News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No calls in or out- newbie

Started by robcraig70, November 04, 2015, 05:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robcraig70

Using Google Voice
I have dial tone.
The echo test works.
When I call out it rings once and then beep-beep-beep

Thanks to all who help. ::)
Thanks to all who help.

SteveInWA

Log onto your Google Voice account on a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, not on a smartphone or tablet, and go to the Settings page:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Make sure that you have "Google Chat" added to the list of forwarding phones, and you have a check mark in the box to the left of it.

robcraig70

I made a call from gmail. Chat does not appear @ (https://www.google.com/voice#phones) and have no idea what to try next.
Thanks to all who help.

LTN1

Quote from: robcraig70 on November 04, 2015, 10:18:02 AM
I made a call from gmail. Chat does not appear @ (https://www.google.com/voice#phones) and have no idea what to try next.

Steve has detailed the solution here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Also click on the JPG attachments at the bottom of his instructions to get a visual picture.

robcraig70

I deleted the adapter and reset the box.  I can not get a google number. every area code and number I try says, "There was an error with your request. Please try again."
Thanks to all who help.

drgeoff

Quote from: robcraig70 on November 04, 2015, 02:52:14 PM
I deleted the adapter and reset the box.  I can not get a google number. every area code and number I try says, "There was an error with your request. Please try again."
I am confused. Did you have a GV number at the time of your opening post above? Deleting your Obi from the portal or resetting it does not delete a GV number.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on November 04, 2015, 03:06:59 PM
I am confused. Did you have a GV number at the time of your opening post above? Deleting your Obi from the portal or resetting it does not delete a GV number.

Why not refrain from answering Google Voice questions, since you're in the UK where it isn't offered, and thus, not an expert.

SteveInWA

The issue here is that the OP (a) didn't follow the step-by-step instructions (linked by LTN above), and (b) didn't fully set up a Google Voice account.

Specifically, you must add Google Chat as a forwarding destination, if it isn't already present.  This requires using a web browser with the old Google Chat/Talk/Hangouts plugin added.  Google Chrome Browser can no longer be used to do this, and Firefox browser blocks plugins by default, and so it must be configured to allow the plugin to run.

The inventory of available Google Voice phone numbers is currently very low.  Furthermore, current anti-fraud measures require that the applicant use a mobile phone number or traditional POTS landline as a valid forwarding phone number when attempting to select a GV number.  The mobile or POTS number must not have been previously used to get a GV number.

Porting in an existing mobile number remains an alternative to requesting a number from Google's inventory.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 04, 2015, 09:55:54 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on November 04, 2015, 03:06:59 PM
I deleted the adapter and reset the box.  I can not get a google number. every area code and number I try says, "There was an error with your request. Please try again."

And SteveInWA

Why not refrain from answering Google Voice questions, since you're in the UK where it isn't offered, and thus, not an expert.

I don't claim to be a GV expert but, notwithstanding being in the UK, I have had GV configured and working on various devices here for more than two years including on an OBi1032 for the last 12 months. Yes, I do mean the full GV with a GV number.

Unlike SteveInWA I do know that not having Google Chat ticked under 'Forward Calls' will not cause outgoing GV calls to fail.

My question to the OP was entirely relevant. His first post clearly implied that he was trying and failing to make outgoing GV calls or receive incoming ones. Surely he realised he required a GV account and number in order to configure his OBi with it. Yet,  after deleting and resetting his device he said he was unable to obtain a number. So did he not have a GV number originally or was he under the mistaken impression that having deleted and reset his OBi he required a new GV number?

SteveInWA

Unlike SteveInWA I do know that not having Google Chat ticked under 'Forward Calls' will not cause outgoing GV calls to fail.

WTF?  Of course I know precisely how it works.  If I interpret "beep-beep-beep" to be a busy signal/error tone, then that is caused by not having Google Chat added as a forwarding phone.  I said, "Make sure that you have "Google Chat" added to the list of forwarding phones, and you have a check mark in the box to the left of it".  I added the check-mark admonition to also include enabling inbound calls.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 05, 2015, 01:58:16 AM

WTF?  Of course I know precisely how it works.  If I interpret "beep-beep-beep" to be a busy signal/error tone, then that is caused by not having Google Chat added as a forwarding phone.  I said, "Make sure that you have "Google Chat" added to the list of forwarding phones, and you have a check mark in the box to the left of it".  I added the check-mark admonition to also include enabling inbound calls.
robcraig70 wrote:

"When I call out it rings once and then beep-beep-beep".

Note the words "call out".

When calling out from an OBi on GV a beep-beep-beep or busy signal or error tone can be caused by many things but not having a check mark against Google Chat is not one of them.

robcraig70

Thanks for all the confusion guys!  I can get confused all by myself.

