News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need help from google voice expert...

Started by KeithCoward, October 27, 2015, 04:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithCoward

I've had an OBI 110 for a few years.  I've converted my home phone to google voice.

When I initially set everything up(the second time after google voice became avail again), I set up a separate gmail address to do nothing but handle emails/messages from google voice.  Under the google voice settings of that email address, I clicked the toggle button to "send missed calls to email".

All of a sudden a few weeks back, google voice quit sending me notices of missed calls.  I waiting a week or so hoping it would correct itself.  Didn't happen.  In that time period my modem has been upgraded by Time Warner to accomodate their increased speeds, and I've had to reset the modem a few times.

This morning, I re-booted the Obi by unplugging it and removing the cat cable for 45 seconds. 

The Obi seems to be working fine.  If I'm getting missed calls, I don't know about them.  There are no notifications being sent to my homephone email.  I've checked and the tick box is still checked.  I've unchecked and rechecked it. 

Still no email notifications.  Thanks for your help.  Keith

SteveInWA

Hi Keith:

Your post is somewhat ambiguous, as to exactly how you've set up Google Voice with your OBi device.  You mentioned that you reconfigured your device after Obihai and Google changed their authentication method.  It sounds like you've somehow set up your Google Voice phone number on a different Google/Gmail/GV account than you realize, and it's not the same account as the one you're using to set up email forwarding.

Here's the way it should be set up:

• Decide which of your various Gmail accounts you want to use to receive notifications for your Google Voice phone number.
  • If the Google Voice phone number is not attached to the same Gmail account as the one on which you want to receive notifications, you'll need to move the number, or else use the Gmail account currently associated with the account that has the GV number (you cannot have the GV number attached to Gmail account "A" yet receive notifications on Gmail account "B").
  • If you need to move the number, then read and follow these instructions:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en
  • If you move your GV number from one account to another, then you also need to re-do the Google Voice setup on your OBi.  OBi devices now authenticate to the Chat (XMPP) service on a specific Google account, and are not tied to a username/password stored on the OBi.
  • Once you have the GV number on the correct account, then click the gear icon to get to Settings.  Go to the Voicemail and Text tab, and set the email address to use for notifications, add a check mark to the left of it, and be sure to click the "Save Changes" button, or it won't "take"

See my screenshot below.  Make sure you are logged into the Google account that holds your GV number, and that you've set up email forwarding as in my example.

KeithCoward

Steve thanks for your efforts.  I apologize for my ambiguity.  I originally had the obi set up with google voice, until I got notice that obi and google were not going to support each other.  I moved back time warner for a year.

After receiving another notice that obi and google had kissed and made up, I set the obi up again with google voice, going thru the same steps as you've outlined in your reply.  All's well with the obi.  It's worked perfectly for about 6 months.  The dedicated email is great.  Google voice sends notification of a missed call to my dedicated google email, just like it's supposed to do. I have a gmail app for my iphone that's dedicated to the home telephone and nothing else.  I set that email app up to push notifications to my iphone.  Now, whenever I'm not home and miss a call, I get an instant notification on my iphone....couldn't be better.  Until it stopped sending me notifications.

So apparently the Obi is no longer sending a notification of a missed call to google voice.  Or google voice is no longer sending me the notification after it receives it from Obi...which one I don't know.  

But as referenced in my original post, the settings haven't been changed on google voice.  I've enclosed a screen shot(I hope).  

SteveInWA

Your issue has nothing to do with the OBi. Google Voice has no clue you have an OBi, and the OBi has no involvement at all in notifications.

You attached another copy of my screenshot, not your own screenshot.  Please try again.

The email notifications are sent from Google Voice itself, to the Gmail account you designate on the settings page.  It sounds like the issue is with your iPhone's mail app setup.

Log into that Gmail account on a computer, not on your phone.  Look at the inbox, and in "All Mail".  Do you see the notifications?  If so, it's your iPhone that has the problem.  If you don't see the notification emails, then you've got some other issue.  Try sending a test email note from any other email account to the Gmail account used by your Google Voice number.  Does that note show up in the Gmail account's inbox?  Does it get sent to your iPhone?

KeithCoward

A record of all calls received can be found in the history tab of google voice, both on my laptop and on my iphone app.  I'm not really interested in receiving those as a notification to the iphone, so I don't ask the app to push those notifications to me.

What I like to see are the notifications of missed calls.  I don't get those notifications, although this screen shot indicates that I should.