News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

how to change google voice "unknown" callers to their names?

Started by preppystud, December 05, 2012, 04:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

preppystud

i added their names under "contacts" on google voice web site, but whenever those people leave me voicemails,  google voice on the phone will tell me that i got a message from an unknown caller.

is it possible to change that?

i think that the only way is to turn on the "call screening", and let them to say their names first.

any other ways?

CrAcKaJaP

I would like to know this as well. I currently have my Google Voice setup to ask unknown callers to state their names. However, the calls just come through as "unknown caller" and no one has to state anything. Am I overlooking something in the setup? I too have added the numbers as contacts in Google Voice. Thanks for any help.

SteveInWA

This is commonly-misunderstood behavior, unique to Google Voice.  When the automated voice says "call from unknown caller", what it actually means is, "call from somebody whose name and telephone number are not already in your Google Voice contacts, so I can't look it up and tell you who is calling."  It is not the same as getting a call from a telephone number with blocked or missing caller ID number or caller ID name.

So:  if the caller is somebody you converse with often, then add their info to your Google Contacts.  Or, turn on call screening with the additional option to ask the caller to speak their name, and it will be recorded.  Beware:  that feature is annoying to some callers, and, if the caller doesn't actually say their name, but instead, says, "um..." or "Kim Kardashian" or "I don't want to tell you my name", that will be forever played back to you, with no way to change it.