As I stated, I deleted Obi adapter and reset Obi box. Attempted to follow setup page from link sent.  I made the call from Gmail page.  I read that Chat plugin must be used.  Chat does not appear on https://www.google.com/voice#phones after making call from gmail and refreshing page, nor does forwarding.  

Thanks to all who help.

LTN1

Quote from: robcraig70 on November 05, 2015, 04:42:24 AM
Thanks for all the confusion guys!  I can get confused all by myself.

As I stated, I deleted Obi adapter and reset Obi box. Attempted to follow setup page from link sent.  I made the call from Gmail page.  I read that Chat plugin must be used.  Chat does not appear on https://www.google.com/voice#phones after making call and refreshing page, nor does forwarding.  

It shows a phone number at top of page with "Your Google voicemail access number", not "Your Number" as described in instructions.  This number works using the home phone.

Sometimes a picture or two is helpful. Do you have any snipping tools (Windows 7 has one built in) that can take an image of what you are seeing on your screen? For example, in the first attachment below, you will find your GV number (if you have it set up correctly) in the lower left hand side of the JPG. Assuming that and you've followed Steve's instructions (linked previously), you should see the Google chat option to check in the second JPG. If you think it will help, snip and attach a picture or two of what is showing on your screen when you are in GV.

LTN1

Quote from: robcraig70 on November 05, 2015, 06:58:57 AM
pic attached.  I have made many calls from gmail and chat does not appear on GV page.

Seems like you originally signed up for a Google Voice lite number and not the regular GV number. See this link for upgrading to a GV number first...then follow Steve's instructions.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/BWDWhxuhlmo

In Steve's instructions (you may have missed it), it states:
Verify that you see the exact two words "Your number" on the left side of the page, not "Access Number" or "Get a number", which would indicate that you don't have your own GV number.

drgeoff

@robcraig70
It isn't a good idea to expose those numbers, especially the cellphones, to the world at large.

Now that it has been determined that you don't have a GV number, I suggest you use the 'Remove' button to delete that post.

robcraig70

Quote from: LTN1 on November 05, 2015, 07:42:23 AM
pic attached.  I have made many calls from gmail and chat does not appear on GV page.

Seems like you originally signed up for a Google Voice lite number and not the regular GV number. See this link for upgrading to a GV number first...then follow Steve's instructions.

Verify that you see the exact two words "Your number" on the left side of the page, not "Access Number" or "Get a number", which would indicate that you don't have your own GV number.

I read Steve's instructions and it helped.  I have tried several days to get a number and I question whether the search option is working correctly.  It flashes yellow and then changes to red with error message
Thanks to all who help.

SteveInWA

Quote from: robcraig70 on November 05, 2015, 09:34:29 AM
Quote from: LTN1 on November 05, 2015, 07:42:23 AM

I read Steve's instructions and it helped.  I have tried several days to get a number and I question whether the search option is working correctly.  It flashes yellow and then changes to red with error message

The number search will return the vague, unhelpful error message if you are trying to sign up with a forwarding phone number that doesn't qualify.  You'll have to use a different forwarding number:  a valid, working mobile or traditional landline number located in the 48 contiguous US states, which hasn't been previously used by you, or by some previous holder, to request a GV number.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on November 05, 2015, 03:11:43 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on November 05, 2015, 01:58:16 AM

robcraig70 wrote:

"When I call out it rings once and then beep-beep-beep".

Note the words "call out".

When calling out from an OBi on GV a beep-beep-beep or busy signal or error tone can be caused by many things but not having a check mark against Google Chat is not one of them.

Now you're just being a tool.  The original title of this thread said "No calls in or out.  My first reply was to address the complete issue.  I could have told him that his post was too vague, and that he needed to tell the complete story, but the quickest thing was to simply start with that confirmation. If you had given me a chance to reply to his second post, before jumping on my answer, I would have taken it from there.

drgeoff

@SteveInWA
I think any level-headed person who reads my first post on this topic and your post immediately following it will come to a different opinion than yours about who jumped on whom.

My first post in no way countermanded, detracted from, criticised, disputed, or called into question anything you had written up to that point.  It was not even addressed at you.  It was intended to help the original poster.

By contrast your "Why not refrain from answering Google Voice questions, since you're in the UK where it isn't offered, and thus, not an expert." can be taken as unwarranted and offensive.  Regulars here will be aware that this is not the only time this week some of your posts have fallen short of your usual standard of civility.

None of which benefits the posters that the two of us and all others are trying to assist.

robcraig70

Thanks. I removed it.

Quote from: drgeoff on November 05, 2015, 09:00:21 AM
@robcraig70
It isn't a good idea to expose those numbers, especially the cellphones, to the world at large.

Now that it has been determined that you don't have a GV number, I suggest you use the 'Remove' button to delete that post.
Thanks to all who help.