News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How can I check what firmware my Obi200 is using?

Started by GreggNet, October 16, 2015, 06:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreggNet

I just set up my Obi 200 and it's working fine. But I'd like to check and see the firmware version it's using. I don't see the firmware # listed anywhere in the ObiTalk dashboard. I dialed ***6 and it says "software update not available." But it doesn't tell me the version and I don't know if it's up to date.

SteveInWA

On the OBiTALK dashboard, go into Expert mode, and you'll see it there, under Status --> System Status.

Or, log into the device's local IP address, and do the same.

Or, dial ***0, then 1# on the phone attached to the OBi, and it will be read out to you.

The current build is 4822, available here:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-0-1-4822.fw

GreggNet

Thanks. Expert mode only listed the same info for the device as regular mode.

But ***0 worked. It says my "current value" is 3.0.1. 4738. That's odd. I just bought the device and set it up 2 days ago and it's firmware isn't up to date and ***6 says "software update not available."

SteveInWA

Quote from: GreggNet on October 16, 2015, 06:39:56 PM
Thanks. Expert mode only listed the same info for the device as regular mode.

It's right there, in plain sight, on the Status --> System status section; see my attached screen shot.

But ***0 worked. It says my "current value" is 4738. That's odd. I just bought the device and set it up 2 days ago and it's firmware isn't up to date and ***6 says "software update not available."

The latest version being shipped on new units, and being offered via the ***6 method, as well as when clicking on the latest firmware link here on the forum's firmware section, is 4738.  One of us discovered the 4822 level, but there's no information available as to what (likely very minor) change it may have incorporated.  

My guess is that some customer had a specific issue that needed a firmware patch to resolve, and so Obihai made an update, but they didn't consider it important enough to update every device.

*Edit:  if I recall correctly, 4822 addressed an issue that caused a problem displaying the iframe on the right (the white area, containing the information display for each section) to be blank on a (now-downlevel) version of Google Chrome Browser.

It's your choice as to whether you leave it alone or upgrade.

GreggNet

Thanks for the info. My expert mode status - system status really does not show all the info yours does. I don't want to post a screen shot because of the serial # and other info but I only get in expert mode the first 4 lines that you get. Model Name, MAC Address, Serial # and Obi#

SteveInWA

Thanks for making me realize that I should have redacted that information from my screenshot, which I've now done.

I dunno why you aren't seeing the whole section; perhaps you need to clear your web browser's cache, cookies and history, close and reopen the browser and try again.  Also, as I noted in an edit to my post above, there was an issue displaying the iframe portion of those web pages on a certain version of Chrome Browser.  If you are using Chrome, make sure you have updated to the latest version, or try a different web browser.

GreggNet

I am using Chrome on a Chromebox. Clearing the cache didn't help. I think there may be a problem with my Obi because when I click on Call Status, SP Service Stats, and Phone Status I Get "Cannot retrieve requested information from the device now. Please try again later." I clicked around on all the other items in the expert menu and they opened fine.

SteveInWA

I'm also using Chrome OS (on a Chromebook, OS version 46.0.2490.71 beta )

I noticed some flaky behavior tonight on the OBiTALK portal, when displaying those pages.  Pressing Ctrl-H, then deleting everything except cookies, seems to fix it.  I've also found that rebooting the OBi sometimes helps this symptom, when the OBi reconnects to the portal.  Sometimes, the OBiTALK portal just starts going FUBAR on weekends, and recovers on Monday when somebody at Obihai waves a rubber chicken at it <restarts it>.

If you are curious, you can instead log into the device's local web server and view the same information.  Press ***1 on your OBi-attached phone to hear the IP address to use.

GreggNet

Thanks again. I just tried the ip address. A window pops up asking for username and password for admin@OBI200. What do I use?

Update: I found out that you use admin and admin as username and password. Logging in this way everything in the menus display correctly.

SteveInWA

admin, and admin

You can/should change the password to a stronger one.

GreggNet

How do I change the admin password? I tried typing in a new password at AdminPassword in System Management - Device Admin. After I hit Submit it told me a reboot was necessary. After the reboot the new password did not work. The password that worked was still "admin."

Update: I was able to change the admin password through the ObiTalk.com dashboard. The change would not take effect when I tried it on my local ip webhost.

SteveInWA

Change it on the OBiTALK portal instead.  Any changes you make on the local web page will get overwritten automatically by the portal, by default.  In general, for the new user, it's best to manage device settings changes on the portal vs. the local interface.

To make a change on the local interface, and not have it overwritten, you'd need to either disable remote access to your device by OBiTALK, or upload a backup of the device's configuration to the portal every time you made changes locally.

GreggNet

Thanks again for all your help. I'm sure a future firmware update will fix the problems I'm having displaying certain info on the ObiTalk portal.