News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How do I get rid of GV.

Started by Popadave, November 03, 2015, 02:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Popadave

Got new Obi 200 and plugged everything in.  Called the **# and registered the device.  Went to the Obi portal and started process.  Somehow, the devise set up a GV as provider #1.  I don't want GV.  How can I delete GV.  Will it only delete after I set up another provider such as Avneo or OneSuite  (who I've been using as my LD provider for several years)?

No help from the Obi site.  A prominent button, labeled something like "call obi" opened a dialer but there was no number to call.  How am I supposed to call when there is no number given. Not even a button or anything to direct me. As far as I'm concerned, this leaves a horrible first impression and without confidence that it will get any better. If there are dead links a buttons on the web site -- well lets just say that I've already lost faith in The company. The quick start instructions did not tell me what to do after I registered the device.  It just kept repeating a message that it was registering the divice.  Did not tell me to hang up or what. Finally, all the lights went on green, and when I picked up the phone set, the line was dead.

Sorry, I'm stuck and don't know what to do next. 
So should I go ahead and set up another provider? Or do a factory reset and register on the obi site with a new name and try again. 

Sorry but I'm not a "happy camper" at this point

drgeoff

1.  The green "Call OBi" button lets you make a call from a WebRTC enabled browser to another OBi device.  It does not make a call to the Obihai company.

2.  On the OBi dashboard click on the your device and you will get a screen like the one I have attached.  Use the appropriate dustbin icon to delete the corresponding SP configuration.

SteveInWA

"Call OBi" has nothing to do with calling the company for support.  It's a method of placing a phone call from a supported web browser to an OBi device, using VoIP.

You're taking your own lack of patience and/or abilities out on the company and the device.

PEBKAC.

Log onto the OBiTALK portal.  Click the name of your OBi device.  Look on that page, for a list of service providers you have configured.  Click the trashcan icon to remove the Google Voice account you started to set up.

mykmayk

əʞɪɯ mɪke

Popadave

Quote from: drgeoff on November 03, 2015, 03:05:23 PM
1.  The green "Call OBi" button lets you make a call from a WebRTC enabled browser to another OBi device.  It does not make a call to the Obihai company.

2.  On the OBi dashboard click on the your device and you will get a screen like the one I have attached.  Use the appropriate dustbin icon to delete the corresponding SP configuration.

How was I supposed to know that? Normal English grammar would  be "Obi call" meaning use obi to make a call.  If  I say "call John" no one would think I was going to use John (the object, in this case a person), to make a call). Sorry, I've lived with a professional editor for many years. If the label said "Make Obi Call" I would have understood. It seems to go against web practice.  "Write Obi" would not  mean "Use Obi" to write.

Part two.  I had a terrible time getting to the page with the trash bin since the page I was on looked like
I was on the page
I needed to be on.  I had no indication that the device name was a link to what I was looking for.  But it did work and GV is on.  
I just think that working on getting this set up should not take about 4.5 hrs because off poor web page design elements and stuff that happened after making the **5.... call was unexpected and set me aback.  The trouble seems to be that the engineers know the stuff so well that the do not write clearly enough for non-experts.

SteveInWA

No, the trouble is that you are exhibiting the classic male trait of externalizing: blaming everybody else for your own issues.  The option to add a Google Voice account was clearly displayed on the setup page, as are the options to set up some other service provider(s).  All you had to do was stare at the page and read it.

The pages are designed for around a 9th grade reading comprehension level.  Out of the hundreds of thousands of people who follow the instructions on those pages, you are the only person who has ever reported here had a reading comprehension issue with those settings.

We're happy to help people solve problems, but it does assume a minimal level of reading first.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 03, 2015, 05:18:20 PM
All you had to do was stare at the page and read it.

In this case, I think you are asking too much Steve.

There's a small percentage of the population that needs to use a landline with large buttons. We must be sensitive to their special needs.

