December 15, 2017, 05:58:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  
Author Topic: Number porting to GV - my experience  (Read 3741171 times)
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #360 on: November 06, 2017, 10:42:54 am »

You cannot port a number into a prepaid mobile service, followed by porting it into Google Voice, unless you insert the SIM into a cell phone and make it usable by adding some calling credit.  You must be able to receive text messages on the phone to complete the port into Google Voice.

Buy only a SIM from the prepaid divisions of AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile.  Do not use a SIM from H20, Lycamobile, MintSIM, UltraMobile, Consumer Cellular, or any other MVNO seller.  Those companies are incompetent at porting.

JMV88

« Reply #361 on: November 08, 2017, 05:23:34 pm »

Thank you Steve. Much appreciated.
X-15

« Reply #362 on: November 28, 2017, 08:12:00 pm »

I picked up an Obihai box after doing a sanity check with the Google Voice porting tool using my landline number (according to Obihai's port tutorial). I had an old Nexus 5x available to me from another family member to use to port the number over to Fi, which was finally successfully completed after a few phone calls to my old landline provider. However, despite the message I initially got from the Google Voice porting tool ("Ooops! We currently don't support porting from your carrier."), it turns out that I cannot port my number to Google Voice.  The option to port out to Google Voice on the Fi cancellation page is grayed out, and in the Google Voice porting tool, I get "Sorry. Your mobile number can not be ported at this time." This is after waiting for well over a week for any carrier database updates to propagate. So apparently, relying on the messages from the Google Voice porting tool when checking landlines is not the most reliable way to determine if a number can be ported to Google Voice.
JMV88

« Reply #363 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:33 pm »

All I have to say is T-Mobile's customer service is beyond horrible. I started the porting process on or about Nov. 20th, 2017. It is now Dec. 13th, 2017 and they are still having problems. The carrier I am porting from (Spectrum) has authorized the porting. So the issue is not with them. It has been a slew of errors on T-Mobile's end, including entering my Spectrum account number incorrectly twice, entering a wrong service address, etc...I am currently sitting on hold once again for the past hour as I type this post. Someone comes on about every 20 minutes to say they are looking into it? Now I was just hung up on as I was waiting for a supervisor. Not the 1st time that has happened, btw. All this is compounded by that their support is all handled in India by support staff who are extremely polite and friendly,  but communicate in very broken English and seem quite confused. I don't know what else to try except to keep at it???

SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #364 on: December 13, 2017, 04:10:10 pm »

That's unusual, given that thousands of people have ported in from T-Mobile with little difficulty.  Personally, I can't blame them for trying to cut costs on these ports, because they are losing money on each one, and users who do these two-step ports are taking advantage of T-Mobile with no follow-on revenue from actual mobile phone bills.

If you continue to get nowhere, you might consider getting T-Mobile to completely cancel the port, then waiting a week for the porting system mess to be purged from the system, and then submitting a port request to AT&T Prepaid instead of T-Mobile.

JMV88

« Reply #365 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:09 pm »

The AT&T option looks like a good possibility now. After a 2 hour phone call yesterday and many levels of escalation, I was assured once again this would be completed by this morning and I would receive a confirmation text. Now the middle of the afternoon and still no confirmation....Thanks Steve.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  

Jump to: