News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can someone use wifi-only tablet to call me on my ObiTalk box?

Started by tenyks, January 31, 2015, 08:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenyks

I have my Obi110 connected to my home phone.   If someone uses a landline or mobile phone to call my Google Voice number, the phone rings. (duh!) :)

However, I'm wondering if it's possible for someone to use a wifi-only tablet to call me on my ObiTalk box?   The tablet is either iPad or Android tablet.   What app does he/she need?   Is there a "Google Chat" app that works on iPads or Android tablets?  I said "Google Chat" because I assumed that's what ObiTalk uses to connect the Obi110 box.... 

Thanks!

azrobert

There is several ways you could accomplish this.

Each person/device can get their own GV account and call anyone with the Hangouts app. Android has a separate app called Hangouts dialer.

Get a free Callcentric account. Each device would be assigned an extension at callcentric. Install a softphone on each device. Each device can call any of the others by extension number.

Get a Sip2Sip account for each device. Using a softphone a device can call the others by account number.

Use the OBion app. OBihai just updated the app for iPhone/iPad. The Android version hasn't benn updated since 2011 and has bugs for newer versions of Android.

I would choose one of the 1st two.

See this for other ideas:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9351.0

drgeoff

The latest Chome browser for Android supports WebRTC. Use it and click on the green 'Call OBi' button at the top of obitalk.com/obinet.

ianobi

QuoteThe latest Chome browser for Android supports WebRTC. Use it and click on the green 'Call OBi' button at the top of obitalk.com/obinet.

Thx for the info, I was not aware that the "Big Green Button" had reached android. I just tried calling my OBi1032 and it works fine from my Android phone on wifi. However, it does not work to OBi100 or OBi110 models. That's also true for Chrome running on a pc.

azrobert

You can use WebRTC with Getonsip to call any OBi. I did not recommend this method because you have to enter a full URI address to make a call.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9265.0

I forgot to warn you about GV. If you want to open several accounts you CANNOT use the same forwarding number to open more than one GV account. If you try, bad things will happen. 

Sotosobi

Quote from: azrobert on January 31, 2015, 08:44:38 PM

Each person/device can get their own GV account and call anyone with the Hangouts app. Android has a separate app called Hangouts dialer.

azrobert,

i tried the GV to GV option but something is not working well or i am doing something wrong.
I have an android device with account name_android@gmail.com
I have an obi110 with name_obi@gmail.com
also the name_obi@gmail.com has also a google voice number which was transfered from name_android@gmail.com account

If I call from Hangouts dialer the GV phone number it works. Obi phone rings and i can talk/
If I call from Hangouts dialer which is logged in with name_android@gmail.com
the account name_obi@gmail.com associated with obi110 it does not answer!!!

What am I doing wrong?
(the gmail accounts have accepted invites from others!)

Does the name_android@gmail.com has to have a GV number registered too?

I have looked into the forums but I cant find a solid answer and it appears that it should be working.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Sotosobi on October 19, 2015, 07:58:10 AM
Quote from: azrobert on January 31, 2015, 08:44:38 PM

azrobert,

i tried the GV to GV option but something is not working well or i am doing something wrong.
I have an android device with account name_android@gmail.com
I have an obi110 with name_obi@gmail.com
also the name_obi@gmail.com has also a google voice number which was transfered from name_android@gmail.com account

If I call from Hangouts dialer the GV phone number it works. Obi phone rings and i can talk/
If I call from Hangouts dialer which is logged in with name_android@gmail.com
the account name_obi@gmail.com associated with obi110 it does not answer!!!

What am I doing wrong?
(the gmail accounts have accepted invites from others!)

Does the name_android@gmail.com has to have a GV number registered too?

I have looked into the forums but I cant find a solid answer and it appears that it should be working.

Don't post the same question in multiple places.

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10522.msg69231#msg69231