News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 lines from the same service provider

Started by NegativeG, October 17, 2015, 11:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NegativeG

Hi,

I'm super happy with my Ring.To, GV, Anveo, OBi202 telephone solution. The only thing I would like to modify is the way the POTS ports are handled. Currently everything rings on both phones. I see how I can easily point one SP to to one port, but what I'd like to do is have 1 of my Ring.To lines ring one phone, and my other Ring.To line to ring the other port. It would also be nice if when making calls from one port or the other, that it goes out on the same line that rings on that port by default.

Is this possible, or am I dreaming.

Glenn

drgeoff

Quote from: NegativeG on October 17, 2015, 11:56:28 AM
Hi,

I'm super happy with my Ring.To, GV, Anveo, OBi202 telephone solution. The only thing I would like to modify is the way the POTS ports are handled. Currently everything rings on both phones. I see how I can easily point one SP to to one port, but what I'd like to do is have 1 of my Ring.To lines ring one phone, and my other Ring.To line to ring the other port. It would also be nice if when making calls from one port or the other, that it goes out on the same line that rings on that port by default.

Is this possible, or am I dreaming.

Glenn

1.  They are PHONE ports, not POTS ports.

2.  If you can truthfully write "I see how I can easily point one SP to to one port", what is the obstacle to "what I'd like to do is have 1 of my Ring.To lines ring one phone, and my other Ring.To line to ring the other port."?

3.  You set the default outgoing SP for each PHONE port by Physical Interfaces / Phone Port 1 or 2) / Phone Port / Primary Line.

SteveInWA

You can easily set this up via the OBiTALK portal for your 202 device.  Just click on each SP, and set the inbound and outbound behavior accordingly.

See my screenshot for an example.

CLTGreg

Where I got stuck was on "Ring.To lines ring one phone, and my other Ring.To line to ring the other port". Unless these are different sip accounts wouldn't that prevent the ability to have two different numbers ring on two different ports?

With Anveo I have a sub-account. I am able to have each go to both ports of the 202 with the demarcation (for lack of a better word) being the account number. I can have both on one or separate them to go to different ports.

Otherwise, how would Anveo handle two connections on the same sip? I just tried it and the first phone number works fine and the second on the same account works as well as far as registration goes but pukes with Obi stating no service error. This is having each number on the same SP on the same port.

When I use a sub-account with a different sip registration I can do what I want with it. I'm not sure if that's what he is saying but I don't see a way to have the same sip registration with two different phone numbers. If I delete the SP for the account that has 2 phone numbers the number rings on the OBi on the SP with the same SIP registration. That works more as a call forward so to speak without OBi involved.

If Ring.To supports two SIP registrations by default in a way that makes his question common then I've wasted time here but that's how Anveo works without a subacount.

Meanwhile: "It would also be nice if when making calls from one port or the other, that it goes out on the same line that rings on that port by default" appears to me that he wants to pick upon picking up the line that it will go out the port that the last call came in. Not sure and I didn't jump in because of the head scratching but the SIP stuff feels familiar.

SteveInWA

Quote from: CLTGreg on October 17, 2015, 10:30:15 PM
Where I got stuck was on "Ring.To lines ring one phone, and my other Ring.To line to ring the other port". Unless these are different sip accounts wouldn't that prevent the ability to have two different numbers ring on two different ports?

With Anveo I have a sub-account. I am able to have each go to both ports of the 202 with the demarcation (for lack of a better word) being the account number. I can have both on one or separate them to go to different ports.

Otherwise, how would Anveo handle two connections on the same sip? I just tried it and the first phone number works fine and the second on the same account works as well as far as registration goes but pukes with Obi stating no service error. This is having each number on the same SP on the same port.

When I use a sub-account with a different sip registration I can do what I want with it. I'm not sure if that's what he is saying but I don't see a way to have the same sip registration with two different phone numbers. If I delete the SP for the account that has 2 phone numbers the number rings on the OBi on the SP with the same SIP registration. That works more as a call forward so to speak without OBi involved.

If Ring.To supports two SIP registrations by default in a way that makes his question common then I've wasted time here but that's how Anveo works without a subacount.

Meanwhile: "It would also be nice if when making calls from one port or the other, that it goes out on the same line that rings on that port by default" appears to me that he wants to pick upon picking up the line that it will go out the port that the last call came in. Not sure and I didn't jump in because of the head scratching but the SIP stuff feels familiar.

It seemed like a simple question, with a simple answer.  Let's see what the OP has to say, either "yes, I get it", or "sorry, I wasn't clear on my requirement".

You're getting confused over the concepts and terminology of "accounts".

Imagine that you are a small businessperson who has 4 different businesses.  You want a separate mailing address for each one.  You go to your local USPS post office, and they only have two PO boxes available, so you rent them.  You now have one account with the USPS, paying for two separate PO boxes, each with its own address.  You then go to the UPS Store, and they only have one box available, so you rent it.  You now have one account with the UPS Store, and one address.  You get your fourth box from Pony Express.  None of those four boxes will receive mail intended for the others, and each has its own address that can be used to identify your outgoing mail.  Each box has an address and a key.  It's just an arbitrary fact that two of the four addresses happen to be from one provider.

The same relationship applies to the OBi 2xx, as a device that can be assigned up to four different SIP "mailboxes":

Terminology:

Account:  the business relationship (free or paid) between you and the ITSP.

SIP server:  the system run by the ITSP, that routes calls on behalf of the many registered SIP user agents (clients).

SIP registration credentials:  the user ID and password pair, like the mailbox address and key.  The credentials allow one login to the provider's SIP server.

SIP user agent:  the hardware, firmware and/or software combination that allows you to use your SIP credentials to connect to the SIP server to make or receive calls.  The OBi 2xx boxes have four independent SIP user agents, SP1 through SP4.

The OBi 202 has two physical Phone ports (the telephone line-level electrical connection via modular telephone jacks), and the four SPx registrations can be directed to make and/or receive calls to and from either or both ports.

---

It doesn't matter if you have four different sets of SIP credentials from one ITSP, or one each, from four different ITSPs; each one is distinct.   In the first scenario, your ITSP may call them "sub accounts" or "extensions".  The only thing that matters, is that each one represents an independently-configurable SIP client registration.  When configuring SPs via the OBiTALK portal, the portal will change the SIP user agent port number (e.g. 5060) for each of the four SPs, to avoid conflicts.  If you set up the SPs manually, you may need to do this yourself.

It gets more complex when the ITSP offers PBX-like call routing and caller ID substitution features, which allow you to customize call flow at the server side, vs. on the client side, so it's important to distinguish where the configuration settings are being made.

CLTGreg

Thanks. I agree. I'll work on the terminology.