News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Door intercom with dial tone

Started by k6kbm, May 02, 2011, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k6kbm

I have a door intercom that generate it own dial tone that ring a regular phone. My problem is when the door intercom is ringing,  the OBI will not pick up the call but other phones that connected will ring. The door intercom model is Viking W-1000.

RonR

Do you have the W-1000 connected to the LINE port on the OBi?  It sounds like you have the W-1000 connected to the OBi's PHONE Port along with other telephones.  Connecting the W-1000 to the OBi's PHONE Port could potentially damage the OBi as the PHONE Port wasn't designed for incoming ring voltage like the W-100 produces.

The W-1000 should be connected to the OBi's LINE Port as if it was a telephone company.  When someone pushes the Intercom button, the OBi will think you have an incoming call and ring the phones connected to its PHONE Port.

This leaves the door open (no pun intended) to do neat things like have the LINE Port forwarded to your cell phone when you're not home and still be able to communicate with people standing outside your front door.

k6kbm

It is connected to the Line Port of the Obi. That's I'm trying to accomplish, forward the line port so can answer the door if I'm not home.  ;D

RonR

So you're saying the OBi recognizes the ring voltage from the W-1000 on the LINE Port, rings the phones connected to the PHONE Port, but when you pick up the phone connected to the PHONE Port, it's not being bridged to the LINE Port?  How many rings do you have the W-1000 set for (2/3/10/30)?  Could it be you're not picking up the OBi phone before the W-1000 has exhausted its calling?  The OBi doesn't start ringing the PHONE Port until the second ring on the LINE Port.

k6kbm

Nope,I think the obi does not recognize the ring voltage of the w-1000 and  the phone attach to phone port does not ring but other phones connected to the w-1000 rings. I don't know how rings is set.

RonR

The maximum number of rings from the W-1000 is set by a 2-postiion dip switch.

DaveSin

Quote from: k6kbm on May 03, 2011, 09:31:40 AM
Nope,I think the obi does not recognize the ring voltage of the w-1000 and  the phone attach to phone port does not ring but other phones connected to the w-1000 rings. I don't know how rings is set.

Were you able to get your setup working?  I just ordered a OBi110 for a Friend and currently have the DoorBell Fon which was connected to a T-Mobile@home Router.  I will be replacing the T-Mobile Voip-type Device/Router with the OBi110 when it arrives in a few days.  With the DoorBell Fon, I could simply connect the Phone of the @Home Router to the input port of the port to the input  of the DoorBell Fon and the output of the DoorBell Fon to the telephone and everything works as required.  See attached, where it shows that it is quite acceptable to do as explained above:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=157678367612850&set=a.157677584279595.34817.157430110971009&type=1&theater

However, I think I like the idea of being able to transfer the call to a cellphone if someone is not at home and is curious to find out the proper way to do this so that I can either answer the DoorBell Fon from either the house phone or the cell phone?  Any suggestions?

LeftRight

There are a few LINE port ring detection related parameters --

go to: Physical Interface -> LINE port -> Ring detection ->

RingFrequencyMin, RingFrequencyMax, RingThreshold, RingValidationTime, RingIndicationDelayTime, RingTimeout, RingerImpedance.

You may choose lower RingThreshold to detect ring with lower ring voltage ...

If the ring burst is fairly short, then, shorten RingValidationTime to like 100 ms...

Other parameters you might just keep their default.