Popadave

Quote from: LTN1 on November 03, 2015, 06:56:07 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on November 03, 2015, 05:18:20 PM
All you had to do was stare at the page and read it.
[/quote,
In this case, I think you are asking too much Steve.

There's a small percentage of the population that needs to use a landline with large buttons. We must be sensitive to their special needs.

Thank you for your support. I Do have eye problems with major retinal distortion of fine features that causes all sorts of problems with vision. Its a problem SOME people do not seem to be able to understand! I will ignore adhominem insults from certain people.  For the record, I have 3 masters degrees from fully accredited institutions of higher learning and have worked with computers from times when we used teletype with holes punched in paper tape to communicate with the main frame!

Thanks for your understanding LTN1!

LTN1

Quote from: Popadave on November 04, 2015, 05:14:38 AM
I Do have eye problems with major retinal distortion of fine features that causes all sorts of problems with vision.

These physical, and for other people, mental special needs, are the main reasons that come to mind when a minority of the people have problems with what is quite obvious to the average person with no physical and/or mental challenges. Devoid of this context, I'd have to say that the exchanges have been some of the funniest I've ever seen.

Steve is really one of the best resource for those needing help with their OBi device. Ask away...but leave the grammatical and other critical commentaries aside and you will find a quicker solution from the forum volunteers.

Lavarock7

I agree with the OP and I have been around and owned many Obi's.

CALL OBI does not make me think I can call just any OBI but rather that it is some option t ocontact Obihai.

Call AN Obi (emphasis on AN or ANY would have suggested an option to dial another Obi somewhere).

I am definitely not the word police, but the suggestion that it is obvious this button allows you to call other than the Obihai company is wrong.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Taoman

Quote from: Lavarock7 on November 04, 2015, 09:49:05 AM

I am definitely not the word police, but the suggestion that it is obvious this button allows you to call other than the Obihai company is wrong.

I completely agree.

It amazes me the amount of ridicule and sarcasm that gets regularly thrown at newbies on this forum.

God save us from forum nannies.

SteveInWA

Don't look at me as the "word police"...  the OP was the one arguing about the position of the two words and their grammatical meaning, along with ignoring the instructions I provided in his other discussion thread, and ignored the pretty obvious check-mark in the middle of the page that indicated that Google Voice setup would be kicked off, and so on.

Companies can write elegant instruction manuals, and volunteers can write step-by-step instructions, only to find that men take it as a matter of pride to never RTFM.  For cryin' out loud, there's a support link right at the top of the web page.

I agree that "Call an OBi" makes more sense, Lavarock.  'nuff said.

LTN1

The tech world has its own grammatical and acronymic cultures--lots of time, it's evolving. As someone traditionally schooled, my eyebrows are raised at certain ways that the tech world and various companies do things but I learn to go with the flow. When I am in Rome so to speak, I need to adapt somewhat to the Roman culture--same goes with entering into the OBi and other tech subcultures. I can complain all I want of how ungrammatical and uncultured they are compared to say the Ph.D. in Classics, but rather than waste time complaining and getting nowhere fast, if the click to the "Call Obi" doesn't yield what I thought it would be, I try a different link and/or do a forum search, etc. If I'm ignorant in doing new tech stuff, I'll share that I'm not very knowledgeable with the hopes that someone more qualified will help. I use much more energy being defensive than just saying, "Hi everyone...I'm kinda a moron when it comes to this stuff...please help..." (whether I'm really a moron or not) rather than posturing and blaming others. If you need help...just get to the point and do it humbly is all I'm saying. In this forum, no one cares if I have a Ph.D. in English or any other degrees. The only thing that really matters is skill and expertise to operate and troubleshoot these devices.

Yury

Quote from: Popadave on November 03, 2015, 03:49:29 PM
I had a terrible time getting to the page with the trash bin since the page I was on looked like
I was on the page.
+++
I had the same issue.
This is a design defect and should be fixed.