call on "two SIPs." SIP is a VoIP signalling protocol. On the OBi you would be receiving the same call on two SP (service provider) trunks. The Callcentric trunk uses SIP as its signalling protocol. The Google Voice trunk uses XMPP as its signalling protocol.

Thanks for the correction, Taoman. Obviously a newbie here; not sure why the fingers typed "SIP" given that I was seeing "SP" every time I fiddled with the settings. In any case, I edited the offending posts.