News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Why are people so obsessed with VOIP.ms

Started by VOIP_JoeSummy, October 22, 2015, 07:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOIP_JoeSummy

I just cannot understand why people are so obsessed with VOIP.ms. I will be hard-pressed to find a day that I cannot find any post mentioning VOIP.ms. True that I used VOIP.ms myself in the past. But I got fed up with it recently, and I decided to dump it, trying to find a way asking them to refund the credit balance to me, and stick with Google Voice.

* Unlike GV, VOIP.ms only takes US dollar. Huge inconvenience to non-US people, including Canadians.

* Unlike GV, VOIP.ms charges tax on top of the rate. Really pissed me off. Not sure whether they keep the tax to themselves. I demand to see the proof that they actually remit the tax they collected to the government.

* VOIP.ms has no free North American calls.

* VOIP.ms is more expensive than GV. Plus, using VOIP.ms to dial overseas numbers, like China, is much slower to go through. In contrast, in my experience, GV actually is much faster and much more stable.

Maybe the only saving grace for VOIP.ms is the Caller ID display stuff. But I really don't care about Caller ID. I am not that curious, inquisitive badly enough, like always want to know who called me. I just pick up the phone and answer it, when the phone rings.

Small companies really cannot compete against big companies.

Too bad that GV does not support SIP. But I suspect it is by design. Google ***deliberately*** decides not to support SIP, in order to force people to use the Web/Hangout app to make calls, as it is easier for Google to harvest user data this way. Google has its own share of evil plans to blame - sigh!

( Next topic coming soon - Why are people so obsessed with the Caller ID stuff )

drgeoff

There is a saying "One man's meat is another man's poison".

Agent88

I happen to like Voip.ms.  I also have an account with Anveo. I find Voip.ms easier to navigate and use it for my personal line, but I prefer Anveo for my business lines.

Not everyone marches to the same beat.  Trust me, I know.... I use to be in a marching band.  ;D

Lavarock7

Voip.ms compared to GV.

I use GV for outbound calls but it confuses people because I have multiple GV and other numbers and can''t force GV to use a standard caller-id.

I have lots of options with Voip.Ms that Google doesn't. Multiple voicemail boxes, ability to forward calls out other ways like URIs to "Lenny".

Ability to have a telephone number in the city of my choice, even if it costs me a dollar a month or so. Ability to have a toll free number in the same account.

Ability to set my own caller-ID.

Cheaper calling to many locations than GV.

Ability to call a toll free number and be assured it will go through. Not all toll free numbers go through on GoogleVoice.

I personally don't care how long it takes to call China :-) Your mileage differs.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

pducharme

Quote from: Lavarock7 on November 07, 2015, 02:24:36 PM
Voip.ms compared to GV.

I use GV for outbound calls but it confuses people because I have multiple GV and other numbers and can''t force GV to use a standard caller-id.

I have lots of options with Voip.Ms that Google doesn't. Multiple voicemail boxes, ability to forward calls out other ways like URIs to "Lenny".

Ability to have a telephone number in the city of my choice, even if it costs me a dollar a month or so. Ability to have a toll free number in the same account.

Ability to set my own caller-ID.

Cheaper calling to many locations than GV.

Ability to call a toll free number and be assured it will go through. Not all toll free numbers go through on GoogleVoice.

I personally don't care how long it takes to call China :-) Your mileage differs.

I just saw this post and I have a question :)

I have a GV number I want to use for outgoing calls.  I also have a Voip.ms (SP2) with a Local Number here that everyone knows.   Is there a way so that when I call Out (using G.Voice), it will display my Local number on Caller ID of people I call ???

Since i'm in Canada, i display a US number from vermont and lots of people doesn't want to pickup the call...

SteveInWA

No.  Google Voice does not permit outbound caller ID spoofing, and GV numbers are only available for the 48 contiguous US states.

vtsnaab

When all the furor erupted over the supposed changes at GV, I tried several ITSPs.
Only one of those I tried turned out to be really great - and that one is Circlenet.
VOIP.MS, Localphone, Callcentric, and so on all turned out to be just OK IMO.

The time of worry over GV did have a single HUGE advantage for me:
It had me discover how easy it is to have free services via Android phones & wifi.

Truth is - after all that excitement - I am still a happy GV & Obi user with no plans to switch to VOIP.MS or any other such provider - my main phone uses are via GV and shall stay that way as long as possible.

Best Wishes to All !!