News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up Google Voice on SP2 of OBi200?

Started by Yury, November 06, 2015, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yury

I am having a challenge forwarding Google Voice to my OBi200.

1. In January 2015 I have bought OBi200 and for testing purposes setup US Google Voice number on SP1; it worked OK.
2. Then I ported my Canadian landline number to Voip.MS
3. We failed to setup Voip.MS on SP1; so my Voip.MS was setup on SP1 and worked OK.
   I did not use my US Google Voice number since then (since it was overwritten by Voip.MS settings).

4. In March I "upgraded" my Rogers Internet connection and installed a new Hitron CGN3ACR cable modem.
As a result I had a challenge to make OBi200 working.
To resolve this issue I put an additional DIR-615 router behind Hitron CGN3ACR to create a special subnet for OBi200.
Voip.SM started working again, however network parameters of OBi200 have changed.
Is this important at all considering that Voip.MS worked OK on SP1?

5. In November 2015 I tried to setup Google Voice on SP2 using http://www.obitalk.com wizard.

According to http://www.obitalk.com Google Voice was setup OK on SP2:
- However I do not see SP2 enabled on OBi200
- my phone doesn't ring when I dial my Google Voice number;
 I left a message and it was recorded and forwarded to me by e-mail.

My Voip.MS number still works OK.

Does it mean that https://www.obitalk.com changes were not propagated to my OBi200 and that https://www.obitalk.com displays erroneous status?

P.S. I have my Google Voice calls forwarded to Google Chat on https://www.google.com/voice#phones

SteveInWA

I can't figure out what you are trying to do.  I also don't see how this has anything to do with your router(s), nor would adding another router in the chain help; if anything, it could cause more problems.

Let's start with some basics.

Google Voice is intended for use inside the 48 US states.  It cannot forward calls to non-US phone numbers.  If you already have an account with voip.ms, it makes sense to get that working on your OBi.

The OBiTALK device portal will automatically sync its settings to your OBi device, unless you have intentionally disabled this function on the device.

To receive inbound calls on a phone attached to an OBi device, you need to have a service provider configured on any one or more of the four Service Provider (SP) slots.  So, if you want to use voip.ms, for example, start over from scratch, to remove (clean up) any errors you may have introduced into your configuration:

• Unplug the OBi from the Ethernet cable, so it doesn't have a network connection.  Find the recessed reset button on the bottom of the OBi (a small round bump with a hole in it).  Use a paper clip to gently press and hold the reset switch for at least 10 seconds, until the power light starts blinking.  Release the paper clip, and wait a couple of minutes while the OBi does a factory reset.  Don't attach it to the internet yet.
  • Log onto the OBiTALK portal http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev.  Find and delete your OBi from the list of devices on the dashboard.
  • Plug the Ethernet cable back into the OBi.
  • Click the "Add device" link on the upper left corner of the page, and follow the on-screen instructions to dial **5 xxxx from the attached phone, and wait for it to be added.
  • After your OBi has been added, click on SP1, and it will take you to the device configuration menu page.  Scroll down to the very bottom of the page, and click the "Next" button under "OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers".
  • Find and click the link for voip.ms to get to the page that will allow you to enter your voip.ms credentials
  • Enjoy using voip.ms

Yury

I resolved this issue using only ObiTALK.com portal. To do this I
1. deleted OBi200 device
2. added the same device back (including dialing **5 xxxx from the attached phone)
3. set up  Google Voice; by default it was set up on SP1
4. deleted Google Voice on SP1
5. set up Google Voice on SP2
6. set up Voip.MS on SP1
---------------------------
All the above steps were implemented with default options.
Right now both Google Voice and Vop.MS work OK both ways.
The only outstanding issue right now is that by default Google Voice number is used for outgoing calls.

Root cause of this issue was lost connectivity between OBiTALK.com portal and OBi200 box.
"SP1 Status = Offline" (see screenshot #1) was an indication of this loss.
Dialing **5 xxxx (step #2) restored this connectivity.

Yury

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 07, 2015, 07:35:59 PMI also don't see how this has anything to do with your router(s), nor would adding another router in the chain help; if anything, it could cause more problems.
It's a know issue that Rogers Hitron CGN3ACR cable modem represents a challenge for OBihai.
I am not sure about exact root cause, but you can find quite a few people discussing this issue on the Internet.
Hitron CGN3ACR introduced new Gateway/Mask.
When I added DIR-615 behind Hitron CGN3ACR, I configured DIR-615 with the same Gateway/Mask that was used by my old cable modem prior to upgrade to Hitron CGN3ACR.

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 07, 2015, 07:35:59 PMGoogle Voice is intended for use inside the 48 US states.  
It cannot forward calls to non-US phone numbers.  
I forward my US Google Voice number to OBi200 box/SP2.
My Canadian Voip.MS number is used with OBi200 box/SP1.
So when I am at home in Canada I can use the same Panasonic phone with both US and Canadian phone numbers.

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 07, 2015, 07:35:59 PM
If you already have an account with voip.ms, it makes sense to get that working on your OBi.
Voip.MS worked OK since January 2015.
My question was about Google Voice.

drgeoff

Quote from: Yury on November 08, 2015, 09:09:23 AM
The only outstanding issue right now is that by default Google Voice number is used for outgoing calls.
What do you mean by "default Google Voice number"?  https://support.google.com/chat/answer/187925?hl=en

Unlike some other VoIP service providers, GV does not have the facility to spoof your Caller ID.

Yury

Quote from: drgeoff on November 08, 2015, 09:59:12 AM
Quote from: Yury on November 08, 2015, 09:09:23 AM
What do you mean by "default Google Voice number"?
When I pick up a handset and dial in a phone number, I make a call using Google Voice.
I want to use Voip.MS for such calls.

drgeoff

Set the PrimaryLine to SP1 (which is voip.ms).

That setting is under Physical Interfaces, Phone Port.

Yury

Quote from: drgeoff on November 08, 2015, 12:45:51 PM

1. I unchecked "Make this the primary line" on SP2 and checked this option on SP1.

drgeoff

Quote from: Yury on November 08, 2015, 02:07:18 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on November 08, 2015, 12:45:51 PM

1. I unchecked "Make this the primary line" on SP2 and checked this option on SP1.
Are you saying that has done the trick?

Yury

Quote from: drgeoff on November 08, 2015, 03:03:50 PM
Quote from: Yury on November 08, 2015, 02:07:18 PM
Are you saying that has done the trick?
Unchecking "Make this the primary line" on SP2 and checked this option on SP1 made SP1 line primary.
It means that by default all outgoing calls will use SP1 (Voip.MS).