News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anveo temporary number DID

Started by Popadave, October 23, 2015, 06:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Popadave

Does Anveo give me a temporary number / DID to use while a wait for my landline phone number to be ported? I know that some providers do,  but I can't seem to find that information on their website.  I hope someone knows.

ProfTech

From a technical standpoint, you shouldn't need one. Anveo handles the porting of your number anyway. Don't contact your current provider until AFTER Anveo notifies you that the port is complete. I think you should be able to set up a free account with Anveo to test your connection with Anveo before you request the port. From a practical standpoint I don't know how well Anveo handles all this. There is a chance you could be without phone service for a period. :-(

Taoman

You could get an immediate free DID at IPKall and then forward it to your Anveo account via SIP URI. You just have to remember to use port 5010. It would look something like: 1555account#@sip.anveo.com:5010

Works quite well if you're ok with a Washington State area code.

CLTGreg

Quote from: ProfTech on October 23, 2015, 05:30:37 PM
I think you should be able to set up a free account with Anveo to test your connection with Anveo before you request the port. From a practical standpoint I don't know how well Anveo handles all this. There is a chance you could be without phone service for a period. :-(

It's not clear if the OP is talking about "regular" Anveo or Anveo for OBiTALK. And with that how much he wants to get his hands dirty. If the latter then he should just follow the wizard and if it doesn't go the way he wants, stop. If the former then he just needs to do what you suggest with a free account and if wanting to test DiD pick up a fifty cent number for three months.

On this page there is an e-mail address to contact them regarding porting. Need more info to see which path he's on.

http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=faq_did_portin

Popadave

Thanks to all who have helped me get an answer especially Proftech.  I had already looked at spkall but I'm in Pennsylvania. Since porting can take a few weeks to a month I want local friends to be able to reach us during the switchover duration.  I could give them our cell numbers but would prefer not to because people tend to call the cell # once they have it.  We also have limited cell phone minutes and only use cell phones when out of the house.  Since we're retired were often home.  Don't need smartphone with internet access as I can use the Internet via wifi hotspts on my tablet. We prefer our current land line system since all the wireless phone sets support speaker phone operation and my wife,  who wears hearing aids in both ears,  hears much better on speaker phone.  OneSuite,  who we have been using for LD service and with whom we already have credit on our account,  offers a short term option which I may use.
Dave

Popadave

Quote from: CLTGreg on October 24, 2015, 12:23:02 AM
Quote from: ProfTech on October 23, 2015, 05:30:37 PM
I think you should be able to set up a free account with Anveo to test your connection with Anveo before you request the port. From a practical standpoint I don't know how well Anveo handles all this. There is a chance you could be without phone service for a period. :-(

It's not clear if the OP is talking about "regular" Anveo or Anveo for OBiTALK. And with that how much he wants to get his hands dirty. If the latter then he should just follow the wizard and if it doesn't go the way he wants, stop. If the former then he just needs to do what you suggest with a free account and if wanting to test DiD pick up a fifty cent number for three months.

On this page there is an e-mail address to contact them regarding porting. Need more info to see which path he's on.

http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=faq_did_portin

Thanks Greg.  For me it's not the porting process.  As I  understand it my landline phone should work up until the time of the porting.  Fortunately I have an old phone laying around to use for the Voip line.  When the regular lines loose the dial tone,  then I guess the porting is complete. 

Maybe this issue is just an unnecessary concern but as a redundancy freek I like to know my backup plan will work.
Dave

CLTGreg

Are you going with the per year deal? The stuff I've ported has been almost immediate including a toll free number. I think they are just CYA. Have you checked Google Voice for numbers in your area? That's a good fall back and I think everyone should have one. I have GV as my main # that then transfers to Anveo with free incoming minutes. I HATE to be metered so I make outgoing calls through that. You can't directly port from phoneco to GV. You'd have to port it to T-Mobile or other cell phone so it's not the easiest thing. Forwarding from GV to spkall or CallCentral which has a wizard in OBiTalk ads full caller-id and E911. Doesn't matter what area code you get from them since people would be dialing a GV number which would then be forwarded.

To put it more simply, no matter what, get a GV account because it's free and it gives you more options. It would be extra-sweet if you found a # in your area code.

Popadave

I've had a GV number for several years but really did not to do with it,  or how it was supposed to work. I've relied on Skype for calling my daughter in France and that has usually worked well,  especially after she got faster internet service. I think I'll stay away from GV since there scores of questions about it on the forum. I've concluded it must not be that simple.  I try to find solutions that are "bozo proof"!

SteveInWA

Quote from: Popadave on October 28, 2015, 04:34:59 PM
I've had a GV number for several years but really did not to do with it,  or how it was supposed to work. I've relied on Skype for calling my daughter in France and that has usually worked well,  especially after she got faster internet service. I think I'll stay away from GV since there scores of questions about it on the forum. I've concluded it must not be that simple.  I try to find solutions that are "bozo proof"!

There are "scores of questions about it" because it is the most popular and most powerful telephone call management system, and so lots of people are asking questions about it.  It has nothing to do with how Bozo-proof it is.

Here are my step-by-step instructions to set it up on an OBi device:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460 (see reply #18)

If you are overwhelmed by the instructions, then the service may not be for you.   You can also learn more about Google Voice by reading the help pages, which are in easy-to-digest, short topics:

https://support.google.com/voice/#topic=1707989